    (assuming, of course that there is no other data on that partition that I
    need)?
    Or do I uninstall it using some option from the RC1 disc?
    DP, Feb 3, 2007

  2. DP

    John Barnes Guest

    Depends on how you installed and where the boot files are. If the Vista
    boot files are on your XP drive, you will need to install a program like
    VistaBootPro http://www.vistabootpro.org/ to restore the XP boot process.
    You can also use the XP install disk and do a fixboot in recovery console

    John Barnes, Feb 3, 2007

  3. DP

    DP Guest

    Thanks, John. I will try to sort that all out.
    But once I have the boot situation straight, do I simply clear out the Vista
    partition? Or is there some other way to remove RC1?

    As discussed earlier on this list, my plan is to buy the OEM version of
    Vista Ultimate 64 from New Egg for a price that would be cheaper than buying
    the upgrade version. That means I can legally boot into xp x64 as well as
    into Vista, so I will dual boot until I'm sure that Vista is everything I
    need.
    I hope no one see any problems with this plan.

    DP, Feb 3, 2007
  4. DP

    John Barnes Guest

    Sounds like a good plan. After you have the boot situation resolved, you
    can delete the partition with RC1 and either recreate it or wait and install
    OEM to the freespace and create the new partition then. I would do any
    formatting using OEM Vista as the NTFS format is a little different. It
    will allow you to do a quick format only.

    John Barnes, Feb 3, 2007
  5. DP

    John Barnes Guest

    Forgot to mention, that if the boot files are on the RC1 drive, you won't be
    able to delete or reformat. I personally like to have each OS bootable on
    its own, then as a final step set up multi-booting on whichever drive I
    decide I want as my permanent system drive.

    John Barnes, Feb 3, 2007
  6. What I'd suggest is simply leaving it there, for the moment, and then when
    you have Vista, do an install. But when you do the install, format the
    partition as part of the install. If the XP boot files are on that disk,
    you'll need to fix it up after, but that's pretty easy - see my blog on it.
    (And if you're really smart, unlike me, you'll make sure you've saved off
    copies of the nt* files somewhere safe ahead of time. )

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 3, 2007