Rent A Cert, a good or bad idea for Cisco partners and cert holders?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by www.BradReese.Com, Sep 27, 2007.

  1. www.BradReese.Com, Sep 27, 2007

  2. Good point on the erosion of the value of Cisco certs. One would assume
    that if this was a great idea with minimal risk, VARs would have been
    doing it already. It would seem that there's too much risk for cert
    value erosion and abuse by shady companies.

    fugettaboutit, Sep 27, 2007

  3. You make an excellent point.

    Rent A Cert states:

    "We, of course, will not divulge our client list to either company."

    http://www.rentacert.com/faq.aspx#c2

    Unless of course you get into a payment dispute with Rent A Cert!

    Talk about holding a knife to the throats of its customers.

    Pay us what we think you owe us or we will report you to Cisco and
    Microsoft.

    ------------------------------------

    More blogs about the Rent A Cert website:

    http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/20012

    as well as

    http://cciepursuit.wordpress.com/2007/09/27/rent-your-cisco-certification-for-cash/

    www.BradReese.Com, Sep 28, 2007
  4. www.BradReese.Com

    Guest

    Hi Everyone,

    Rent A Cert here. We appreciate that everyone here has taken the time
    to look into our comapny. If we can answer any questions, let us know
    and we shall reply.

    A few things I'd like to add. First, we're IT people, and we're here
    to add value to the certification rather than take from it. In
    today's market, I've found from personal experience that
    certifications generally just act as a means of getting in the door to
    an interview. Unless you're working for some specific IT consulting
    companies (and a vast majority of IT staff isn't -- most of us work
    directly for an IT department in a non-IT company), your company isn't
    going to get any benefit to your certifications. Therefore, by
    allowing your certification to be rented out, we hope certified
    individuals will get the current value (a nod into job interviews) and
    the additional value (direct compensation for specific
    certifications).

    Second, our site states that we will not disclose our clients to
    Microsoft or Cisco. I'd like to clarify that under any circumstances
    that we can control (with the foreseeable exceptions of court order or
    Cisco hacking our PIX firewall using a secret backdoor that only they
    know about ;)), this is without exception. Using name disclosure as a
    way to force your hand would be wrong, hurt our credibility, and is
    plainly something we will not do.

    Thanks,

    ~ Rent A Cert Support ~
    E-mail: info at rentacert.com