    Will I lose all oe6 settings?

    Thanks.

    Steve

    Steve IA, Feb 10, 2007

  2. Steve IA

    meerkat Guest

    "Steve IA" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > To try to resolve a conflict with oe6 and my AV program, I'm considering
    > removing and reinstalling oe6 from my Dell Win XP home sp2 machine, using
    > the "add/remove windows components" function. I've created a restore point
    > that I hopefully won't need.
    > If I do this will I lose all old emails in folders?
    > Will I lose all oe6 settings?

    Read this first.

    But you should say what the problem is, `cos I`m
    sure someone could help you resolve your AV
    problem.

    meerkat, Feb 10, 2007

  3. Steve IA

    Bryan Guest

    "Steve IA" <> wrote in message
    > To try to resolve a conflict with oe6 and my AV program, I'm considering
    > removing and reinstalling oe6 from my Dell Win XP home sp2 machine, using
    > the "add/remove windows components" function. I've created a restore point
    > that I hopefully won't need.
    > If I do this will I lose all old emails in folders?
    > Will I lose all oe6 settings?

    you will lose these things unless you back them up. What AV are you using? I
    use AVG free and it works fine with OE6. Why noy repair your OE 6
    installation and ditch your AV to replace with AVG or Avast or something
    like that?

    AFAIR it is a real pain to try and reload backed up emails, news and mail
    account settings are easy to reload from backups. I don't know of an easy
    way to reload newsgroups other than one at a time.

    Bryan, Feb 10, 2007
  4. Steve IA

    Steve IA Guest

    meerkat wrote:

    > "Steve IA" <> wrote in message
    > > To try to resolve a conflict with oe6 and my AV program, I'm considering
    > > removing and reinstalling oe6 from my Dell Win XP home sp2 machine, using
    > > the "add/remove windows components" function. I've created a restore point
    > > that I hopefully won't need.
    > > If I do this will I lose all old emails in folders?
    > > Will I lose all oe6 settings?
    > >

    > Read this first.
    > http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum9/7633.htm
    >
    > But you should say what the problem is, `cos I`m
    > sure someone could help you resolve your AV
    > problem.

    I've had this problem for over a year. I've ask their tech support, but no
    help from them. I've done some searching and only come up with one instance
    of a problem similar to mine and there didn't seem to be a resolution 6
    years ago and have found no relevant newer posts.
    I will try to be as detailed as possible and will quote from the earlier
    post I found as he explains it very well.
    CA Anti-virus 8.3.0.2 (I just updated this yesterday hoping it would solve
    the problem, but no joy)
    OE6, IE 7 , although it did the same thing before IE 7.
    WinXP home SP2.
    here's the earlier post for reference
    http://groups.google.com/group/micr...t&q=remove oe6&rnum=14&hl=en#d4bf0f72138ce929
    or
    http://tinyurl.com/26ruzl

    "... version 6, I find that it takes
    around 75 seconds to do any of the four functions, i.e. OE6 itself opens
    quickly, but not the sub-routines. BUT NOTE: this happens only the first
    time I do it after the computer has been turned on.

    In other words, there is no delay if I have done any one of the four
    operations at least once during any time the computer is on (i.e., open an
    existing message, open the Preview pane, open the "Write
    Message" window, or a "Reply to" window). As long as I
    don't shut down, I can close and open OE and will still
    have the working windows (any of the four) open in a
    second or two. But, if I close the program and shut
    down the computer, the next time I open OE6 and try
    any one of the four functions, I have to wait the 75 seconds."

    If I turn off the real time checking by the AV, or 'snooze' the AV when
    trying any of the functions OE6 acts normally with only a slight pause
    before opening and email. This is why I believe it is a conflict between the
    two.

    Thanks for all advice.

    Steve

    Steve IA, Feb 10, 2007
  5. Steve IA

    meerkat Guest

    "Steve IA" <> wrote in message
    > meerkat wrote:
    >>
    >> "Steve IA" <> wrote in message
    >> > To try to resolve a conflict with oe6 and my AV program,

    > I've had this problem for over a year.

    > http://groups.google.com/group/micr...t&q=remove oe6&rnum=14&hl=en#d4bf0f72138ce929
    > or
    > http://tinyurl.com/26ruzl

    In that post you mention Norton AV running (?)/

    So you`ve got Norton checking on CA,
    and CA checking on Norton, among other things.

    You will find that a lot of people dislike Norton,
    including me.

    It`s a machine hog, and probably conflicts with CA,
    which, according to what I`ve just read, is pretty
    lively.

    meerkat, Feb 10, 2007
  6. Steve IA

    Steve IA Guest

    meerkat wrote:

    > "Steve IA" <> wrote in message
    > > meerkat wrote:
    > >>
    > >> "Steve IA" <> wrote in message

    > > I've had this problem for over a year.

    > > http://groups.google.com/group/micr...t&q=remove oe6&rnum=14&hl=en#d4bf0f72138ce929
    > > or
    > > http://tinyurl.com/26ruzl
    > >

    > In that post you mention Norton AV running (?)/
    >
    > So you`ve got Norton checking on CA,
    > and CA checking on Norton, among other things.
    >
    > You will find that a lot of people dislike Norton,
    > including me.
    >
    > It`s a machine hog, and probably conflicts with CA,
    > which, according to what I`ve just read, is pretty
    > lively.

    Sorry for the confusion, That was not my post just one I found that
    described my situation well.
    Norton is not a factor. Not involved at all on this machine.

    I will add this:
    When OE is hanging, I can open the task manager and it says apps running
    "outlook express - not responding"

    Steve IA, Feb 10, 2007
  7. Steve IA

    Vanguard Guest

    CA uses (or used to use) an LSP (layered service provider) for e-mail
    scanning; see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Layered_Service_Provider. If
    you disable their e-mail scanning (which, at one time, required a
    reboot), the LSP was removed and problems with e-mail clients would go
    away. Other AV products use transparent proxies to intercept e-mail
    traffic but if their proxy goes haywire you have problems with them, too
    (and disabling the LSP or proxy doesn't solve the problem because that
    just disables them interrogating the traffic and doesn't eliminate them
    from being in the path for the traffic). Have you tried disabling the
    e-mail scanning function of CA's anti-virus product?

    Also, CA's product used to have the nasty habit of becoming disabled and
    you couldn't get it enabled. CA couldn't figure out any other solution
    than uninstalling and reinstalling their product. Well, if their
    solution to reenabling their product was to reinstall it then maybe you
    have to reinstall it to solve your problem, too.

    Vanguard, Feb 10, 2007
  8. Steve IA

    Steve IA Guest

    Vanguard wrote:

    > CA uses (or used to use) an LSP (layered service provider) for e-mail
    > scanning; see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Layered_Service_Provider. If
    > you disable their e-mail scanning (which, at one time, required a
    > reboot), the LSP was removed and problems with e-mail clients would go
    > away. Other AV products use transparent proxies to intercept e-mail
    > traffic but if their proxy goes haywire you have problems with them, too
    > (and disabling the LSP or proxy doesn't solve the problem because that
    > just disables them interrogating the traffic and doesn't eliminate them
    > from being in the path for the traffic). Have you tried disabling the
    > e-mail scanning function of CA's anti-virus product?

    Yes, that is the first thing I tried. I makes no difference.

    > Also, CA's product used to have the nasty habit of becoming disabled and
    > you couldn't get it enabled. CA couldn't figure out any other solution
    > than uninstalling and reinstalling their product. Well, if their
    > solution to reenabling their product was to reinstall it then maybe you
    > have to reinstall it to solve your problem, too.

    That was their idea a few months ago. I waited until it was time to renew
    then installed the new version which didn't change anything.

    thanks

    Steve

    Steve IA, Feb 10, 2007
  9. Steve IA

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 10:57:47 -0600, Steve IA wrote:

    >meerkat wrote:
    >>
    >> "Steve IA" <> wrote in message
    >> > To try to resolve a conflict with oe6 and my AV program, I'm considering
    >> > removing and reinstalling oe6 from my Dell Win XP home sp2 machine, using
    >> > the "add/remove windows components" function. I've created a restore point
    >> > that I hopefully won't need.
    >> > If I do this will I lose all old emails in folders?
    >> > Will I lose all oe6 settings?
    >> >

    >> Read this first.
    >> http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum9/7633.htm
    >>
    >> But you should say what the problem is, `cos I`m
    >> sure someone could help you resolve your AV
    >> problem.

    >I've had this problem for over a year. I've ask their tech support, but no
    >help from them. I've done some searching and only come up with one instance
    >of a problem similar to mine and there didn't seem to be a resolution 6
    >years ago and have found no relevant newer posts.
    >I will try to be as detailed as possible and will quote from the earlier
    >post I found as he explains it very well.
    >CA Anti-virus 8.3.0.2 (I just updated this yesterday hoping it would solve
    >the problem, but no joy)

    Was using CA upuntil was it v7.06, It would fail to start after a boot.
    Never resolved, ditched CA. What's worse it was only a month after
    paying for a renew. I was glad to get rid of it.

    If you fully remove CA , not just uninstall what happens?

    >OE6, IE 7 , although it did the same thing before IE 7.
    >WinXP home SP2.
    >here's the earlier post for reference
    >http://groups.google.com/group/micr...t&q=remove oe6&rnum=14&hl=en#d4bf0f72138ce929
    >or
    >http://tinyurl.com/26ruzl

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Feb 10, 2007
  10. Steve IA

    Steve IA Guest

    why? wrote:

    > On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 10:57:47 -0600, Steve IA wrote:
    >
    > >meerkat wrote:
    > >>
    > >> "Steve IA" <> wrote in message
    > >> >
    > >> Read this first.
    > >> http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum9/7633.htm
    > >>
    > >> But you should say what the problem is, `cos I`m
    > >> sure someone could help you resolve your AV
    > >> problem.

    > >I've had this problem for over a year. I've ask their tech support, but no
    > >help from them. I've done some searching and only come up with one instance
    > >of a problem similar to mine and there didn't seem to be a resolution 6
    > >years ago and have found no relevant newer posts.
    > >I will try to be as detailed as possible and will quote from the earlier
    > >post I found as he explains it very well.
    > >CA Anti-virus 8.3.0.2 (I just updated this yesterday hoping it would solve
    > >the problem, but no joy)

    > Was using CA upuntil was it v7.06, It would fail to start after a boot.
    > Never resolved, ditched CA. What's worse it was only a month after
    > paying for a renew. I was glad to get rid of it.
    >
    > If you fully remove CA , not just uninstall what happens?
    >
    > >OE6, IE 7 , although it did the same thing before IE 7.
    > >WinXP home SP2.
    > >here's the earlier post for reference
    > >http://groups.google.com/group/micr...t&q=remove oe6&rnum=14&hl=en#d4bf0f72138ce929
    > >or
    > >http://tinyurl.com/26ruzl
    > >

    > <snip>
    >
    > Me

    Haven't tried it with CA removed. All I have to do is disable it to
    make(let) OE work right, so expect removal would be the same. Someone else
    suggested AVG instead of CA. May look into it, but hate to waste th $$.
    Thanks
    Steve

    Steve IA, Feb 10, 2007
  11. Steve IA

    meerkat Guest

    "Steve IA" <> wrote in message
    > why? wrote:

    >> >I've had this problem for over a year. I've ask their tech support,
    >> >but no
    >> >help from them. I've done some searching and only come up with one
    >> >instance
    >> >of a problem similar to mine and there didn't seem to be a resolution 6
    >> >years ago and have found no relevant newer posts.
    >> >I will try to be as detailed as possible and will quote from the earlier
    >> >post I found as he explains it very well.
    >> >CA Anti-virus 8.3.0.2 (I just updated this yesterday hoping it would
    >> >solve
    >> >the problem, but no joy)

    >> Was using CA upuntil was it v7.06, It would fail to start after a boot.
    >> Never resolved, ditched CA. What's worse it was only a month after
    >> paying for a renew. I was glad to get rid of it.
    >>
    >> If you fully remove CA , not just uninstall what happens?
    >>
    >> >OE6, IE 7 , although it did the same thing before IE 7.
    >> >WinXP home SP2.
    >> >here's the earlier post for reference
    >> >http://groups.google.com/group/micr...t&q=remove oe6&rnum=14&hl=en#d4bf0f72138ce929
    >> >or
    >> >http://tinyurl.com/26ruzl
    >> >

    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> Me

    > Haven't tried it with CA removed. All I have to do is disable it to
    > make(let) OE work right, so expect removal would be the same. Someone
    > else
    > suggested AVG instead of CA. May look into it, but hate to waste th $$.

    There`s a Free version of AVG (v 7.5.441)
    http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/

    Half way down the page.
    D\load and update it, then do a full scan.

    I`ve been using AVG free for a couple of years,
    and am quite happy with it.

    meerkat, Feb 10, 2007
  12. Steve IA

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 13:21:36 -0600, Steve IA wrote:

    >why? wrote:

    >> >I've had this problem for over a year. I've ask their tech support, but no

    <snip>

    >> >CA Anti-virus 8.3.0.2 (I just updated this yesterday hoping it would solve
    >> >the problem, but no joy)

    >> Was using CA upuntil was it v7.06, It would fail to start after a boot.
    >> Never resolved, ditched CA. What's worse it was only a month after
    >> paying for a renew. I was glad to get rid of it.
    >>
    >> If you fully remove CA , not just uninstall what happens?
    >>
    >> >OE6, IE 7 , although it did the same thing before IE 7.
    >> >WinXP home SP2.

    <snip>

    >Haven't tried it with CA removed. All I have to do is disable it to
    >make(let) OE work right, so expect removal would be the same. Someone else

    Ah fine then.

    >suggested AVG instead of CA. May look into it, but hate to waste th $$.

    Would go with that method then. That's what I thought, about the money
    but something that worked was more important.

    >Thanks
    >Steve

    Me

    why?, Feb 10, 2007
  13. Steve IA

    Daave Guest

    Steve IA wrote:

    > Haven't tried it with CA removed. All I have to do is disable it to
    > make(let) OE work right, so expect removal would be the same.
    > Someone else suggested AVG instead of CA. May look into it,
    > but hate to waste th $$.

    Looks like that ship has already sailed. ;-)

    Daave, Feb 11, 2007
  14. Steve IA

    Vanguard Guest

    "Steve IA" wrote in message news:...
    >> If their solution to reenabling their product was to reinstall it
    >> then maybe you have to reinstall it to solve your problem, too.

    > That was their idea a few months ago. I waited until it was time to
    > renew
    > then installed the new version which didn't change anything.

    When you went to the new version, did you actually UNINSTALL the prior
    version *before* installing the new version (along with the requisite
    file & registry cleanup)?

    Vanguard, Feb 13, 2007
  15. Steve IA

    Steve IA Guest

    Re: Removing oe6- Resolved

    Bryan wrote:

    > "Steve IA" <> wrote in message
    > > To try to resolve a conflict with oe6 and my AV program, I'm considering
    > > removing and reinstalling oe6 from my Dell Win XP home sp2 machine, using
    > > the "add/remove windows components" function. I've created a restore point
    > > that I hopefully won't need.
    > > If I do this will I lose all old emails in folders?
    > > Will I lose all oe6 settings?
    > >

    > you will lose these things unless you back them up. What AV are you using? I
    > use AVG free and it works fine with OE6. Why noy repair your OE 6
    > installation and ditch your AV to replace with AVG or Avast or something
    > like that?
    >
    > AFAIR it is a real pain to try and reload backed up emails, news and mail
    > account settings are easy to reload from backups. I don't know of an easy
    > way to reload newsgroups other than one at a time.

    As you suggested. I ditched CA and went to AVG. Which works fine. I had
    to go to "live chat" to get my refund and wait for 30 minutes, but as CA
    said, No questions ask.
    Thanks to all for your help.

    Steve IA, Feb 13, 2007
  16. Steve IA

    Bryan Guest

    Re: Removing oe6- Resolved

    "Steve IA" <> wrote in message
    > Bryan wrote:
    >>
    >> "Steve IA" <> wrote in message
    >> > To try to resolve a conflict with oe6 and my AV program, I'm
    >> > considering
    >> > removing and reinstalling oe6 from my Dell Win XP home sp2 machine,
    >> > using
    >> > the "add/remove windows components" function. I've created a restore
    >> > point
    >> > that I hopefully won't need.
    >> > If I do this will I lose all old emails in folders?
    >> > Will I lose all oe6 settings?
    >> >

    >> you will lose these things unless you back them up. What AV are you
    >> using? I
    >> use AVG free and it works fine with OE6. Why noy repair your OE 6
    >> installation and ditch your AV to replace with AVG or Avast or something
    >> like that?
    >>
    >> AFAIR it is a real pain to try and reload backed up emails, news and mail
    >> account settings are easy to reload from backups. I don't know of an easy
    >> way to reload newsgroups other than one at a time.

    > As you suggested. I ditched CA and went to AVG. Which works fine. I had
    > to go to "live chat" to get my refund and wait for 30 minutes, but as CA
    > said, No questions ask.
    > Thanks to all for your help.

    I'm glad to have been able to help and I hope Kadaithcha reads this as
    he/she/it likes to mock me at every opportunity...

    Bryan, Feb 13, 2007
  17. Steve IA

    Meat Plow Guest

    Re: Removing oe6- Resolved

    On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 16:31:24 +0000, Bryan Has Frothed:

    > "Steve IA" <> wrote in message
    >> Bryan wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "Steve IA" <> wrote in message
    >>> >

    >>> you will lose these things unless you back them up. What AV are you
    >>> using? I
    >>> use AVG free and it works fine with OE6. Why noy repair your OE 6
    >>> installation and ditch your AV to replace with AVG or Avast or something
    >>> like that?
    >>>
    >>> AFAIR it is a real pain to try and reload backed up emails, news and mail
    >>> account settings are easy to reload from backups. I don't know of an easy
    >>> way to reload newsgroups other than one at a time.

    >> As you suggested. I ditched CA and went to AVG. Which works fine. I had
    >> to go to "live chat" to get my refund and wait for 30 minutes, but as CA
    >> said, No questions ask.
    >> Thanks to all for your help.

    > I'm glad to have been able to help and I hope Kadaithcha reads this as
    > he/she/it likes to mock me at every opportunity...

    I'm glad that you seek K-man's approval.

    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Feb 13, 2007
  18. Steve IA

    why? Guest

    Re: Removing oe6- Resolved

    On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 09:31:47 -0600, Steve IA wrote:

    >Bryan wrote:
    >>
    >> "Steve IA" <> wrote in message
    >> > To try to resolve a conflict with oe6 and my AV program, I'm considering
    >> > removing and reinstalling oe6 from my Dell Win XP home sp2 machine, using
    >> > the "add/remove windows components" function. I've created a restore point
    >> > that I hopefully won't need.
    >> > If I do this will I lose all old emails in folders?
    >> > Will I lose all oe6 settings?
    >> >

    >> you will lose these things unless you back them up. What AV are you using? I

    <snip>

    >> way to reload newsgroups other than one at a time.

    >As you suggested. I ditched CA and went to AVG. Which works fine. I had
    >to go to "live chat" to get my refund and wait for 30 minutes, but as CA
    >said, No questions ask.
    >Thanks to all for your help.

    Nice one, I thought about trying that but didn't think it was worth the
    effort. Oh well.

    Me

    why?, Feb 13, 2007