    says "cannot find server Microsoft IE'. I'm sorry, she lives far away
    and isn't as computer literate as we are.

    I have read that it's impossible to remove IE from Windows.
    Richard Fangnail, May 21, 2006

  2. Richard Fangnail

    Noel Paton Guest

    "Richard Fangnail" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Is it possible to accidentally remove IE from Windows XP?

    No- unless teh user had an Admin account, and clicked on a rather obvious
    link to a script

    My friend
    > wrote and claims that she did.

    The are mistaken

    She says when she tries to start IE, it
    > says "cannot find server Microsoft IE'.

    Cannot Find Server is an IE error message - it means that IE can;t see the
    other end of the copnnection

    try this - assuming the system is Windows XP SP2
    Close all programs
    click on Start | Run
    type

    NETSH WINSOCK RESET

    Click OK - and then reboot the system

    then try IE again

    > I'm sorry, she lives far away
    > and isn't as computer literate as we are.
    >
    > I have read that it's impossible to remove IE from Windows.

    It's not impossible - but it's more and more difficult

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    Noel Paton, May 21, 2006

  3. Richard Fangnail

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Richard Fangnail spewed forth:
    > Is it possible to accidentally remove IE from Windows XP? My friend
    > wrote and claims that she did. She says when she tries to start IE,
    > it says "cannot find server Microsoft IE'. I'm sorry, she lives far
    > away and isn't as computer literate as we are.
    >
    > I have read that it's impossible to remove IE from Windows.

    No, you can't remove IE from Windows XP. But it CAN be damaged.

    Ask her what happens if she types a web address (www.msn.com or similar) in
    the address bar in My Computer. (If the address bar isn't showing, she
    should right-click on the menu bar to the right of "Help", and click on
    "Address bar" in the pop-up menu.)

    Toolman Tim, May 21, 2006
  4. She has Netscape and says it works okay. I wonder what she could have
    done so that IE can't find any sites. I'm sorry, it's so hard to
    diagnose from far away.

    Richard Fangnail, May 21, 2006
  5. Richard Fangnail

    philo Guest

    > Is it possible to accidentally remove IE from Windows XP? My friend
    > wrote and claims that she did. She says when she tries to start IE, it
    > says "cannot find server Microsoft IE'. I'm sorry, she lives far away
    > and isn't as computer literate as we are.
    >
    > I have read that it's impossible to remove IE from Windows.

    Even it IE is deleted...it will return due to XP's protection of necessary
    system files...
    but obviously something was damaged...
    Have them try a system restore

    philo, May 21, 2006
  6. Richard Fangnail

    Zeke Guest

    > Is it possible to accidentally remove IE from Windows XP? My friend
    > wrote and claims that she did. She says when she tries to start IE, it
    > says "cannot find server Microsoft IE'. I'm sorry, she lives far away
    > and isn't as computer literate as we are.
    >
    > I have read that it's impossible to remove IE from Windows.

    Hopefully she did remove it, there are much better browsers available.
    Zeke, May 22, 2006
  7. Richard Fangnail

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>,
    Richard Fangnail <> wrote:

    > Is it possible to accidentally remove IE from Windows XP? My friend
    > wrote and claims that she did. She says when she tries to start IE, it
    > says "cannot find server Microsoft IE'. I'm sorry, she lives far away
    > and isn't as computer literate as we are.
    >
    > I have read that it's impossible to remove IE from Windows.

    It's not that it's impossible -- Microsoft just wrote it to share
    libraries with system tools, so removing all IE parts would be
    technically damaging to the OS.
    It's just a browser - they could easily (very very very easily) have
    just written it to use the same libraries in a different location, and
    then it would be as removable as any program.

    All that seems to be going on here is that she has set the browser to
    use an invalid start page. I don't know where it is stored in her
    version of Windows, but it could be the control panels, internet
    settings, and the browser settins itself.

    She needs to launch the program and then open those settings and change
    them to use something valid for a start page -- anything is fine.
    I like to set it to clusty.com or ask.com -- both good search engines.
    Mitch, May 22, 2006
  8. Richard Fangnail

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sun, 21 May 2006 15:38:03 -0700, Richard Fangnail wrote:

    > Subject: Re: Removing IE from Windows XP service pack 2?
    > From: "Richard Fangnail" <>
    > Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > Date: 21 May 2006 15:38:03 -0700
    >
    > She has Netscape and says it works okay. I wonder what she could have
    > done so that IE can't find any sites. I'm sorry, it's so hard to diagnose
    > from far away.

    Make sure there is nothing checked in IE / Tools / Internet Options /
    Connections / Lan Settings unless her service provider has a proxy server.

    Meat Plow, May 22, 2006