    obviously they are probably going to change for a replacement if the TA
    gets fried.

    Why do you suppose they do it this way?

    Rick Merrill, Feb 24, 2005

  2. Rick Merrill

    David Floyd Guest

    In message of Thu, 24 Feb 2005, Rick Merrill writes
    >Most internet service providers (ISP) will rent the modem to you.

    I've never heard of that. Most ISPs sell the modem to you.

    DF

    David Floyd, Feb 24, 2005

  3. Rick Merrill

    Yaser Doleh Guest

    Most cable companies in the US will rent you a cablemodem for $5/month.

    Yaser Doleh, Feb 24, 2005
  4. Most home installs are do-it-your-self projects and lightnng protection and
    proper grounding may not be done. The OP implied he was thinking about
    lighting damage so it may be a problem in his aera. Some protection devices
    may block the ADSL signal but newer devices don't. You can also isolate the
    modem and PC with transformers designed for comercial use for futher
    protection. Use of a wireless link to the PC is another form of protection.
    The eazy way out maybe to buy spare modems on ebay and use them as a fuse.
    Here Bellsouth offers a 10 day warranty on self installs and one year on pro
    installs. Ebay is less than $50 for modems with shipping and Bellsouth is
    $120.

    Stanley Reynolds, Feb 24, 2005
  5. Rick Merrill

    David Floyd Guest

    In message of Thu, 24 Feb 2005, Yaser Doleh writes
    >Most cable companies in the US will rent you a cablemodem for $5/month.

    Exactly!! My point being that are an awful lot of people who think that
    everyone lives in the USA or people outside of USA don't count.

    David Floyd, Feb 24, 2005
  6. Rick Merrill

    Ian Guest

    Rick Merrill <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Most internet service providers (ISP) will rent the modem to you.
    > But my VoIP provider "sells" the telephone adapter (TA) to you, and then
    > the provider turns around and gives you "credit" for the cost. But
    > obviously they are probably going to change for a replacement if the TA
    > gets fried.
    >
    > Why do you suppose they do it this way?

    Well How many posts do you see asking how to unlock ATA/Phone Xyz so I
    can use another VOIP supplier? But still saying that some do, BT in
    the UK do as do/did many of the US based suppliers. Remember many VOIP
    companies are startups and dont have the capital to supply many ATA's
    at little cost and also no chance of getting them back.

    Ian

    Ian, Feb 24, 2005
  7. Rick Merrill

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Ian wrote:
    > Rick Merrill <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >
    >>Most internet service providers (ISP) will rent the modem to you.
    >>But my VoIP provider "sells" the telephone adapter (TA) to you, and then
    >>the provider turns around and gives you "credit" for the cost. But
    >>obviously they are probably going to change for a replacement if the TA
    >>gets fried.
    >>
    >>Why do you suppose they do it this way?

    > Well How many posts do you see asking how to unlock ATA/Phone Xyz so I
    > can use another VOIP supplier? But still saying that some do, BT in
    > the UK do as do/did many of the US based suppliers. Remember many VOIP
    > companies are startups and dont have the capital to supply many ATA's
    > at little cost and also no chance of getting them back.
    >
    > Ian

    Let me rephrase that: why do they Give Away the TA instead of Renting
    it? In other words they have gone the capital intensive route.

    Rick Merrill, Feb 24, 2005
  8. Rick Merrill

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <> Rick Merrill
    <> wrote:

    >Let me rephrase that: why do they Give Away the TA instead of Renting
    >it? In other words they have gone the capital intensive route.

    Because they don't want to be responsible when the customer tries to
    connect the ATA to their house's internal wiring, fries the adapter by
    not disconnecting the telco wiring.

    --
    Just sit through this NRA meeting Marge, and if you still
    don't think guns are great then we'll argue some more.

    DevilsPGD, Feb 24, 2005
  9. Rick Merrill

    Ivor Jones Guest

    DevilsPGD wrote:
    > In message <> Rick Merrill
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Let me rephrase that: why do they Give Away the TA instead of
    >> Renting it? In other words they have gone the capital intensive
    >> route.

    > Because they don't want to be responsible when the customer tries to
    > connect the ATA to their house's internal wiring, fries the adapter
    > by not disconnecting the telco wiring.

    And why (or even how) would anyone even want to do that..? Do you plug
    your table lamps into the phone socket..?

    BTW here in the UK nobody gives away anything. You either rent things or
    buy them. Well some broadband providers have given away cheap USB modems
    but I don't count them as nobody with any sense uses them.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Feb 24, 2005
  10. Rick Merrill

    Vox Humana Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    > DevilsPGD wrote:
    > > In message <> Rick Merrill
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Let me rephrase that: why do they Give Away the TA instead of
    > >> Renting it? In other words they have gone the capital intensive
    > >> route.

    > > Because they don't want to be responsible when the customer tries to
    > > connect the ATA to their house's internal wiring, fries the adapter
    > > by not disconnecting the telco wiring.

    > And why (or even how) would anyone even want to do that..? Do you plug
    > your table lamps into the phone socket..?

    I am considering plugging my adaptor into the house phone wiring when I
    finally decide on a VOIP provider. Of course, I will disconnect the phone
    company's line where it enters the house. The reason for connecting that
    ATA to the home's phone wiring is to have a dial tone on existing phones
    instead of purchasing a half dozen wireless phones. As for the how, that is
    relatively easy. You would just connect the ATA with to a wall jack with an
    extension cord. You could also just unplug the phone company's line from
    the service entry point box and plug in a line from the ATA.

    Vox Humana, Feb 24, 2005
  11. Rick Merrill

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <> "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >DevilsPGD wrote:
    >> In message <> Rick Merrill
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Let me rephrase that: why do they Give Away the TA instead of
    >>> Renting it? In other words they have gone the capital intensive
    >>> route.

    >> Because they don't want to be responsible when the customer tries to
    >> connect the ATA to their house's internal wiring, fries the adapter
    >> by not disconnecting the telco wiring.

    >And why (or even how) would anyone even want to do that..? Do you plug
    >your table lamps into the phone socket..?

    The why is simple: To replace your phoneline with a broadband phone
    service.

    I've done this pretty much since the day I got VoIP for everyone in the
    house, not just me -- Rather then running phone cables from the ATA
    around the house to the various places we needed phone hookups, it's
    easier to place the ATA near a point where you can wire it into the
    house's wiring and use the house's wiring from there.

    After that, the kids can plug their phones in using the jacks in their
    rooms, the phone in the living room automatically works, so does the one
    mounted on the wall in your kitchen.

    It's not that hard to do if you have a bit of basic wiring skills, but
    you need to be damn sure that you disconnect the uplink to the telco
    even if the line is canceled and even if your telco doesn't provide
    voltage on disconnected lines.

    --
    My news reader can beat up your news reader

    DevilsPGD, Feb 24, 2005
  12. Rick Merrill

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Vox Humana wrote:

    > "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>DevilsPGD wrote:

    >>>Because they don't want to be responsible when the customer tries to
    >>>connect the ATA to their house's internal wiring, fries the adapter
    >>>by not disconnecting the telco wiring.

    >>And why (or even how) would anyone even want to do that..? Do you plug
    >>your table lamps into the phone socket..?
    >>

    > I am considering plugging my adaptor into the house phone wiring when I
    > finally decide on a VOIP provider. Of course, I will disconnect the phone
    > company's line where it enters the house. The reason for connecting that
    > ATA to the home's phone wiring is to have a dial tone on existing phones
    > instead of purchasing a half dozen wireless phones.

    re: existing phones: find out how many phones your TA will support (some
    support "one" and some "3") and how many REN you have presently.

    > As for the how, that is
    > relatively easy. You would just connect the ATA with to a wall jack with an
    > extension cord. You could also just unplug the phone company's line from
    > the service entry point box and plug in a line from the ATA.

    If you are in a duplex or apartment house especially make sure to label
    the disconnected lines so no one else will reconnect them (for you)!

    Rick Merrill, Feb 25, 2005
  13. Rick Merrill

    Vox Humana Guest

    > Vox Humana wrote:
    >
    > > "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message

    > >>And why (or even how) would anyone even want to do that..? Do you plug
    > >>your table lamps into the phone socket..?
    > >>

    > > I am considering plugging my adaptor into the house phone wiring when I
    > > finally decide on a VOIP provider. Of course, I will disconnect the

    phone
    > > company's line where it enters the house. The reason for connecting

    that
    > > ATA to the home's phone wiring is to have a dial tone on existing phones
    > > instead of purchasing a half dozen wireless phones.

    > re: existing phones: find out how many phones your TA will support (some
    > support "one" and some "3") and how many REN you have presently.
    >
    > > As for the how, that is
    > > relatively easy. You would just connect the ATA with to a wall jack with

    an
    > > extension cord. You could also just unplug the phone company's line

    from
    > > the service entry point box and plug in a line from the ATA.

    > If you are in a duplex or apartment house especially make sure to label
    > the disconnected lines so no one else will reconnect them (for you)!

    I don't live in a multi-unit dwelling so the reconnection issue shouldn't be
    a problem. Since I am new to this, I'm not sure I understand your point
    about how many phones the adapter will support. I keep reading that most
    have two jacks. I assumed (maybe incorrectly?) that a unique phone number
    could be assigned to each jack, not that the adapter would support only two
    phones. I hadn't thought of looking at the RENS. I see that the closest
    ones say 0.0B, 0.1B. 0.7B. What is the "B" all about?

    Also, I called the VOIP provider that I was most interested in and they said
    that they could assign as many number as I wanted to a single ATA. I guess
    I don't understand how that works. Since I am only interested in two
    numbers - my local number being ported over and a 800 number, I didn't press
    the issue.

    Vox Humana, Feb 25, 2005
  14. Rick Merrill

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Vox Humana wrote:
    .... Since I am new to this, I'm not sure I understand your point
    > about how many phones the adapter will support. I keep reading that most
    > have two jacks. I assumed (maybe incorrectly?) that a unique phone number
    > could be assigned to each jack, not that the adapter would support only two
    > phones. I hadn't thought of looking at the RENS. I see that the closest
    > ones say 0.0B, 0.1B. 0.7B. What is the "B" all about?
    >
    > Also, I called the VOIP provider that I was most interested in and they said
    > that they could assign as many number as I wanted to a single ATA. I guess
    > I don't understand how that works. Since I am only interested in two
    > numbers - my local number being ported over and a 800 number, I didn't press
    > the issue.

    The telephone adapter (TA) can only drive so many loads, usually fewer
    phones than the POTS (plain old telephone system) line could drive. Ask
    the prospective VoIP providers what REN they support and they probably
    do not know! They are told (usually) to tell you to buy a cordless phone
    with multiple handsets (i.e. have the TA drive one phone base).

    The VoIP providers can have several lines (phone numbers) go to a single
    TA.

    The two jacks are the equivalent of a two-line house: each drives one
    phone number to one (sometimes more) phones.

    Bottom line: choose a provider; disconnect ALL your incoming lines;
    attach a single phone to the AT (or ATA) and get it going; then you can
    hook it to your house hold wiring.

    Rick Merrill, Feb 25, 2005
  15. The B is for Bell.
    Analog phones lines increase the current to trigger the ringer. The ringer
    used to be a physical bell.
    Your 0.0B is most likely a cordless phone which uses house power to run, so
    doesn't have a power draw when ringing.
    Also, if you turn off the ringer on a phone, you can disregard the REN.
    I used to use a 3Com ISDN TA for voice and it would only power 4 ringing
    phones. Adding a 5th phone would cause them all to not ring. Switching off
    the ringer on the 5th phone fixed the problem. It had a REN of 3, but some
    of my phones had a REN of below 1.

    --
    Steven BerkHolz
    Send to Domain TESCOGroup dot com, username SB

    Note: you may also want to know that you should never send mail to:

    -abuse.org

    BerkHolz, Steven, Feb 25, 2005
  16. Rick Merrill

    Vox Humana Guest

    > Vox Humana wrote:
    > ... Since I am new to this, I'm not sure I understand your point
    > > about how many phones the adapter will support. I keep reading that

    most
    > > have two jacks. I assumed (maybe incorrectly?) that a unique phone

    number
    > > could be assigned to each jack, not that the adapter would support only

    two
    > > phones. I hadn't thought of looking at the RENS. I see that the

    closest
    > > ones say 0.0B, 0.1B. 0.7B. What is the "B" all about?
    > >
    > > Also, I called the VOIP provider that I was most interested in and they

    said
    > > that they could assign as many number as I wanted to a single ATA. I

    guess
    > > I don't understand how that works. Since I am only interested in two
    > > numbers - my local number being ported over and a 800 number, I didn't

    press
    > > the issue.

    > The telephone adapter (TA) can only drive so many loads, usually fewer
    > phones than the POTS (plain old telephone system) line could drive. Ask
    > the prospective VoIP providers what REN they support and they probably
    > do not know! They are told (usually) to tell you to buy a cordless phone
    > with multiple handsets (i.e. have the TA drive one phone base).
    >
    > The VoIP providers can have several lines (phone numbers) go to a single
    > TA.
    >
    > The two jacks are the equivalent of a two-line house: each drives one
    > phone number to one (sometimes more) phones.
    >
    > Bottom line: choose a provider; disconnect ALL your incoming lines;
    > attach a single phone to the AT (or ATA) and get it going; then you can
    > hook it to your house hold wiring.

    Thanks. I looked at the documentation for the Lynksys ATA used by Teliax
    and it says it has a REN of 5. Can I assume that if I add up the RENS of
    all my phones, they need to be under 5? My plan is to get an 800 number and
    get everything working. Then, I will have the home number ported over,
    disconnect the phone company line where it enters the house, and replace it
    with a line from the ATA.

    Vox Humana, Feb 25, 2005
  17. Rick Merrill

    Vox Humana Guest

    "BerkHolz, Steven" <> wrote in message
    > The B is for Bell.
    > Analog phones lines increase the current to trigger the ringer. The

    ringer
    > used to be a physical bell.
    > Your 0.0B is most likely a cordless phone which uses house power to run,

    so
    > doesn't have a power draw when ringing.
    > Also, if you turn off the ringer on a phone, you can disregard the REN.
    > I used to use a 3Com ISDN TA for voice and it would only power 4 ringing
    > phones. Adding a 5th phone would cause them all to not ring. Switching off
    > the ringer on the 5th phone fixed the problem. It had a REN of 3, but

    some
    > of my phones had a REN of below 1.

    Thanks. Yes, most of my phones are cordless and have very low RENs except
    for the fax machine. Two already have the ringers turned off, so I think I
    will be well below the 5REN specified in the ATA's documentation.

    Vox Humana, Feb 25, 2005
  18. Rick Merrill

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Vox Humana wrote:
    > "Rick Merrill" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Vox Humana wrote:
    >>... Since I am new to this, I'm not sure I understand your point
    >>
    >>>about how many phones the adapter will support. I keep reading that

    > most
    >
    >>>have two jacks. I assumed (maybe incorrectly?) that a unique phone

    > number
    >
    >>>could be assigned to each jack, not that the adapter would support only

    > two
    >
    >>>phones. I hadn't thought of looking at the RENS. I see that the

    > closest
    >
    >>>ones say 0.0B, 0.1B. 0.7B. What is the "B" all about?
    >>>
    >>>Also, I called the VOIP provider that I was most interested in and they

    > said
    >
    >>>that they could assign as many number as I wanted to a single ATA. I

    > guess
    >
    >>>I don't understand how that works. Since I am only interested in two
    >>>numbers - my local number being ported over and a 800 number, I didn't

    > press
    >
    >>>the issue.

    >>The telephone adapter (TA) can only drive so many loads, usually fewer
    >>phones than the POTS (plain old telephone system) line could drive. Ask
    >>the prospective VoIP providers what REN they support and they probably
    >>do not know! They are told (usually) to tell you to buy a cordless phone
    >>with multiple handsets (i.e. have the TA drive one phone base).
    >>
    >>The VoIP providers can have several lines (phone numbers) go to a single
    >>TA.
    >>
    >>The two jacks are the equivalent of a two-line house: each drives one
    >>phone number to one (sometimes more) phones.
    >>
    >>Bottom line: choose a provider; disconnect ALL your incoming lines;
    >>attach a single phone to the AT (or ATA) and get it going; then you can
    >>hook it to your house hold wiring.

    > Thanks. I looked at the documentation for the Lynksys ATA used by Teliax
    > and it says it has a REN of 5. Can I assume that if I add up the RENS of
    > all my phones, they need to be under 5?

    That's right. As another mentioned, you can also turn off ringers.

    > My plan is to get an 800 number and
    > get everything working. Then, I will have the home number ported over,
    > disconnect the phone company line where it enters the house, and replace it
    > with a line from the ATA.

    Sounds good.

    Rick Merrill, Feb 25, 2005
  19. Rick Merrill

    Isaiah Beard Guest

    Rick Merrill wrote:

    >> Well How many posts do you see asking how to unlock ATA/Phone Xyz so I
    >> can use another VOIP supplier? But still saying that some do, BT in
    >> the UK do as do/did many of the US based suppliers. Remember many VOIP
    >> companies are startups and dont have the capital to supply many ATA's
    >> at little cost and also no chance of getting them back.
    >>
    >> Ian

    > Let me rephrase that: why do they Give Away the TA instead of Renting
    > it? In other words they have gone the capital intensive route.

    Well, it's not so much a giveaway in many cases. They've actually
    followed a route very similar to US cell phone companies, where the
    equipment is actually subsidized to the user, and it just seems like it
    was given away.

    Take for instance, Packet8. They will give you a "free" router in the
    mail, but you must pay for shipping (the cost of which is heavily
    padded) and about $20 for "activation," which could have been justified
    back in the day when humans actually had to do manual labor to get phone
    service set up for an end user, but considering that in the age of VoIP,
    the end user is now doing the installation of the device AS WELL AS
    inputting all of the account info in a web form and activating the
    account themselves over the web, this fee is really all profit and no
    labor for the VoIP provider.

    Add to this the notion that in Packet8's case, the end user has
    effectively agreed to commit to a year of service (it used to be six
    months), or else they get charged a $59 termination fee when the account
    is closed. You can bet this fee is to recoup the "loss" of their
    device, and that they presume that after one year of paid service they
    have garnered enough income to offset the cost of the equipment.

    Other providers do things a bit differently. Vonage's retail operation
    charges $50 for the adapter, but offers a $50 rebate. Vonage, just like
    any other company that offers discounts through mail-in rebates, knows
    that the actual follow-through rate of such rebate programs is very low.
    While us savvy bargain hunters have no problems clipping UPC labels
    and filling out forms *just so* such that they're not deemed ineligible,
    most of the general public will either forget about the rebate, not
    follow the instructions and get disqualified, or decide it's too much
    work. And for those of us that DO claim our rebates (or orders online
    directly through Vonage), Vonage still catches us with the activation
    fee (which is again, free money).

    In short, I wouldn't worry too much about VoIP providers going out of
    business by giving away adapaters. Most of them partially recoup the
    cost right away through other startup fees, and the rest is recovered in
    the profits obtained through the monthly service fee over time (probably
    about 3-5 months in reality).

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

    Isaiah Beard, Feb 25, 2005
  20. Rick Merrill

    Isaiah Beard Guest

    Rick Merrill wrote:

    >> I am considering plugging my adaptor into the house phone wiring when I
    >> finally decide on a VOIP provider. Of course, I will disconnect the
    >> phone
    >> company's line where it enters the house. The reason for connecting that
    >> ATA to the home's phone wiring is to have a dial tone on existing phones
    >> instead of purchasing a half dozen wireless phones.

    > re: existing phones: find out how many phones your TA will support (some
    > support "one" and some "3") and how many REN you have presently.

    Some are now supportuing a REN of up to 5, such as the Linksys PAP2.

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

    Isaiah Beard, Feb 25, 2005