renew IP fails

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by E-Queen, May 4, 2005.

  1. E-Queen

    E-Queen Guest

    I've bought THREE new laptops in a week.
    I've returned the first two, thinking something is wrong with them, but
    now the third is doing it.

    When attempting to connect to my wireless network, I get excellent
    connectivity, but it won't assign a decent ip to it. It should be giving
    me 192.168.1.25 or so - but instead it gives me 169.xxx.xx.xx. That
    doesn't work.

    I've read everything everywhere for a week. I've patched, uninstalled,
    reinstalled and I just don't know what else to do.

    I tried manually assigning - but I don't seem to know exactly what
    numbers go where.

    I have two desktops that have no trouble with their wireless connections.

    It's a Linksys WRT54GS and similar cards on the desktops.
    The laptops have had various cards.

    Is there any fix for this? From the on line stuff I've seen, this is a
    huge problem - but I couldn't find any messages on this list that seemed
    to address it directly.

    Thanks for any help! I'm desperate and worn out.

    Gina

    E-Queen, May 4, 2005

  2. Hi

    From what you have said, it is clear that laptop is unable to connect the
    router which is assigning the ipadress.so you are getting 169.x.x.x or giving
    a error "Renew ip fails".

    Make sure that you enter the correct "SECURITY KEY" if you have enabled it
    on the router(you can try by the security key in the "DISABLED" mode . .so
    you can figure out if there is some thing wrong in the "Security Key" . .
    ..when done trying enable the security key back for your safety).

    If you want to try the manual settings.you can input this values
    (Hope you didnt change the Ipadress of the router)

    Ipadress: 192.168.1.30
    subnet mask:255.255.255.0
    default gateway:192.168.1.1

    Preffered DNS Server :192.168.1.1

    setup all these values in the TCP/IP properties of your wireless card or
    device.

    Hope you figure out some thing . . . .

    =?Utf-8?B?cHJhc2hhbnRo?=, May 4, 2005

  3. E-Queen

    Ted Guest

    The 169.x.x.x is Microsofts way of telling you that it is unable to reach
    the DHCP server which is your router. Check your router settings and make
    sure your Start IP address ends with 10 or 100 to keep it away from the
    router IP address. Make sure you have set it with enough range to cover all
    your computers. The answer is there somewhere. Google Linksys 169.xxx .
    Ted

    Ted, May 4, 2005
  4. E-Queen

    Brit W. [MS] Guest

    "Ted" <> wrote in

    > The 169.x.x.x is Microsofts way of telling you that it is unable to
    > reach the DHCP server which is your router. Check your router
    > settings and make sure your Start IP address ends with 10 or 100 to
    > keep it away from the router IP address. Make sure you have set it
    > with enough range to cover all your computers. The answer is there
    > somewhere. Google Linksys 169.xxx . Ted
    >
    > "E-Queen" <> wrote in message
    >> I've bought THREE new laptops in a week.
    >> I've returned the first two, thinking something is wrong with them,
    >> but now the third is doing it.
    >>
    >> When attempting to connect to my wireless network, I get excellent
    >> connectivity, but it won't assign a decent ip to it. It should be
    >> giving me 192.168.1.25 or so - but instead it gives me 169.xxx.xx.xx.
    >> That doesn't work.
    >>
    >> I've read everything everywhere for a week. I've patched,
    >> uninstalled, reinstalled and I just don't know what else to do.
    >>
    >> I tried manually assigning - but I don't seem to know exactly what
    >> numbers go where.
    >>
    >> I have two desktops that have no trouble with their wireless
    >> connections.
    >>
    >> It's a Linksys WRT54GS and similar cards on the desktops.
    >> The laptops have had various cards.
    >>
    >> Is there any fix for this? From the on line stuff I've seen, this is
    >> a huge problem - but I couldn't find any messages on this list that
    >> seemed to address it directly.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help! I'm desperate and worn out.
    >>
    >> Gina

    Additionally, it sounds like your computer is configured to use
    Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA). By default TCP/IP uses APIAP to
    provide automatic configuration when a DHCP server is not present, APIPA
    uses the IP address range 169.254.0.1 to 169.254.255.254 and the subnet
    mask 255.255.0.0. (you can verify that range and mask by right-clicking
    on the connection icon in Network Connections, clicking "Status," then
    selecting the "Support" tab. IF DHCP is enabled, "Address Type" should
    indicate "Assigned by DHCP."

    If the Support tab does not indicate "Assigned by DHCP," and the IP
    range is 169.254.0.1 to 169.254.255.254 and the subnet mask 255.255.0.0,
    you may just need to enable DHCP on the laptop by configuring TCP/IP for
    dynamic addressing:

    Open "Network Connections. "
    Right-click the network connection that you want to configure, and then
    click "Properties."
    On the General tab (for a local area connection) or the Networking tab
    (for all other connections), click "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)," and
    then click "Properties."
    Click "Obtain an IP address automatically," and then click "OK."

    --
    Brit Weston, Microsoft

    Please do not send email directly to this alias. This is my online
    account name for newsgroup participation only.

    rights.

    Brit W. [MS], May 6, 2005