    If you have a rental house for students, can I put in the aggreement that
    they are responsible to shovel the side walk and snow? What if there was
    an accident on the sidewalk, who would be responsible?

    lbbs, Jul 7, 2003

  2. lbbs

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Errrrr...erm... lbbs said:

    > If you have a rental house for students, can I put in the aggreement that
    > they are responsible to shovel the side walk and snow? What if there was
    > an accident on the sidewalk, who would be responsible?

    The person who shovels the snow is responsible for any accidents/injuries.
    Leave it to the local authorities to clear snow.

    --
    www.absey-vine.co.uk/
    freeware, helpdesk, ad-aware

    Brian H¹©, Jul 7, 2003

  3. lbbs

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as lbbs continued:

    > If you have a rental house for students, can I put in the aggreement
    > that they are responsible to shovel the side walk and snow? What
    > if there was an accident on the sidewalk, who would be responsible?

    You are renting to four students. Therefore (a) any agreement will be worth
    fuckall when it comes to it, and (b) I would worry more about the four walls
    still being upright when they leave.
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, Jul 7, 2003
  4. "slumpy" <> wrote in message
    | "So, Mr Slumpy you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't you ?" I
    | threw back my head and roared with laughter as lbbs continued:
    |
    | > If you have a rental house for students, can I put in the aggreement
    | > that they are responsible to shovel the side walk and snow? What
    | > if there was an accident on the sidewalk, who would be responsible?
    |
    | You are renting to four students. Therefore (a) any agreement will be worth
    | fuckall when it comes to it, and (b) I would worry more about the four walls
    | still being upright when they leave.
    | --
    <snip>

    Yes totally cause all us students are idiots who wreck rental properties at
    whatever chance we get.

    *raises eyebrows sarcastically*

    Michael Payne, Jul 7, 2003
  5. lbbs

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as Michael Payne continued:

    > "slumpy" <> wrote in message
    >> ?" I threw back my head and roared with laughter as lbbs continued:
    >>
    >>> If you have a rental house for students, can I put in the aggreement
    >>> that they are responsible to shovel the side walk and snow? What
    >>> if there was an accident on the sidewalk, who would be responsible?

    >> You are renting to four students. Therefore (a) any agreement will
    >> be worth fuckall when it comes to it, and (b) I would worry more
    >> about the four walls still being upright when they leave.
    >> --

    > <snip>
    >
    > Yes totally cause all us students are idiots who wreck rental
    > properties at whatever chance we get.
    >
    > *raises eyebrows sarcastically*

    You can raise them to the roof, I've been there, done that. And if I wanted
    something to worry about, a bit of snow out front would *not* be top of my
    list, and *that* is the point I was making.
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, Jul 7, 2003
  6. lbbs

    John Guest

    it would depend on the rules as defined by your state/provincial rental law
    guidelines if you are able to write on the lease that the tenant(s) are
    responsible for cleaning the sidewalk.
    in quebec, information can be found via La Regie du Logement; you should be
    able to find a similar govt office wherever you are living which can provide
    the information.

    but if an accident happened on the sidewalk (e.g., a path located on your
    property leading to the city/town's sidewalk/street) then you as the owner
    are responsible; your property insurance covers you.

    even if your lease would state the students are responsible for cleaning
    your pathway, it would be your insurance which would be negatively affected
    by any claim should a tenant or a visitor on your property injure
    him/herself.

    John, Jul 7, 2003
  7. lbbs

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Errrrr...erm... John said:

    > it would depend on the rules as defined by your state/provincial rental law
    > guidelines if you are able to write on the lease that the tenant(s) are
    > responsible for cleaning the sidewalk.
    > in quebec, information can be found via La Regie du Logement; you should be
    > able to find a similar govt office wherever you are living which can provide
    > the information.
    >
    > but if an accident happened on the sidewalk (e.g., a path located on your
    > property leading to the city/town's sidewalk/street) then you as the owner
    > are responsible; your property insurance covers you.

    I don't think so.
    What if a neighbour decided to "do you a favour" and clear the area for you,
    *without* your consent or knowledge?

    Brian H¹©, Jul 7, 2003
  8. lbbs

    slumpy Guest