Removing "PCTuneup" spyware?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by trs80, Aug 23, 2005.

  1. trs80

    trs80 Guest

    I have installed on my PC win2000 spyware called PCTuneup. It actually
    shows up in the Settings/Uninstall. But when using the uninstall function
    is sends me to a website with content shown below where it asked you to
    install more software to remove PCtuneup. Idont want to take the risk of
    installing more software from them to uninstall this.

    Is there a way to remove it from the PC?

    ABI Network a division of direct revenue

    The ABI Network contextual advertising software is installed on this
    machine because you have received software free of charge through an ABI
    distributor. To support your free software and to help keep the product
    free, please do not uninstall the ABI Network software. It is not
    "spyware," does not collect any personal information about you, and is not
    malicious. If you do choose to uninstall the ABI Network software, it can be
    safely and completely removed by going to www.mypctuneup.com to get the
    uninstall tool.

    EULA
    trs80, Aug 23, 2005

  2. trs80

    Martin Guest

    trs80 wrote:
    > I have installed on my PC win2000 spyware called PCTuneup. It actually
    > shows up in the Settings/Uninstall. But when using the uninstall function
    > is sends me to a website with content shown below where it asked you to
    > install more software to remove PCtuneup. Idont want to take the risk of
    > installing more software from them to uninstall this.
    >
    > Is there a way to remove it from the PC?

    > ABI Network a division of direct revenue
    >
    > The ABI Network contextual advertising software is installed on this
    > machine because you have received software free of charge through an ABI
    > distributor. To support your free software and to help keep the product
    > free, please do not uninstall the ABI Network software. It is not
    > "spyware," does not collect any personal information about you, and is not
    > malicious. If you do choose to uninstall the ABI Network software, it can be
    > safely and completely removed by going to www.mypctuneup.com to get the
    > uninstall tool.
    >
    > EULA

    Did you look at their web site and EULA?
    http://www.abetterinternet.com/policies.htm

    See their own words (section 5)

    "You understand and agree that ABI may flush the list of all trusted
    sites in your browser from time to time. Thereafter, you may need to
    re-designate as trusted sites certain web sites which you had previously
    designated as trusted sites. ABI believes this a benefit to you because
    it enhances the security of your computer and provides you with the
    ability to choose whether or not to install certain components on your
    computer.

    Some third parties may attempt to disrupt network communications to and
    from your computer to ABI's servers. This may include the manipulation
    of either your DNS configuration, or your computer's host file. If ABI
    believes that a third party is impeding your network communications, we
    reserve the right to correct the conflict in order to preserve proper
    communication.

    If you do not want ABI and/or the Software to take these security
    measures, you should not install the Software, or follow the procedures
    set forth below in Section 3 to remove the Software."

    Sounds like good advice to me! You shouldn't have installed it in the
    first place.

    Failing that, did you google on "ABI malware"?
    Martin, Aug 23, 2005

  3. trs80

    trs80 Guest

    i didnt understand anything you said......can you get your mommie to
    translate?

    trs80, Aug 23, 2005
  4. trs80

    Imhotep Guest

    trs80 wrote:

    > i didnt understand anything you said......can you get your mommie to
    > translate?
    > "Martin" <> wrote in message
    >> trs80 wrote:
    >>> I have installed on my PC win2000 spyware called PCTuneup. It actually
    >>> shows up in the Settings/Uninstall. But when using the uninstall
    >>> function is sends me to a website with content shown below where it
    >>> asked
    >>> you to install more software to remove PCtuneup. Idont want to take
    >>> the risk of installing more software from them to uninstall this.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a way to remove it from the PC?

    >>> ABI Network a division of direct revenue
    >>>
    >>> The ABI Network contextual advertising software is installed on this
    >>> machine because you have received software free of charge through an
    >>> ABI
    >>> distributor. To support your free software and to help keep the product
    >>> free, please do not uninstall the ABI Network software. It is not
    >>> "spyware," does not collect any personal information about you, and is
    >>> not malicious. If you do choose to uninstall the ABI Network software,
    >>> it can be safely and completely removed by going to www.mypctuneup.com
    >>> get the uninstall tool.
    >>>
    >>> EULA
    >>>

    >> Did you look at their web site and EULA?
    >> http://www.abetterinternet.com/policies.htm
    >>
    >> See their own words (section 5)
    >>
    >> "You understand and agree that ABI may flush the list of all trusted
    >> sites in your browser from time to time. Thereafter, you may need to
    >> re-designate as trusted sites certain web sites which you had previously
    >> designated as trusted sites. ABI believes this a benefit to you because
    >> it enhances the security of your computer and provides you with the
    >> ability to choose whether or not to install certain components on your
    >> computer.
    >>
    >> Some third parties may attempt to disrupt network communications to and
    >> from your computer to ABI's servers. This may include the manipulation of
    >> either your DNS configuration, or your computer's host file. If ABI
    >> believes that a third party is impeding your network communications, we
    >> reserve the right to correct the conflict in order to preserve proper
    >> communication.
    >>
    >> If you do not want ABI and/or the Software to take these security
    >> measures, you should not install the Software, or follow the procedures
    >> set forth below in Section 3 to remove the Software."
    >>
    >> Sounds like good advice to me! You shouldn't have installed it in the
    >> first place.
    >>
    >> Failing that, did you google on "ABI malware"?

    The guy is trying to help you out. Stop being a wiseass...

    Im
    Imhotep, Aug 23, 2005
  5. trs80

    Martin Guest

    trs80 wrote:
    > i didnt understand anything you said......can you get your mommie to
    > translate?

    What I posted was what you signed up for. I'll put it more simply for you.

    read http://www.abetterinternet.com/policies.htm

    Then read it again, then again until you DO understand it. You signed up
    to it, if it's too complex for you then you shouldn't have installed it.

    You gave ABI the rights to (not comprehensive)
    - **** around with your hosts file
    - **** around with your windows/browser security settings
    - install any damn software they please on your computer, from
    themselves and their business partners
    - redirect web requests onto their own sites
    - collect information about you and send it back to ABI
    - force your browser to open popups whether you want them or not (ABI
    would say you did because you signed up to their product)

    Simple enough for you?

    Now, learn to do a little research on what you have
    http://justfuckinggoogleit.com/

    Have a look at "If ABI believes that a third party is impeding your
    network communications, we reserve the right to correct the conflict in
    order to preserve proper communication." Does this mean they can turn
    off your firewalling? Disable anti-spyware s/w that is blocking sites or
    trying to unistall ABI? Bypass, or attempt to bypass, corporate security
    settings?

    You could try doing what Section 5 of their EULA says, and I'll quote it
    again for you, "If you do not want ABI and/or the Software to take these
    security measures, you should not install the Software, or follow the
    procedures set forth below in Section 3 to remove the Software."

    Try doing /exactly/ what it says in Section 5 of the EULA *after* doing
    your own research to see whether it will do what you want.

    Google
    Results 1 - 10 of about 9,290 for abi malware.
    Martin, Aug 23, 2005
  6. trs80

    trs80 Guest

    no speakie retardo......isnt there someone who can type for you?

    trs80, Aug 24, 2005
  7. On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 23:03:02 -0700, in alt.computer.security , "trs80"
    <> in <P4UOe.23780$Ep.3056@lakeread02> wrote:

    >no speakie retardo......isnt there someone who can type for you?

    Have fun with that spyware.

    <hint>
    When asking for favors from people it is a good idea to be nice to
    them.
    </hint>

    [snip]

    --
    Matt Silberstein

    Do in order to understand.
    Matt Silberstein, Aug 24, 2005
  8. trs80

    Notan Guest

    Matt Silberstein wrote:

    > On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 23:03:02 -0700, in alt.computer.security , "trs80"
    > <> in <P4UOe.23780$Ep.3056@lakeread02> wrote:
    >
    > >no speakie retardo......isnt there someone who can type for you?

    > Have fun with that spyware.
    >
    > <hint>
    > When asking for favors from people it is a good idea to be nice to
    > them.
    > </hint>
    >
    > [snip]

    The whole thing's rather humerous... The guy asks for help, gets it,
    although not in terms that he likes, and makes fun of the respondent.

    From what I understand, this particular piece of malware wreaks havoc,
    every time you turn on your machine... The longer it stays, the more
    destruction it causes.

    Good luck, trs.

    Notan
    Notan, Aug 24, 2005
  9. trs80

    Notan Guest

    Notan wrote:

    > Matt Silberstein wrote:
    > >
    > > On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 23:03:02 -0700, in alt.computer.security , "trs80"
    > > <> in <P4UOe.23780$Ep.3056@lakeread02> wrote:
    > >
    > > >no speakie retardo......isnt there someone who can type for you?

    > > Have fun with that spyware.
    > >
    > > <hint>
    > > When asking for favors from people it is a good idea to be nice to
    > > them.
    > > </hint>
    > >
    > > [snip]

    > The whole thing's rather humerous... The guy asks for help, gets it,
    > although not in terms that he likes, and makes fun of the respondent.
    >
    > From what I understand, this particular piece of malware wreaks havoc,
    > every time you turn on your machine... The longer it stays, the more
    > destruction it causes.
    >
    > Good luck, trs.

    Actually, my spelling's rather "humerous," too! As a medical person,
    I use "humerous" far more than "humorous." I guess I need some time
    off! <g>

    Notan
    Notan, Aug 24, 2005
  10. On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 08:43:42 -0600, in alt.computer.security , Notan
    <> in <> wrote:

    >Notan wrote:
    >>
    >> Matt Silberstein wrote:

    >> > Have fun with that spyware.
    >> >
    >> > <hint>
    >> > When asking for favors from people it is a good idea to be nice to
    >> > them.
    >> > </hint>
    >> >
    >> > [snip]

    >> The whole thing's rather humerous... The guy asks for help, gets it,
    >> although not in terms that he likes, and makes fun of the respondent.
    >>
    >> From what I understand, this particular piece of malware wreaks havoc,
    >> every time you turn on your machine... The longer it stays, the more
    >> destruction it causes.
    >>
    >> Good luck, trs.

    >Actually, my spelling's rather "humerous," too! As a medical person,
    >I use "humerous" far more than "humorous." I guess I need some time
    >off! <g>

    Break a, well, arm.

    --
    Matt Silberstein

    Do something today about the Darfur Genocide

    Genocide is news | Be A Witness
    http://www.beawitness.org

    "Darfur: A Genocide We can Stop"
    www.darfurgenocide.org

    Save Darfur.org :: Violence and Suffering in Sudan's Darfur Region
    http://www.savedarfur.org/
    Matt Silberstein, Aug 24, 2005
  11. trs80

    Martin Guest

    Notan wrote:
    > Matt Silberstein wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 23:03:02 -0700, in alt.computer.security , "trs80"
    >><> in <P4UOe.23780$Ep.3056@lakeread02> wrote:
    >>

    >>>no speakie retardo......isnt there someone who can type for you?

    >>Have fun with that spyware.
    >>
    >><hint>
    >>When asking for favors from people it is a good idea to be nice to
    >>them.
    >></hint>
    >>
    >>[snip]

    > The whole thing's rather humerous... The guy asks for help, gets it,
    > although not in terms that he likes, and makes fun of the respondent.

    Water off a ducks back. If he was paying for the advice I'd just double
    the fees lol

    > From what I understand, this particular piece of malware wreaks havoc,
    > every time you turn on your machine... The longer it stays, the more
    > destruction it causes.

    You think this one is bad? One of my clients managed to get 180 Search
    Assistant and other crap loaded on a few machines. After trying to get
    rid of it off one I just blew them all out and gave clean installs.

    I also set up a very substantial hosts file and stopped them using IE
    unless logged in as administrator. It didn't happen again and the cost
    of the whole exercise made sure it was sufficient for them to remember
    in future.
    Martin, Aug 24, 2005
  12. trs80

    trs80 Guest

    maybe you got your fingers over too far on the keyboard A lot of gibberish
    retardo speak.....can you get your mommie to translate?

    trs80, Aug 27, 2005
  13. trs80

    Imhotep Guest

    trs80 wrote:

    > maybe you got your fingers over too far on the keyboard A lot of
    > gibberish retardo speak.....can you get your mommie to translate?
    > "Martin" <> wrote in message
    >> Notan wrote:

    >>> The whole thing's rather humerous... The guy asks for help, gets it,
    >>> although not in terms that he likes, and makes fun of the respondent.

    >> Water off a ducks back. If he was paying for the advice I'd just double
    >> the fees lol
    >>
    >>> From what I understand, this particular piece of malware wreaks havoc,
    >>> every time you turn on your machine... The longer it stays, the more
    >>> destruction it causes.

    >> You think this one is bad? One of my clients managed to get 180 Search
    >> Assistant and other crap loaded on a few machines. After trying to get
    >> rid of it off one I just blew them all out and gave clean installs.
    >>
    >> I also set up a very substantial hosts file and stopped them using IE
    >> unless logged in as administrator. It didn't happen again and the cost of
    >> the whole exercise made sure it was sufficient for them to remember in
    >> future.

    Now, now this kind of talk should be reserve for Jim Watt...
    Imhotep, Aug 29, 2005
  14. trs80

    Martin Guest

    Imhotep wrote:

    > Now, now this kind of talk should be reserve for Jim Watt...

    I refer you to to Arkell vs Pressdram
    Martin, Aug 30, 2005