Removing old module config / Catalyst 6509

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by thefunnel@aol.com, Jan 11, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hi,

    We have recently added and the removed a 16 port GBIC blade into a
    Catalyst 6509.

    Even though the card is no longer present in the system the interfaces
    are still visible in the config. I presume this is in case the card is
    ever returned to the system.

    My question is how can I remove this unnecessary config? The card is no
    longer displayed under "show module" but is still there under "show
    run"...

    !
    interface GigabitEthernet3/1
    no ip address
    shutdown
    !
    interface GigabitEthernet3/2
    no ip address
    shutdown
    !
    interface GigabitEthernet3/3
    no ip address
    shutdown
    , Jan 11, 2007

  2. wrote:

    > My question is how can I remove this unnecessary config? The card is no
    > longer displayed under "show module" but is still there under "show
    > run"...
    >
    > !
    > interface GigabitEthernet3/1
    > no ip address
    > shutdown
    > !
    > interface GigabitEthernet3/2
    > no ip address
    > shutdown
    > !
    > interface GigabitEthernet3/3
    > no ip address
    > shutdown

    (config)# no interface range Gi3/1 Gi3/16 ?

    Regards

    fw
    Frank Winkler, Jan 11, 2007

  3. brink Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > We have recently added and the removed a 16 port GBIC blade into a
    > Catalyst 6509.

    AFAIK the only way to get rid of that config now (in native IOS) is
    inserting another module in that slot or a reload. For now I suggest
    you just do a "default interface gi <slot nr>/1 - 16"
    and a shutdown on same to avoid surprises if someone ever inserts a
    similar module in the same slot.

    There is a (almost undocumented) global command "module clear-config"
    which should be issued BEFORE removing the module. Using this command
    should cause most (but not all) traces of a module to disappear when
    you remove a module. I've never really used this command, a bit
    dangerous if you just want to replace a module and forgot this command
    was in the configuration.

    In CatOS there is a "clear config <module #>" command if you're running
    CatOS only. If you're running hybrid that doesn't remove them from the
    IOS config.

    luck,

    Frans
    brink, Jan 12, 2007