    current new account and hope that I get a login for the original Admin
    account after reboot/logoff?

    THANKS

    =?Utf-8?B?aGloaQ==?=, Oct 14, 2005

  2. The only way I know to access Administrator at log in is either through Safe
    Mode or enabling Classic log on.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Oct 14, 2005

  3. hihi wrote:
    > Hi there, stupid question:
    >
    > I renamed the Administrator account (for security reasons) and created
    > another account (temporarily an Admin group member). During the same session
    > both were available
    > choices to switch to, but now after a reboot I only have
    > access to the new account I created. How can I
    > see both accounts as choices to login into? Is it safe to delete the
    > current new account and hope that I get a login for the original Admin
    > account after reboot/logoff?
    >
    > THANKS

    As you've learned, once any additional user accounts have been
    created, the built-in Administrator account (regardless of what it's
    named) will no longer be displayed on the Welcome Screen. This is a
    default security feature. By design, the only way to log into the
    Administrator account of WinXP Pro, is by pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL twice at
    the Welcome Screen, or rebooting into Safe Mode.

    The built-in Administrator account really isn't intended to be
    used for day-to-day normal use. The standard security practice is to
    set a strong password on it and use it only to create another account
    for regular use, reserving the Administrator account as a "back door"
    in case something corrupts your regular account(s).

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Bruce Chambers, Oct 14, 2005
  4. I run as Administrator anyway. Bad practice, but its soooooooooooooooooo
    goood. :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Oct 14, 2005
  5. Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
    > I run as Administrator anyway. Bad practice, but its soooooooooooooooooo
    > goood. :)

    As long as you're willing and able to deal with the potential
    consequences, the choice is certainly yours. A technically competent
    user who is aware of the risks and knows how to take proper precautions
    can usually safely operate with administrative privileges; I do so
    myself. I simply don't recommend it for the majority of people.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Bruce Chambers, Oct 14, 2005
  6. Well, I have my Windows FireWall turned, AntiSpyware, AntiVirus installed
    and fully update, Automatic Updates turned on, I don't go to p0rn sites,
    don't go to sites that harbour malicious programs such as WAREZ sites, and I
    back up regularly.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Oct 14, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?aGloaQ==?=

    Randy Guest

    Yeah, but do you take your vitamins, exercise, and pray before bed?
    hehhehheh... Hulkamania rulz.

    Randy, Oct 15, 2005
  8. Sometimes :$

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Oct 15, 2005
  9. Okay thanks for the info (especially the ctrl-alt-del thing -- I'll try it).
    Sorry I havn't replied, since I was away.

    I want to give the original Admin account user settings (ie, desktop, IE
    fav's, et al)
    be copied so all user accounts can access and also update the settings. Is
    this possible?

    THANKS for your help!

    =?Utf-8?B?aGloaQ==?=, Oct 17, 2005