    on Kaspersky. Thoughts on that appreciated as well.

    Thanks

    JH

    John Hyde, Feb 16, 2006

  2. John Hyde

    Gerard Bok Guest

    On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 13:12:43 -0800, John Hyde
    <> wrote:

    >Well it is finally time, My norton antiviruis subscriptions for
    >"Systemworks 2002" have expired and Symantic will not renew (not
    >supported, they apparently want to sell a forced upgrade)
    >
    >I recall having seen instructions here for making sure that they
    >uninstall cleanly, but can't find them in my search of the group.
    >Anyone have thoughts you care to share?

    Uninstall from Windows.
    Then run RNAV (You can find it --I hope-- on Symantec's site).
    Then remove any Norton AV related directories that may be left.

    --
    Kind regards,
    Gerard Bok

    Gerard Bok, Feb 16, 2006

  3. John Hyde wrote:
    > Well it is finally time, My norton antiviruis subscriptions for
    > "Systemworks 2002" have expired and Symantic will not renew (not
    > supported, they apparently want to sell a forced upgrade)
    >
    > I recall having seen instructions here for making sure that they
    > uninstall cleanly, but can't find them in my search of the group. Anyone
    > have thoughts you care to share?
    >
    > FYI, the affected computers are off the net right now and will not go
    > back on until I have a replacement AV product. I'm currently planning
    > on Kaspersky. Thoughts on that appreciated as well.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > JH

    I am very pleased with AVG. It's from www.grisoft.com. They have a
    free version which is good, but after I'd had it a while I went for the
    subscription version. Very good. An update takes seconds. There is
    one automatic one a day and then I signed up for their email
    notification and I'll get another, or even two more, in a day and take
    less than a minute to re-update. Businesslike and very responsive and
    helpful.

    Gualtier Malde (Chuck), Feb 16, 2006
  4. John Hyde

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I am very pleased with AVG. It's from www.grisoft.com. They have a
    > free version which is good, but after I'd had it a while I went for the
    > subscription version. Very good. An update takes seconds. There is
    > one automatic one a day and then I signed up for their email
    > notification and I'll get another, or even two more, in a day and take
    > less than a minute to re-update. Businesslike and very responsive and
    > helpful.

    We have about 20 residents of a Sorority running it on their computers,
    the latest version, daily updates, and they still manage to become
    infected every couple months - the last one was a trojan.flood virus
    that AVG missed - spammed their house network so badly the router could
    not handle the traffic and shut-down.

    I've never had a customer with Symantec Corp Edition or even Norton AV
    product on their system compromised, and that includes the other
    residents of the sorority at the same location.

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos, Feb 17, 2006
  5. John Hyde

    John Hyde Guest

    on 2/16/2006 2:51 PM Gualtier Malde (Chuck) said the following:
    > John Hyde wrote:
    >
    >> Well it is finally time, My norton antiviruis subscriptions for
    >> "Systemworks 2002" have expired and Symantic will not renew (not
    >> supported, they apparently want to sell a forced upgrade)
    >>
    >> I recall having seen instructions here for making sure that they
    >> uninstall cleanly, but can't find them in my search of the group.
    >> Anyone have thoughts you care to share?
    >>
    >> FYI, the affected computers are off the net right now and will not go
    >> back on until I have a replacement AV product. I'm currently planning
    >> on Kaspersky. Thoughts on that appreciated as well.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> JH

    > I am very pleased with AVG. It's from www.grisoft.com. They have a
    > free version which is good, but after I'd had it a while I went for the
    > subscription version. Very good. An update takes seconds. There is
    > one automatic one a day and then I signed up for their email
    > notification and I'll get another, or even two more, in a day and take
    > less than a minute to re-update. Businesslike and very responsive and
    > helpful.

    When I was looking for a solution for my Laptop, it seemed that
    Kaspersky had a higher detection rate in testing than AVG. Has AVG
    gotten better? The reports here: http://www.av-comparatives.org/ Look
    pretty up to date.

    John Hyde, Feb 17, 2006
  6. John Hyde

    traveler 66 Guest

    On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 13:12:43 -0800, John Hyde wrote:

    > Well it is finally time, My norton antiviruis subscriptions for
    > "Systemworks 2002" have expired and Symantic will not renew (not
    > supported, they apparently want to sell a forced upgrade)
    >
    > I recall having seen instructions here for making sure that they
    > uninstall cleanly, but can't find them in my search of the group.
    > Anyone have thoughts you care to share?
    >
    > FYI, the affected computers are off the net right now and will not go
    > back on until I have a replacement AV product. I'm currently planning
    > on Kaspersky. Thoughts on that appreciated as well.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > JH

    Give their tech support a call, they have a FREE uninstall utilty for their
    Norton they can e-mail you which will take it out competely. They should
    give you the uninstall even if your support is expired, (or the web address
    for it on their site)

    Regards,

    traveler 66, Feb 17, 2006
  7. John Hyde

    John Hyde Guest

    on 2/16/2006 1:19 PM Gerard Bok said the following:
    > On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 13:12:43 -0800, John Hyde
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Well it is finally time, My norton antiviruis subscriptions for
    >>"Systemworks 2002" have expired and Symantic will not renew (not
    >>supported, they apparently want to sell a forced upgrade)
    >>
    >>I recall having seen instructions here for making sure that they
    >>uninstall cleanly, but can't find them in my search of the group.
    >>Anyone have thoughts you care to share?

    > Uninstall from Windows.
    > Then run RNAV (You can find it --I hope-- on Symantec's site).
    > Then remove any Norton AV related directories that may be left.

    For anyone else in this situation: RNAV does not uninstall systemworks,
    only NAV. I've previously heard nightmares about trying to keep the
    other systemworks utilities but switching out the AV vendors. I decided
    not to try.

    There are two affected machines, one I used add/remove programs and it
    said it was successful. Then I went through the "manual" procedure
    found on the symantic page that tells you not to use RNAV for
    Syswrks2002. There were quite a few program files and registry keys
    left over.

    The other machine I also used Add/remove, but while booted in safe mode.
    I don't have time this evening to run through the manual procedure,
    but giving a quick look, I think it did a better job. I expect to still
    have some cleanup todo.

    JH

    John Hyde, Feb 17, 2006
  8. John Hyde

    NoSleep Guest

    On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 14:51:55 -0800, "Gualtier Malde (Chuck)"
    <> typed:

    >I am very pleased with AVG. It's from www.grisoft.com. They have a
    >free version which is good, but after I'd had it a while I went for the
    >subscription version. Very good. An update takes seconds. There is
    >one automatic one a day and then I signed up for their email
    >notification and I'll get another, or even two more, in a day and take
    >less than a minute to re-update. Businesslike and very responsive and
    >helpful.

    I have a similar opinion of AVG. I have AVG 7.1 w/firewall and it's
    performing well here. I've also had a good experience with NOD32 in the
    past as well.

    NoSleep.

    NoSleep, Feb 17, 2006
  9. Leythos wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> I am very pleased with AVG. It's from www.grisoft.com. They have a
    >> free version which is good, but after I'd had it a while I went for the
    >> subscription version. Very good. An update takes seconds. There is
    >> one automatic one a day and then I signed up for their email
    >> notification and I'll get another, or even two more, in a day and take
    >> less than a minute to re-update. Businesslike and very responsive and
    >> helpful.

    > We have about 20 residents of a Sorority running it on their computers,
    > the latest version, daily updates, and they still manage to become
    > infected every couple months - the last one was a trojan.flood virus that
    > AVG missed - spammed their house network so badly the router could not
    > handle the traffic and shut-down.
    >
    > I've never had a customer with Symantec Corp Edition or even Norton AV
    > product on their system compromised, and that includes the other residents
    > of the sorority at the same location.

    You're lucky. Three weeks ago I had to basically rebuild from scratch a
    law firm network that got nailed so bad they had thought they'd lost
    confidential client data to intruders (I don't believe they did). 74
    machines, 4 locations, separated by about 150 miles total. Every location
    protected by Corporate and every machine protected by NAV.

    Care to take a wild stab at the bottom line on the invoice, and how pissed
    they were at Symantec. ;-)

    Anecdotal evidence is just that. What you need to look at is the big
    picture, and if you do, Symantec products fall far short of some of their
    competitors. And it's been that way for a very, very long time. They're
    far better than nothing, but not anywhere NEAR the 100% reliable you
    apparently want to mislead people into believing, for what reasons God
    only knows... <shrug>

    George Orwell, Feb 17, 2006
  10. John Hyde

    Ben Furlow Guest

    John Hyde wrote:
    > on 2/16/2006 1:19 PM Gerard Bok said the following:
    >> On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 13:12:43 -0800, John Hyde
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Well it is finally time, My norton antiviruis subscriptions for
    >>> "Systemworks 2002" have expired and Symantic will not renew (not
    >>> supported, they apparently want to sell a forced upgrade)
    >>>
    >>> I recall having seen instructions here for making sure that they
    >>> uninstall cleanly, but can't find them in my search of the group.
    >>> Anyone have thoughts you care to share?

    >> Uninstall from Windows.
    >> Then run RNAV (You can find it --I hope-- on Symantec's site).
    >> Then remove any Norton AV related directories that may be left.
    >>

    > For anyone else in this situation: RNAV does not uninstall systemworks,
    > only NAV. I've previously heard nightmares about trying to keep the
    > other systemworks utilities but switching out the AV vendors. I decided
    > not to try.
    >
    > There are two affected machines, one I used add/remove programs and it
    > said it was successful. Then I went through the "manual" procedure
    > found on the symantic page that tells you not to use RNAV for
    > Syswrks2002. There were quite a few program files and registry keys
    > left over.
    >
    > The other machine I also used Add/remove, but while booted in safe mode.
    > I don't have time this evening to run through the manual procedure, but
    > giving a quick look, I think it did a better job. I expect to still
    > have some cleanup todo.
    >
    > JH

    Absolutely. Getting rid of this norton stuff is a right chore. i used
    RegDetective (freeware) to search the registry for left-overs; even so
    it was the best part of a couple of hours work to get rid of all related
    files and reg settings.

    Ben Furlow, Feb 17, 2006
  11. John Hyde

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Leythos wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...
    > >> I am very pleased with AVG. It's from www.grisoft.com. They have a
    > >> free version which is good, but after I'd had it a while I went for the
    > >> subscription version. Very good. An update takes seconds. There is
    > >> one automatic one a day and then I signed up for their email
    > >> notification and I'll get another, or even two more, in a day and take
    > >> less than a minute to re-update. Businesslike and very responsive and
    > >> helpful.

    > > We have about 20 residents of a Sorority running it on their computers,
    > > the latest version, daily updates, and they still manage to become
    > > infected every couple months - the last one was a trojan.flood virus that
    > > AVG missed - spammed their house network so badly the router could not
    > > handle the traffic and shut-down.
    > >
    > > I've never had a customer with Symantec Corp Edition or even Norton AV
    > > product on their system compromised, and that includes the other residents
    > > of the sorority at the same location.

    > You're lucky. Three weeks ago I had to basically rebuild from scratch a
    > law firm network that got nailed so bad they had thought they'd lost
    > confidential client data to intruders (I don't believe they did). 74
    > machines, 4 locations, separated by about 150 miles total. Every location
    > protected by Corporate and every machine protected by NAV.
    >
    > Care to take a wild stab at the bottom line on the invoice, and how pissed
    > they were at Symantec. ;-)
    >
    > Anecdotal evidence is just that. What you need to look at is the big
    > picture, and if you do, Symantec products fall far short of some of their
    > competitors. And it's been that way for a very, very long time. They're
    > far better than nothing, but not anywhere NEAR the 100% reliable you
    > apparently want to mislead people into believing, for what reasons God
    > only knows... <shrug>

    I've never seen a properly installed Symantec Solution (Corporate or
    Personal) result in a compromised system. Now I've seen users disable
    protection and then have their systems compromised, but that's not the
    fault of the AV software.

    When it comes to AV software, I've used all of the top 10, tested them
    against known viruses and malware, and while I do like KAP, we can't use
    it for some clients as it has foreign origins, Symantec has NEVER let me
    or any of our clients down, and it's blocked many viruses.

    We use their Mail Security product on all Exchange Servers, we use the
    Corp product with SMTP/Exchange and Real-Time scanning on their
    individual workstations, we run Symantec Corp on all servers. We
    validate that all workstations are getting their updates, that the
    servers fetch them every 8 hours and push them out to the workstations,
    that the SMS updates run every 4 hours.....

    Your statement is a little confusing "Every location protected by
    Corporate and every machine protected by NAV" - what does this mean? If
    you have Corporate Edition then you don't need or want NAV, Corporate
    edition installs on a Server and is pushed out, even across the VPN's,
    to the workstations, and then is managed from the server. It sounds like
    your solution was not properly setup/installed.

    You also didn't mention how the system was compromised or what
    compromised it. I stand by my statement that Symantec Corp Ed is the
    best product we've used on the market and has never let us or our
    clients down. We have been let down by AVG and several other products,
    like McAfee, Panda.....

    I have no stock in Symantec, no vested interest in the company, I have
    my experiences to go by, and a Sorority without a firewall to strip
    malware is about as wild as things can get when you look at all the
    different systems, users, and what all they try and do. Symantec/Norton
    users in the Sorority are never compromised as long as they have not let
    their subscription expire - and we've had them as a client for 3 years
    so far.

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos, Feb 17, 2006
  12. John Hyde

    Gerard Bok Guest

    On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 19:35:03 -0800, John Hyde
    <> wrote:

    >on 2/16/2006 1:19 PM Gerard Bok said the following:
    >> On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 13:12:43 -0800, John Hyde
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Well it is finally time, My norton antiviruis subscriptions for
    >>>"Systemworks 2002" have expired and Symantic will not renew (not
    >>>supported, they apparently want to sell a forced upgrade)
    >>>
    >>>I recall having seen instructions here for making sure that they
    >>>uninstall cleanly, but can't find them in my search of the group.
    >>>Anyone have thoughts you care to share?

    >> Uninstall from Windows.
    >> Then run RNAV (You can find it --I hope-- on Symantec's site).
    >> Then remove any Norton AV related directories that may be left.
    >>

    >For anyone else in this situation: RNAV does not uninstall systemworks,
    >only NAV.

    <quote> My norton antiviruis subscriptions for "Systemworks 2002"
    have expired <unquote>

    You didn't ask to remove Systemworks.
    Your licence to Systemworks did not expire, just the updates to
    NAV did :)

    --
    Kind regards,
    Gerard Bok

    Gerard Bok, Feb 17, 2006
  13. Leythos wrote:

    > I've never seen a properly installed Symantec Solution (Corporate or

    <snip babble>

    You missed the point entirely. What you've seen in your little corner
    of the world is mostly irrelevant. Many other people have seen many other
    things, a lot of it completely contrary to your less than universally
    informed opinion. Sometimes the consensus says your experience completely
    suck in fact, if you get right down to the nuts and bolts of the thing.
    Like right now.

    Norton/Symantec look good in glossy-mag "zoo" tests, but in the real world
    they can and DO fail quite regularly. The net is rife with those stories,
    and there's even cases where that particular product line has become an
    infection vector itself. Yes, actually helping SPREAD viruses rather than
    preventing them.

    Even <gasp> in spite of what your limited experience tells you kid.

    Borked Pseudo Mailed, Feb 18, 2006
  14. John Hyde

    John Hyde Guest

    on 2/17/2006 2:08 AM Ben Furlow said the following:
    > John Hyde wrote:
    >
    >> on 2/16/2006 1:19 PM Gerard Bok said the following:

    >>> Uninstall from Windows.
    >>> Then run RNAV (You can find it --I hope-- on Symantec's site).
    >>> Then remove any Norton AV related directories that may be left.
    >>>

    >> For anyone else in this situation: RNAV does not uninstall
    >> systemworks, only NAV. I've previously heard nightmares about trying
    >> to keep the other systemworks utilities but switching out the AV
    >> vendors. I decided not to try.
    >>
    >> There are two affected machines, one I used add/remove programs and it
    >> said it was successful. Then I went through the "manual" procedure
    >> found on the symantic page that tells you not to use RNAV for
    >> Syswrks2002. There were quite a few program files and registry keys
    >> left over.
    >>
    >> The other machine I also used Add/remove, but while booted in safe
    >> mode. I don't have time this evening to run through the manual
    >> procedure, but giving a quick look, I think it did a better job. I
    >> expect to still have some cleanup todo.
    >>
    >> JH

    > Absolutely. Getting rid of this norton stuff is a right chore. i used
    > RegDetective (freeware) to search the registry for left-overs; even so
    > it was the best part of a couple of hours work to get rid of all related
    > files and reg settings.

    Geez! I didn't spend that long. The instructions on the Norton web site
    had a hell of a long list, and it probably took a half hour. but mostly
    it was just IDing the correct registry keys, in order apparently, and
    doing deletions. If there is anything left on my box, I sure can see no
    effect. (Runs faster now too.)

    JH

    John Hyde, Feb 18, 2006
  15. John Hyde

    John Hyde Guest

    on 2/17/2006 6:45 AM Gerard Bok said the following:
    > On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 19:35:03 -0800, John Hyde
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>on 2/16/2006 1:19 PM Gerard Bok said the following:

    >>>Uninstall from Windows.
    >>>Then run RNAV (You can find it --I hope-- on Symantec's site).
    >>>Then remove any Norton AV related directories that may be left.
    >>>

    >>For anyone else in this situation: RNAV does not uninstall systemworks,
    >>only NAV.

    > <quote> My norton antiviruis subscriptions for "Systemworks 2002"
    > have expired <unquote>
    >
    > You didn't ask to remove Systemworks.
    > Your licence to Systemworks did not expire, just the updates to
    > NAV did :)

    Uhhh, good point. In another post, I think I said I'd heard horror
    stories about running other AV products with Systemworks still
    installed. I've got it working now though. Thanks!

    JH

    John Hyde, Feb 18, 2006
  16. John Hyde

    john2 Guest

    John Hyde wrote:
    > on 2/16/2006 2:51 PM Gualtier Malde (Chuck) said the following:
    >
    >> John Hyde wrote:
    >>
    >>> Well it is finally time, My norton antiviruis subscriptions for
    >>> "Systemworks 2002" have expired and Symantic will not renew (not
    >>> supported, they apparently want to sell a forced upgrade)
    >>>
    >>> I recall having seen instructions here for making sure that they
    >>> uninstall cleanly, but can't find them in my search of the group.
    >>> Anyone have thoughts you care to share?
    >>>
    >>> FYI, the affected computers are off the net right now and will not go
    >>> back on until I have a replacement AV product. I'm currently
    >>> planning on Kaspersky. Thoughts on that appreciated as well.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> JH

    >> I am very pleased with AVG. It's from www.grisoft.com. They have a
    >> free version which is good, but after I'd had it a while I went for
    >> the subscription version. Very good. An update takes seconds. There
    >> is one automatic one a day and then I signed up for their email
    >> notification and I'll get another, or even two more, in a day and take
    >> less than a minute to re-update. Businesslike and very responsive and
    >> helpful.

    > When I was looking for a solution for my Laptop, it seemed that
    > Kaspersky had a higher detection rate in testing than AVG. Has AVG
    > gotten better? The reports here: http://www.av-comparatives.org/ Look
    > pretty up to date.

    Why not just get a last-year's Norton off Ebay for next to nothing. It
    will have free upgrades for 1 year beyond installation with a valid
    serial number and should be OK for a number of years.
    Worked twice for me with two PC's

    john2

    john2, Feb 21, 2006
  17. And then there is NAV 4.0.