    Norton allows download of the virus definition files, but they cannot be
    installed with an expired subscription. If I install a new AV package
    from CD, the defs are way out of date.
    mcp6453, May 8, 2004

  2. mcp6453

    Pepperoni Guest

    I'm wondering how the PC became infected without being able to go online.
    (??)

    Download Stinger to floppy, and maybe you will "get lucky" with removal.
    (getting lucky means having a virus that Stinger will remove)
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

    If you can deduce which virus is present, many cleaners are available for
    specific virii that are small enough to fit on floppy.

    Go order the free critical update CD set from Microsoft. This will allow
    you to update the patches (once the virus is cleaned) and avoid being
    reinfected while updating.
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp
    This CD set includes an antivirus and firewall program. (ALL FREE)

    Try setting the system clock back to a date which had antivirus protection.
    (worth a try)

    Pepperoni, May 8, 2004

  3. "Pepperoni" <> wrote in message news:...
    > I'm wondering how the PC became infected without being able to go online.
    > (??)

    Infected disk or file from a disk that has been used on a connected computer?
    Mr Cellophane, May 8, 2004
  4. mcp6453

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    "Pepperoni" <> wrote in message
    > I'm wondering how the PC became infected without being able to go online.
    > (??)
    >
    > Download Stinger to floppy, and maybe you will "get lucky" with removal.
    > (getting lucky means having a virus that Stinger will remove)
    > http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
    >
    > If you can deduce which virus is present, many cleaners are available for
    > specific virii that are small enough to fit on floppy.
    >
    > Go order the free critical update CD set from Microsoft. This will allow
    > you to update the patches (once the virus is cleaned) and avoid being
    > reinfected while updating.
    > http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp
    > This CD set includes an antivirus and firewall program. (ALL FREE)

    That is exactly what I do. Install the "free" antivirus (CA's E-trust)
    onto another machine, and download all updates. Following the instructions
    from the rescue.txt file in the CA folder, copy the relevant files onto a
    bootable CD along with the definition files. Boot the suspect computer
    using the CD, and run RESCUE. My so-called rescue CD also includes the
    files to install EZ antivirus and firewall, plus other utilities such as
    Spybot Search and Destroy, and various testing programs.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, May 8, 2004
  5. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    Oldus Fartus wrote:

    > "Pepperoni" <> wrote in message
    > > I'm wondering how the PC became infected without being able to go online.
    > > (??)
    > >
    > > Download Stinger to floppy, and maybe you will "get lucky" with removal.
    > > (getting lucky means having a virus that Stinger will remove)
    > > http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
    > >
    > > If you can deduce which virus is present, many cleaners are available for
    > > specific virii that are small enough to fit on floppy.
    > >
    > > Go order the free critical update CD set from Microsoft. This will allow
    > > you to update the patches (once the virus is cleaned) and avoid being
    > > reinfected while updating.
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp
    > > This CD set includes an antivirus and firewall program. (ALL FREE)
    > >

    > That is exactly what I do. Install the "free" antivirus (CA's E-trust)
    > onto another machine, and download all updates. Following the instructions
    > from the rescue.txt file in the CA folder, copy the relevant files onto a
    > bootable CD along with the definition files. Boot the suspect computer
    > using the CD, and run RESCUE. My so-called rescue CD also includes the
    > files to install EZ antivirus and firewall, plus other utilities such as
    > Spybot Search and Destroy, and various testing programs.

    Exactly which free one do you download? I use (any pay for) my-etrust.

    Thanks for the info. Sounds like where I need to be.
    mcp6453, May 8, 2004
  6. mcp6453

    Thor Guest

    "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    > Any time I work on a computer that has a virus as a result of an expired
    > antivirus subscription, I use http://housecall.trendmicro.com's online
    > scan to clean up. However, if the computer cannot access the Internet,
    > it's a lot harder to get rid of viruses. I have used a number of
    > methods, but I would like to know the easiest way to get rid of viruses
    > on a computer than cannot access the Internet.
    >
    > Norton allows download of the virus definition files, but they cannot be
    > installed with an expired subscription. If I install a new AV package
    > from CD, the defs are way out of date.

    I use a combination of approaches. For FAT or FAT32 drives, I just keep an
    updated copy of F-prot for DOS on bootable CD. You can clean the virus from
    DOS that way. If the system is NTFS, then I either boot into safe mode, and
    use one of the targeted removal tools from Symantec or Mcafee, or manually
    disable the virus (if possible) so the system can boot into windows
    normally, then do a full scan online with housecall. Basically, the key is
    being prepared by keeping the latest free removal tools archived on CD, and
    keeping an updated DOS-based antivirus scanner like F-Prot in your
    technician software collection, and, it helps to keep a notebook of
    printouts of the manual removal procedures, which are often given on
    antivirus software websites. I just take each situation and apply whatever
    is the most effective way to solve it. So far, in 8 years, I've never had to
    wipe a drive to get rid of a virus.
    Thor, May 8, 2004
  7. mcp6453

    Thor Guest

    > > That is exactly what I do. Install the "free" antivirus (CA's E-trust)
    > > onto another machine, and download all updates. Following the

    instructions
    > > from the rescue.txt file in the CA folder, copy the relevant files onto

    > > bootable CD along with the definition files. Boot the suspect computer
    > > using the CD, and run RESCUE. My so-called rescue CD also includes the
    > > files to install EZ antivirus and firewall, plus other utilities such as
    > > Spybot Search and Destroy, and various testing programs.

    > Exactly which free one do you download? I use (any pay for) my-etrust.
    >
    > Thanks for the info. Sounds like where I need to be.

    The free antivirus program is on the MS security CD. It's the free trial
    version of EZ Antivirus.
    Thor, May 8, 2004
  8. mcp6453

    Plato Guest

    mcp6453 wrote:

    > methods, but I would like to know the easiest way to get rid of viruses
    > on a computer than cannot access the Internet.

    You have to be prepared in advance. For example, I carry around an
    updated F-Prot on some floppies.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, May 8, 2004
  9. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > > > That is exactly what I do. Install the "free" antivirus (CA's E-trust)
    > > > onto another machine, and download all updates. Following the

    > instructions
    > > > from the rescue.txt file in the CA folder, copy the relevant files onto

    > > > bootable CD along with the definition files. Boot the suspect computer
    > > > using the CD, and run RESCUE. My so-called rescue CD also includes the
    > > > files to install EZ antivirus and firewall, plus other utilities such as
    > > > Spybot Search and Destroy, and various testing programs.

    > > Exactly which free one do you download? I use (any pay for) my-etrust.
    > >
    > > Thanks for the info. Sounds like where I need to be.

    > The free antivirus program is on the MS security CD. It's the free trial
    > version of EZ Antivirus.

    Is the version on CD different from the download version? I thought the
    DL version requires email activiation or some such. Maybe I'm wrong.
    mcp6453, May 9, 2004
  10. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > > > That is exactly what I do. Install the "free" antivirus (CA's E-trust)
    > > > onto another machine, and download all updates. Following the

    > instructions
    > > > from the rescue.txt file in the CA folder, copy the relevant files onto

    > > > bootable CD along with the definition files. Boot the suspect computer
    > > > using the CD, and run RESCUE. My so-called rescue CD also includes the
    > > > files to install EZ antivirus and firewall, plus other utilities such as
    > > > Spybot Search and Destroy, and various testing programs.

    > > Exactly which free one do you download? I use (any pay for) my-etrust.
    > >
    > > Thanks for the info. Sounds like where I need to be.

    > The free antivirus program is on the MS security CD. It's the free trial
    > version of EZ Antivirus.

    More particularly, where do you get the license key to install the disk
    version? The online version requires submitting registration data and
    receiving the license key by email. Sometimes when I am installing AV
    software on a client's computer, I do not have their email address
    and/or password, so I cannot use their information to register and get a
    key. How does activation/registration work on the CD version?

    I've ordered the CD, but it could take a while to get here.
    mcp6453, May 9, 2004
  11. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    Plato wrote:

    > mcp6453 wrote:
    > >
    > > methods, but I would like to know the easiest way to get rid of viruses
    > > on a computer than cannot access the Internet.

    > You have to be prepared in advance. For example, I carry around an
    > updated F-Prot on some floppies.

    Who makes F-Prot? I'm not familiar with it. Sounds like a good thing.
    mcp6453, May 9, 2004
  12. mcp6453

    Thor Guest

    "mcp6453" <> wrote in message

    E-trust)

    > > instructions

    onto

    computer

    the

    such as

    > > > Exactly which free one do you download? I use (any pay for) my-etrust.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks for the info. Sounds like where I need to be.

    > > The free antivirus program is on the MS security CD. It's the free trial
    > > version of EZ Antivirus.

    > Is the version on CD different from the download version? I thought the
    > DL version requires email activiation or some such. Maybe I'm wrong.

    Dunno, was just commenting on the thing from reading MS's little blurb about
    what is on the CD. I don't have one. Or need one for that matter. I keep all
    the MS updates archived on my own CDs.
    Thor, May 9, 2004
  13. mcp6453

    Thor Guest

    F-Prot is made by Frisk Software International. They have consistently made
    one of the best DOS-based antivirus programs out there for many, many years.
    http://www.f-prot.com/download/home_user/

    Thor, May 9, 2004
  14. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > > Is the version on CD different from the download version? I thought the
    > > DL version requires email activiation or some such. Maybe I'm wrong.

    > Dunno, was just commenting on the thing from reading MS's little blurb about
    > what is on the CD. I don't have one. Or need one for that matter. I keep all
    > the MS updates archived on my own CDs.

    Just found a friend who has the CD. He's going to email the AV program
    to me. I'll see if it is different. The online version requires
    registration to get a license key, which is a pain when you're working
    on a customer's computer and you don't have their email address or
    password to check for the license key.
    mcp6453, May 9, 2004
  15. mcp6453

    GTS Guest

    > More particularly, where do you get the license key to install the disk
    > version? The online version requires submitting registration data and
    > receiving the license key by email. Sometimes when I am installing AV
    > software on a client's computer, I do not have their email address
    > and/or password, so I cannot use their information to register and get a
    > key. How does activation/registration work on the CD version?
    >
    > I've ordered the CD, but it could take a while to get here.

    I've run into the same problem for customer installations of EZT. Here's a
    tip that might help. If you know the client's ETrust login and password you
    can log into the ETrust web site and go to the My Subscription page and get
    the license key there. I'm a big fan of ETrust AV - I think it's vastly
    superior to MacAfee and Norton, but do wish there were another way to
    purchase it. I have to ask clients to do the purchase and tell me their log
    in info or fwd the Email if possible, or if willing, to give me their credit
    card info. so I can do it for them. This costs CA some sales, as if it's
    too much trouble, I have to go to alternatives AV programs instead.

    GTS
    GTS, May 9, 2004
  16. mcp6453

    ProfGene Guest

    Without access to the internet and without an updated virus scanner it is
    difficult to do but you could get rid of some of the obvious ones by looking
    in Windows, Windows System and Windows System 32 for programs that match
    known viruses. Look for small DOS programs that have recent dates on them.
    Sometimes they are also planted in My Documents.

    ProfGene, May 15, 2004
  17. mcp6453

    Guest

    On Sat, 15 May 2004 15:08:04 -0500, "ProfGene" <>
    spewed forth:

    >Without access to the internet and without an updated virus scanner it is
    >difficult to do but you could get rid of some of the obvious ones by looking
    >in Windows, Windows System and Windows System 32 for programs that match
    >known viruses. Look for small DOS programs that have recent dates on them.
    >Sometimes they are also planted in My Documents.
    >"mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    >> Any time I work on a computer that has a virus as a result of an expired
    >> antivirus subscription, I use http://housecall.trendmicro.com's online
    >> scan to clean up. However, if the computer cannot access the Internet,
    >> it's a lot harder to get rid of viruses. I have used a number of
    >> methods, but I would like to know the easiest way to get rid of viruses
    >> on a computer than cannot access the Internet.
    >>
    >> Norton allows download of the virus definition files, but they cannot be
    >> installed with an expired subscription. If I install a new AV package
    >> from CD, the defs are way out of date.

    For customer's I use AVG antivirus, it's free and you could probably
    fit it on a floppy disk.
    You can also boot up in safe mode and pick funky looking startup items
    out of these two folders in the registry. You can find startup
    programs and delete them for any version of Windows this way.Just be
    sure you aren't deleting system items from these locations.

    Hint: a lot of viruses use a string command with a path like
    c:\windows\system32\"name".EXE without quotes, the name being
    different variants. This is almost always a virus or malware of some
    sort.

    Mark

    Otherwise known as
    Cablenetguy