Removing Malware - frustrating and time consuming

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Howie, Apr 2, 2005.

  1. Howie

    Howie Guest

    I have tried to removing malware from numerous PC of friends and family in
    the past, with some successes and some failures. I have a few questions
    about the process...

    1. I have had a high degree of trouble removing malware from Windows XP
    machines... is this typical? When I run "Ad-Aware SE" & "Spy-Bot Search and
    Destroy", the malware just seems to come right back after a repeat malware
    scan... why is this? Even after a restart (and numerous re-scan), there is
    still a fair number of malware items detected, but not able to remove...
    comments?

    2. I have also tried to post a HighJackThis log as well on a help forum,
    but the list is removal steps are just are time consuming and technical as a
    complete Windows XP re-install... bummer... comments?

    3. Have any tips/advice/suggestions/advice on how is the best way to tackle
    this malware BS?

    Howie
    Howie, Apr 2, 2005

  2. Howie

    Plato Guest

    Howie wrote:

    > 3. Have any tips/advice/suggestions/advice on how is the best way to tackle
    > this malware BS?

    Best tip Howie to not install it in the first place.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Apr 2, 2005

  3. Howie

    Howie Guest

    I tell people the same thing, but some just don't know... when I work on an
    infected PC, it obviously too late to say "don't install malware"... anyone
    else care to comment?

    Howie, Apr 3, 2005
  4. Howie

    bambam Guest

    "Howie" <> wrote in

    > I have tried to removing malware from numerous PC of friends and
    > family in the past, with some successes and some failures. I have a
    > few questions about the process...
    >
    > 1. I have had a high degree of trouble removing malware from Windows
    > XP machines... is this typical? When I run "Ad-Aware SE" & "Spy-Bot
    > Search and Destroy", the malware just seems to come right back after a
    > repeat malware scan... why is this? Even after a restart (and
    > numerous re-scan), there is still a fair number of malware items
    > detected, but not able to remove... comments?
    >
    > 2. I have also tried to post a HighJackThis log as well on a help
    > forum, but the list is removal steps are just are time consuming and
    > technical as a complete Windows XP re-install... bummer... comments?
    >
    > 3. Have any tips/advice/suggestions/advice on how is the best way to
    > tackle this malware BS?

    Backup important info to a removable media-

    address book - export
    favourites - export
    my documents - copy folder
    email - copy folder that contains mbx files
    any other important info - photos, downloads, etc
    drivers - this program will help-

    http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2005/PL2005FILEUTILITIES.php#0845-PW

    Turn off system restore.

    Run HighJackThis and save log.

    Run AdAwre, SpyBot, and maybe the new MS anti spyware tool. I haven't used
    the MS tool, but have heard good things.

    Run HighJackThis and save log. Compare with other log.

    Reboot computer.

    Run HighJackThis and save log. Compare with other logs.

    Run anti spyware programs again.

    Depends what is left now. ;)

    CWShredder for Cool Web Search detection-

    Other bits and pieces here-

    http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_SECURITY.php

    After you think your clean-

    Run HighJackThis and save log.

    Turn on system restore.

    Install SpywareBlaster, Thunderbird, Firefox, Firewall (Kerio or
    ZoneAlarm), disable all the services you don't need-

    And if all this is too much, you could try Linux. ;)
    bambam, Apr 3, 2005
  5. Howie

    Howie Guest

    In other words, it is a lot easier to do a re-install... correct?

    Howie, Apr 3, 2005
  6. Howie

    bambam Guest

    "Howie" <> wrote in

    > In other words, it is a lot easier to do a re-install... correct?

    No, as Plato said "Best tip Howie to not install it in the first place".
    Reinstalling would be my last option. :)
    bambam, Apr 5, 2005
  7. Howie

    Howie Guest

    it's a little to late when someone has already installed the malware....
    I'm not getting any answers (other than to not install the malware, which I
    totally knew anyways)...

    Howie, Apr 6, 2005