Removing XP

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Newsgroups, Oct 1, 2008.

  1. Newsgroups

    Newsgroups Guest

    Hi
    I had Xp on my system and used it for some time, Wife bought me new
    PC, it's got everything including Vista Ultimate, I took it off and put Xp
    on, then I decided to put Vista on the second hard drive and give it a few
    weeks to see how it went, well I know what a lot of people say about Vista,
    but to be honest, I have got used to it and it's ok now, once I got rid of a
    few things like UAC etc, due to the PC specs it runs very well and I have
    decided to keep it, that's where my problem starts.

    I installed XP first then Vista, set up a dual boot, but now I want to
    remove Xp, is it possible to remove XP, and make the "D" (my second SATA
    drive) the "C" drive, what I am trying to do is keep vista without having to
    re-install and all the setting up that comes with it.

    Thanks

    Gordon
     
    Newsgroups, Oct 1, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Newsgroups

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 19:07:46 +0100, "Newsgroups" <>
    wrote:

    >I installed XP first then Vista, set up a dual boot, but now I want to
    >remove Xp, is it possible to remove XP, and make the "D" (my second SATA
    >drive) the "C" drive, what I am trying to do is keep vista without having to
    >re-install and all the setting up that comes with it.


    Yes, you CAN change the drive from D to C, but you'll run into
    problems. Anything installed on Drive D will cease to work because D
    is no longer D. So if you go to run a program, it looks at say
    D:\Program Files\Application, but it's now C:\Program files. So... in
    reality, no you can't (not easily).
    --
    To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious from my e-mail address.
     
    Evan Platt, Oct 1, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Newsgroups

    John Holmes Guest

    Evan Platt "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 19:07:46 +0100, "Newsgroups" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I installed XP first then Vista, set up a dual boot, but now I want to
    >>remove Xp, is it possible to remove XP, and make the "D" (my second
    >>SATA drive) the "C" drive, what I am trying to do is keep vista
    >>without having to re-install and all the setting up that comes with
    >>it.

    >
    > Yes, you CAN change the drive from D to C, but you'll run into
    > problems. Anything installed on Drive D will cease to work because D
    > is no longer D. So if you go to run a program, it looks at say
    > D:\Program Files\Application, but it's now C:\Program files. So... in
    > reality, no you can't (not easily).


    You are truly number one of the useless cunts residing on usenet. You
    know nothing about how windows works. What you're telling is /not/
    possible.

    --
    <snip>
     
    John Holmes, Oct 1, 2008
    #3
  4. Newsgroups wrote:

    > Hi
    > I had Xp on my system and used it for some time, Wife bought me new
    > PC, it's got everything including Vista Ultimate, I took it off and put Xp
    > on, then I decided to put Vista on the second hard drive and give it a few
    > weeks to see how it went, well I know what a lot of people say about
    > Vista, but to be honest, I have got used to it and it's ok now, once I got
    > rid of a few things like UAC etc, due to the PC specs it runs very well
    > and I have decided to keep it, that's where my problem starts.
    >
    > I installed XP first then Vista, set up a dual boot, but now I want to
    > remove Xp, is it possible to remove XP, and make the "D" (my second SATA
    > drive) the "C" drive, what I am trying to do is keep vista without having
    > to re-install and all the setting up that comes with it.
    >

    Since Vista does not use the bootfiles on the first partition, like XP, you
    may (even from inside Vistas drive management tool) reformat c: and use it
    for whatever else, but if you have already installed programs after the
    Vista install, they may have gone to that c: as well so you should make
    sure no program path in your Vista points to c: (run regedit and search).
    But afterwards, you still cannot rename d: to c: because Vistas internal
    programs and tools are embedded in the registry with "d:" path as well, and
    Vista will suffer badly :)
     
    wisdomkiller & pain, Oct 2, 2008
    #4
  5. Newsgroups

    Guest

    Bill <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> I would just format and reinstall Vista if you only want the 1 OS.


    > That's because your a fuckin' idiot.


    Least he's getting some.

    --

    Two vehicles heading in opposite directions collide in accident
    but never came in contact. They both hit a bull elk....cutting it in half/
    www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081006/NEWS/810060309
     
    , Oct 9, 2008
    #5
  6. Newsgroups

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 20:15:52 -0700, Bill
    <> wrote:

    > That's because your a fuckin' idiot.


    When calling someone an idiot, it makes sense to know the difference
    between your and you're.
    --
    To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious from my e-mail address.
     
    Evan Platt, Oct 9, 2008
    #6
  7. Newsgroups

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 20:15:52 -0700, Bill <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> I would just format and reinstall Vista if you only want the 1 OS.
    >>
    >>
    >> --
    >> mrplex

    >
    > That's because your a fuckin' idiot.


    Nah. He knows what he is talking about.

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og
     
    Barry OGrady, Oct 10, 2008
    #7
  8. Newsgroups

    Guest

    Barry OGrady <> wrote:

    >Barry
    >=====
    >Home page
    >http://members.iinet.net.auREMOVE/~barry.og


    The above link will install malware to the unknowing.
    Contact and complain


    "Last night, I got the popup, and clicking anywhere in the window
    caused another page to load with an animation pretending to run a
    scan, which of course found several infected files in the registry and
    c: drive (on a Linux box, no less!). Another popup followed, asking if
    I wanted to remove the "threats", but of course clicking anywhere
    simply initiated download of av2009.exe.

    All this was merely interesting to a guy like me using Opera on Linux,
    but I was able to show this behavior to my wife as illustration of how
    people get infected with this bug."

    Contact and complain

    --

    Fail
    http://www.motivatedphotos.com/?id=3283
     
    , Nov 23, 2008
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?Ymx1Y2hlbHNraTAx?=

    Removing a network

    =?Utf-8?B?Ymx1Y2hlbHNraTAx?=, Sep 12, 2004, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    489
    John Armenia
    Sep 12, 2004
  2. =?Utf-8?B?SmVzc2UxMzU3OQ==?=

    removing a machine from the domain

    =?Utf-8?B?SmVzc2UxMzU3OQ==?=, Feb 16, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    5,246
    Jim Seifert [MSFT]
    Feb 16, 2005
  3. =?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXM=?=

    Need Help Removing Wireless Networking Taskbar Icon

    =?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXM=?=, Feb 18, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    560
    =?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXM=?=
    Feb 18, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?VGxhbmU2?=

    Removing an unauthorized network

    =?Utf-8?B?VGxhbmU2?=, Aug 13, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    491
    =?Utf-8?B?VGxhbmU2?=
    Aug 15, 2005
  5. Piet  Slaghekke
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    1,141
    John Holmes
    Jan 2, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page