    Can I safely remove these items and any other that I may find involving Vista

    help and advice will be appreciated

    Chuck
    Chuck, Jan 10, 2010

  2. Chuck

    dgmacmi Guest

    "Chuck" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > My Dell Inspiron 530 came with Vista installed - a friend removed the
    > Vista
    > and installed Windows XP.
    >
    > Computer slow to closed - searched for Vista files and found:
    >
    > C:\dell\drivers\R158363
    > C:\dell\drivers\R158510
    > C:\dell\drivers\R159293\AAPS|PROSE.......
    > C:\dell\drivers\Ri59293\APPS?SETUP
    > R158363
    > R158510
    >
    > All above preceded by "Vista"
    >
    > Can I safely remove these items and any other that I may find involving
    > Vista
    >
    > help and advice will be appreciated
    >
    > Chuck

    I may be in error, but as far as I know the correct way to replace Vista
    with Windows XP, is to reformat and do a clean install of Windows XP and
    Windows XP drivers.

    The fact that the files you list exist indicates that your friend do not
    reformat before installing Windows XP.
    Removing the files listed will have not an effect on your system
    performance. C:\Dell\Drivers is the folder Dell uses for install files for
    driver updates. Once you install the driver update, system files are
    changed. The driver update installation files are stored in this folder for
    reference and in case you need to reinstall the update.

    Don
    dgmacmi, Jan 11, 2010

  3. The files you found below are the installation files and can be removed
    without affecting anything.

    Bobby Johnson, Jan 11, 2010
  4. Chuck

    DarkSpartan Guest

    Might want to leave those alone. If you ever need to go back to Vista for
    any reason, you're going to want them. Or if you want to go up to Win7. If
    you want the drive space back, make sure you take a copy for later.

    Drivers aren't a lot of fun to go hunting for if you don't need to. Better
    to have them than not.

    -Sarena

    DarkSpartan, Jan 12, 2010