  1. How can I stop the Windows XP pesky message "You have unused icons on your
    desktop ..." so it doesn't show again (without actually removing any icons!)

    Thanks.

    Graham Nichols, Apr 7, 2004

  2. Graham Nichols

    hushia Guest

    "Graham Nichols" <> wrote in
    message news:c51a6t$1i4$...
    > How can I stop the Windows XP pesky message "You have unused icons on your
    > desktop ..." so it doesn't show again (without actually removing any

    icons!)

    Go to the Display properties by right-clicking on your desktop > Properties.
    Then choose tab Desktop > Customize desktop > uncheck Run desktop cleanup
    wizard..

    hushia, Apr 7, 2004

  3. "hushia" <> wrote in message
    > "Graham Nichols" <> wrote in
    > message news:c51a6t$1i4$...
    > > How can I stop the Windows XP pesky message "You have unused icons on

    your
    > > desktop ..." so it doesn't show again (without actually removing any

    > icons!)
    >
    > Go to the Display properties by right-clicking on your desktop >

    Properties.
    > Then choose tab Desktop > Customize desktop > uncheck Run desktop cleanup
    > wizard..

    Many thanks!

    Graham Nichols, Apr 8, 2004
  4. Graham Nichols

    nacho

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2009
    Messages:
    2
    Lost Desktop Background

    I did the routine to get rid of the annoying pop up to remove unused desktop icons.
    I went to properties of the desktop and un-clicked the 60 day notification box and THEN my desktop background customized photo disappeared, replaced by a blue screen with my icons on it. AND it took out the entire folder of photos from which I chose the background. I have searched several ways and it is gone. I did a system restore (or tried to) and got the message that the restoration date could not be restored. I tried numerous dates to no avail. Even stranger, when I completed the restoration attempt, my original background was behind the notification window for system restore. When I got out of system restore window, my background was once again gone. No other problems on the computer.
    This was a once in a lifetime photo for my background. How do I get it back?

    nacho, Sep 23, 2009