Removing Wireless Network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by PhiltheBear, Mar 14, 2008.

  1. PhiltheBear

    PhiltheBear Guest

    I'm trying to remove my wireless network and install a wired one. In the
    wireless version I connected to the internet via one PC and the other PCs
    connected to that one wirelessly.

    I've removed the original modem and tried to remove the wireless adapter
    from all PCs. However, on the PC that connected to the Internet everything
    seems to have gone pear shaped. (The others have all connected perfectly to
    the new ethernet router/modem system).

    In Device Manager (or looking under Network Connections) there appears to be
    a single instance of the Wireless Network Connection (labeled Wireless
    Network Connection 5). However, if under Network Connections I select Network
    Troubleshooter and perform a scan I can see 3 instances of "Instant Wireless
    USB Network Adapter ver 2.6". These "ghost" adapters are causing a problem
    because their default IP Gateway address is the same as the address on my
    router/modem and my PC can't connect to the new modem because of the
    conflicts.

    My question - how do I remove these entries? They aren't in Device Manager
    and they aren't seen under Network Connections, so the usual methods don't
    apply. It's got to be easy - I just don't know how!
    PhiltheBear, Mar 14, 2008