    It implies that the installations are interdependent. Can I safely
    remove the old ones or will doing so mess up the current one as well?

    Tony
    Tony Raven, Feb 20, 2005

  2. What I'd do is save all your files/settings and reinstall 1.0. It's the
    best way.
    Although, when I installed moz 1.8a6 over1.6.5 it went over completely.
    I would
    just remove earlier versions from your list.

    Poly-poly man
    Poly-poly man, Feb 20, 2005

  3. Tony Raven wrote:
    > In the Add and Remove programs part of Windows I have all the versions
    > of Firefox and Tbird listed that I have installed over time. I thought
    > I'd clean all but the current ones out but when I try to remove an older
    > version it tells me the programme (the current v1.0 version) is running.
    > It implies that the installations are interdependent. Can I safely
    > remove the old ones or will doing so mess up the current one as well?
    >
    > Tony

    This is most likely because you have been installing new versions on top
    of old ones, rather the recommended way of uninstalling the old version
    from Add/Remove, then installing the new. The Add/Remove listing for
    old versions are orphans. What usually happens if you uninstall one of
    the old ones, is that you actually uninstall the only one that really
    exists, the current one.

    AS long as you have a copy of the installer around, you then just
    reinstall the current version. The uninstall will not touch your
    profile at all, so your data is safe.

    IF you happen to have Spybot Search and Destroy installed on your
    machine, one of the tools in the Advanced mode is a Startup tool, which
    should be able to remove the orphaned listings. If you don't theres a
    free app called RegCleaner that will do it.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Feb 20, 2005
  4. Tony Raven

    Adelin Guest

    Leonidas Jones <> wrote in

    > Tony Raven wrote:
    >> In the Add and Remove programs part of Windows I have all the
    >> versions of Firefox and Tbird listed that I have installed over time.
    >> I thought I'd clean all but the current ones out but when I try to
    >> remove an older version it tells me the programme (the current v1.0
    >> version) is running.
    >> It implies that the installations are interdependent. Can I safely
    >> remove the old ones or will doing so mess up the current one as well?
    >>
    >> Tony

    > This is most likely because you have been installing new versions on
    > top of old ones, rather the recommended way of uninstalling the old
    > version from Add/Remove, then installing the new. The Add/Remove
    > listing for old versions are orphans. What usually happens if you
    > uninstall one of the old ones, is that you actually uninstall the only
    > one that really exists, the current one.
    >
    > AS long as you have a copy of the installer around, you then just
    > reinstall the current version. The uninstall will not touch your
    > profile at all, so your data is safe.
    >
    > IF you happen to have Spybot Search and Destroy installed on your
    > machine, one of the tools in the Advanced mode is a Startup tool,
    > which should be able to remove the orphaned listings. If you don't
    > theres a free app called RegCleaner that will do it.
    >
    > Lee

    Is the same "procedure" also valid for Mozilla ??
    --
    Greeting. Adelin
    Adelin, Feb 20, 2005
  5. Tony Raven

    ..brian.. Guest

    Which "procedure" are you inquiring about? Are you talking about the
    recommended installation method, or fixing all the extra entries in
    Add/Remove Programs? You should always remove the old version of
    FF/TB/Moz before installing the newer one.
    --
    Brian
    ..brian.., Feb 20, 2005
  6. Adelin wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones <> wrote in
    >

    >>Tony Raven wrote:
    >>
    >>>In the Add and Remove programs part of Windows I have all the
    >>>versions of Firefox and Tbird listed that I have installed over time.
    >>> I thought I'd clean all but the current ones out but when I try to
    >>>remove an older version it tells me the programme (the current v1.0
    >>>version) is running.
    >>> It implies that the installations are interdependent. Can I safely
    >>>remove the old ones or will doing so mess up the current one as well?
    >>>
    >>>Tony

    >>This is most likely because you have been installing new versions on
    >>top of old ones, rather the recommended way of uninstalling the old
    >>version from Add/Remove, then installing the new. The Add/Remove
    >>listing for old versions are orphans. What usually happens if you
    >>uninstall one of the old ones, is that you actually uninstall the only
    >>one that really exists, the current one.
    >>
    >>AS long as you have a copy of the installer around, you then just
    >>reinstall the current version. The uninstall will not touch your
    >>profile at all, so your data is safe.
    >>
    >>IF you happen to have Spybot Search and Destroy installed on your
    >>machine, one of the tools in the Advanced mode is a Startup tool,
    >>which should be able to remove the orphaned listings. If you don't
    >>theres a free app called RegCleaner that will do it.
    >>
    >>Lee
    >>

    > Is the same "procedure" also valid for Mozilla ??

    The Mozilla suite installer, at least from about 1.5 up, has had an
    uninstaller built into it. Just allow the uninstaller to remove the
    mozilla.org folder as itt runs,, and there is no real need to uninstall
    Mozilla first.

    Its the FIrefox and Thunderbird installers where you need to uninstall
    first.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Feb 20, 2005
  7. Tony Raven

    Delete Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > The Mozilla suite installer, at least from about 1.5 up, has had an
    > uninstaller built into it. Just allow the uninstaller to remove the
    > mozilla.org folder as itt runs,, and there is no real need to uninstall
    > Mozilla first.
    >
    > Its the FIrefox and Thunderbird installers where you need to uninstall
    > first.

    Hi Lee

    I presently have FF and TB and was going to try to update? to Mozilla
    so I would have just one program instead of two. So are you saying I
    should delete both programs then install Mozilla? If so will it pick up
    all the information ie: favorites, bookmarks e-mail and all that stuff
    without any special techniques? Or would I be better off staying with
    FF and TB? I don't want to lose files still in the individual programs.

    Lee
    Delete, Feb 20, 2005
  8. Tony Raven

    ..brian.. Guest

    Only you can decide which program is the best option for you. All
    three programs can be installed at the same time.

    Thanks Lee, I'm not a Mozilla user, and forgot about that ;-)
    --
    Brian
    ..brian.., Feb 20, 2005
  9. Delete wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >> The Mozilla suite installer, at least from about 1.5 up, has had an
    >> uninstaller built into it. Just allow the uninstaller to remove the
    >> mozilla.org folder as itt runs,, and there is no real need to
    >> uninstall Mozilla first.
    >>
    >> Its the FIrefox and Thunderbird installers where you need to uninstall
    >> first.

    > Hi Lee
    >
    > I presently have FF and TB and was going to try to update? to
    > Mozilla so I would have just one program instead of two. So are you
    > saying I should delete both programs then install Mozilla? If so will
    > it pick up all the information ie: favorites, bookmarks e-mail and all
    > that stuff without any special techniques? Or would I be better off
    > staying with FF and TB? I don't want to lose files still in the
    > individual programs.
    >
    > Lee

    Brian is absolutely tight, FF, TB and the Moz suite are separate
    programs, and will keep their profile information in separate locations.
    There is no need to remove FF and TB in order to install Moz. I have
    all three, NS7.2, and NS8 pre beta all happily coexisting on the same
    machine.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Feb 21, 2005
  10. Tony Raven

    ..brian.. Guest

    LOL. I make plenty of spelling mistakes, but yours... well... ;-)
    ..brian.., Feb 21, 2005
  11. ...brian.. wrote:
    > LOL. I make plenty of spelling mistakes, but yours... well... ;-)

    I assume you mean:

    "Brian is absolutely tight"

    Notice how the "t" is right next to the "r" on the keyboard.

    Also, the speelchucker ;) will be perfectly happy with "tight" its
    spelled exactly right! Or is that "tight"!

    I'm a performing musician, a double bassist. The finger tips of my left
    hand have such large callouses, that I can't feel the keys. Note the
    both the "t" and the "r" are on the left side of the keyboard!

    If this doesn't do, I'll find a whole new range of excuses!! :)

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Feb 21, 2005
  12. Tony Raven

    ..brian.. Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > ..brian.. wrote:
    > > LOL. I make plenty of spelling mistakes, but yours... well... ;-)
    > >

    > I assume you mean:
    >
    > "Brian is absolutely tight"
    >
    > Notice how the "t" is right next to the "r" on the keyboard.
    >
    > Also, the speelchucker ;) will be perfectly happy with "tight" its
    > spelled exactly right! Or is that "tight"!
    >
    > I'm a performing musician, a double bassist. The finger tips of my

    left
    > hand have such large callouses, that I can't feel the keys. Note the

    > both the "t" and the "r" are on the left side of the keyboard!
    >
    > If this doesn't do, I'll find a whole new range of excuses!! :)
    >
    > Lee

    I guess including the original message might have helped determine what
    I was talking about you referring to me as "tight" ;-) I've been away
    from my house for several months, and just started using Google Groups
    to view and respond to messages. And I just now realized it hasn't
    been quoting the original message! Damn.

    At least you have an excuse...
    --
    Brian
    ..brian.., Feb 21, 2005