    The initial ordering has to be done manualy, but I need a pgm to help
    me renaming the files.

    TIA, Henning

    kielhd, Jun 7, 2004

  2. kielhd

    Paul Bartram Guest

    "kielhd" <> wrote

    > I need to rename a large amount of .jpg-files ... The initial ordering has

    to be done manualy, but I need a pgm to help me renaming the files.

    Plenty of commercial programmes will do this (ACDSee for example) but a
    great small freeware utility - written by a friend of mine in Sweden - is
    Revix, available at http://www.bahnhof.se/~smars/quivis/index.html This is
    best known for making automatic thumbnail indexes, but also has a renamer,
    visual sorter, personaliser etc. Very useful tool.

    Paul

    Paul Bartram, Jun 7, 2004

  3. kielhd

    JC Guest

    On 6 Jun 2004 23:13:33 -0700, (kielhd) wrote:

    > Hi NG,
    >
    > I need to rename a large amount of .jpg-files.
    > These files are needed as input for another program, which processes
    > the files according to their name: e.g.: file-1.jpg, file-2.jpg,
    > file-3.jpg, file-4.jpg, ...
    > The initial ordering has to be done manualy, but I need a pgm to help
    > me renaming the files.

    Why don't you use a batch file to do both processes in one step.

    c:
    cd picture/jpegs /or whatever directory the jpg files are stored in
    ren house.jpg file-1.jpg
    ren kids.jpg file-2.jpg
    etc etc

    Save it as text file called pics.bat.
    Click on Start and then Run and type in cmd and press ok.
    CD to the drive and directory that you saved the pics.bat file.
    type in pics.bat and press enter.

    Doing this will do the ordering and rename all of the files for you in one
    go. One caveat is that you need to make sure that there are no files in
    the directory already with a file name that you want to end up with - ie
    none called file-2.jpg.

    Cheers, John

    Use au instead of invalid for emails to me.

    JC, Jun 7, 2004
  4. kielhd

    bagal Guest

    if you have paint shop pro on your comoputer (or know someone who has it)
    then use it

    It does a dandy job on image editing too

    I've had mine just about 36 hours and it looks as if I may end up buying
    both adobe photoshop elements and paint shop pro tsk i am so indecisive

    das B

    bagal, Jun 7, 2004
  5. kielhd

    bagal, Jun 7, 2004
  6. kielhd

    bagal Guest

    Hi JC - just did it in PSP using File -> Batch -> Batch Rename

    I used custome text witha sequence in the Batch Rename to digital images
    stored in 5 directories covering about 500 images (I think - can't be assed
    lookinf to diucle check.

    In 2 words: easy-peasy

    Iwanted the sequence to run contiguously so all i had to do was to check the
    sequence numbers to make sure everything joined up correctly

    lovely feature!

    dB

    bagal, Jun 7, 2004
  7. kielhd

    Mikey S. Guest

    Along with all the other suggestions, irfanview can do this nicely, look
    under 'batch rename'. You can do some batch processing on the images at the
    same time if you wish too.

    http://www.irfanview.com and it's free too

    --

    Mikey S.
    http://www.mike721.com

    Mikey S., Jun 7, 2004
  8. kielhd

    Dave Cohen Guest

    I've used irfanview, renamemaster.exe http://jackass.arsware.org/rm.php
    works well and is freeware. Google show lots of rename programs. I looked at
    one but couldn't figure out how to use it!!! Sorry about the name of that
    link, probably a youthful type but his prgram does work.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Jun 7, 2004