Rental DVD Scam??

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Scott, Oct 30, 2004.

  1. Scott

    Scott Guest

    HI all

    I have recently rented a few discs, "Monster" and "Ash Wednesday" to name 2
    which were subject to a rental window.

    Both discs had there cover marked as having a 5.1 soundtrack on them yet
    when I got them home and played them there was actually only a 2.0
    soundtrack o both discs.

    Is this a Studio/film co scam in an attempt to fight piracy by any chance.

    ASFAIK "monster" was definitely released for sale with a 5.1 soundtrack yet
    the rental version didnt have this.

    It seems a bit poor to be shortchanging rental customers in this way and
    making them suffer because multi billion dollar corporations are losing a
    few quid to pirates.

    Not happy that the films I am watching do not contain what is described on
    the cover

    GRRRR

    Thanks

    Scott

    Scott, Oct 30, 2004

  2. "Scott" <scott251170 > wrote in message
    > HI all
    >
    > I have recently rented a few discs, "Monster" and "Ash Wednesday" to name

    2
    > which were subject to a rental window.
    >
    > Both discs had there cover marked as having a 5.1 soundtrack on them yet
    > when I got them home and played them there was actually only a 2.0
    > soundtrack o both discs.
    >
    > Is this a Studio/film co scam in an attempt to fight piracy by any chance.
    >
    > ASFAIK "monster" was definitely released for sale with a 5.1 soundtrack

    yet
    > the rental version didnt have this.
    >
    > It seems a bit poor to be shortchanging rental customers in this way and
    > making them suffer because multi billion dollar corporations are losing a
    > few quid to pirates.
    >
    > Not happy that the films I am watching do not contain what is described on
    > the cover

    I have found quite a few DVD disks where either the sound or the aspect
    ratio isn't what it says on the packaging. I suspect that it is usually a
    cock up somewhere in the art department.

    Ian.

    Electrik Fan Club, Nov 1, 2004