    Assistance would be appreciated.

    Thank you,

    Malcolm Mason

    Malcolm William Mason, Jul 22, 2005

  2. Malcolm William Mason

    Guest

    Malcolm William Mason <mwm1(spam)@JHU.edu> wrote:

    |>I have downloaded Quick Time and the d... thing has installed an icon
    |>for itself in the system tray. I rarely will use it but it is convenient
    |>to have it available. But I do not need or want it "cluttering" the
    |>system tray. I am tempted to remove it entirely just to get rid of it
    |>but it tells me that if I uninstall it completely that it will affect
    |>other previously installed programs. The so-called partial Install
    |>leaves the icon in the tray. Quick Time help tells me to right click on
    |>this icon and select "Preferences".When I do, the only preference that
    |>is offered is to select "Instant On". Nothing else, no mention of
    |>anything else.
    |>I would like to see it gone and since I have gone this long without it ,
    |>perhaps remove it entirely, if I can do this safely.
    |>
    |>Assistance would be appreciated.

    In the Control Panel open up Quicktime.
    It's switched on and off in the advanced area.

    --

    , Jul 22, 2005

  3. Malcolm William Mason

    Voltardo Guest

    Malcolm William Mason wrote:

    >I have downloaded Quick Time and the d... thing has installed an icon
    >for itself in the system tray. I rarely will use it but it is convenient
    >to have it available. But I do not need or want it "cluttering" the
    >system tray. I am tempted to remove it entirely just to get rid of it
    >but it tells me that if I uninstall it completely that it will affect
    >other previously installed programs. The so-called partial Install
    >leaves the icon in the tray. Quick Time help tells me to right click on
    >this icon and select "Preferences".When I do, the only preference that
    >is offered is to select "Instant On". Nothing else, no mention of
    >anything else.
    >I would like to see it gone and since I have gone this long without it ,
    >perhaps remove it entirely, if I can do this safely.
    >
    >Assistance would be appreciated.
    >
    >Thank you,
    >
    > Malcolm Mason

    Rt.clk. the icon, left click 'Delete' (not Properties) from the drop
    down menu. Keep trying, it works. BTW, this deletes only an icon, not
    the program......

    Voltardo, Jul 22, 2005
  4. Re: Re: Removing Icon from System Tray

    On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 22:42:49 -0700, wrote:

    > Malcolm William Mason <mwm1(spam)@JHU.edu> wrote:
    >
    >|>I have downloaded Quick Time and the d... thing has installed an icon
    >|>for itself in the system tray. I rarely will use it but it is convenient
    >|>to have it available. But I do not need or want it "cluttering" the
    >|>system tray. I am tempted to remove it entirely just to get rid of it
    >|>but it tells me that if I uninstall it completely that it will affect
    >|>other previously installed programs. The so-called partial Install
    >|>leaves the icon in the tray. Quick Time help tells me to right click on
    >|>this icon and select "Preferences".When I do, the only preference that
    >|>is offered is to select "Instant On". Nothing else, no mention of
    >|>anything else.
    >|>I would like to see it gone and since I have gone this long without it ,
    >|>perhaps remove it entirely, if I can do this safely.
    >|>
    >|>Assistance would be appreciated.
    >
    >In the Control Panel open up Quicktime.
    >It's switched on and off in the advanced area.

    If you mean the Control Panel that I get to from start
    menu/settings/control panel there is no Quick Time in that control
    panel. can you expand on this, please.

    Malcolm

    Malcolm William Mason, Jul 22, 2005
  5. Re: Re: Removing Icon from System Tray

    On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 01:51:14 -0400, Voltardo
    <> wrote:

    >Malcolm William Mason wrote:
    >
    >>I have downloaded Quick Time and the d... thing has installed an icon
    >>for itself in the system tray. I rarely will use it but it is convenient
    >>to have it available. But I do not need or want it "cluttering" the
    >>system tray. I am tempted to remove it entirely just to get rid of it
    >>but it tells me that if I uninstall it completely that it will affect
    >>other previously installed programs. The so-called partial Install
    >>leaves the icon in the tray. Quick Time help tells me to right click on
    >>this icon and select "Preferences".When I do, the only preference that
    >>is offered is to select "Instant On". Nothing else, no mention of
    >>anything else.
    >>I would like to see it gone and since I have gone this long without it ,
    >>perhaps remove it entirely, if I can do this safely.
    >>
    >>Assistance would be appreciated.
    >>
    >>Thank you,
    >>
    >> Malcolm Mason
    >>

    >Rt.clk. the icon, left click 'Delete' (not Properties) from the drop
    >down menu. Keep trying, it works. BTW, this deletes only an icon, not
    >the program......

    Delete does not appear.I get:
    About Quick Time/quick Time Site(a separator)Q T Preferences/QT
    Info/Check for QT Updates(a separator)open QTPlayer*/Open Picture
    Viewer/open Favorites/open Recent(another separator) Exit and that is
    all that a right click gives me. *indicates setting was bold faced

    Any other ideas?

    hanks,
    Malcolm

    Malcolm William Mason, Jul 22, 2005
  6. Re: Re: Removing Icon from System Tray

    On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 22:42:49 -0700, wrote:

    > Malcolm William Mason <mwm1(spam)@JHU.edu> wrote:
    >
    >|>I have downloaded Quick Time and the d... thing has installed an icon
    >|>for itself in the system tray. I rarely will use it but it is convenient
    >|>to have it available. But I do not need or want it "cluttering" the
    >|>system tray. I am tempted to remove it entirely just to get rid of it
    >|>but it tells me that if I uninstall it completely that it will affect
    >|>other previously installed programs. The so-called partial Install
    >|>leaves the icon in the tray. Quick Time help tells me to right click on
    >|>this icon and select "Preferences".When I do, the only preference that
    >|>is offered is to select "Instant On". Nothing else, no mention of
    >|>anything else.
    >|>I would like to see it gone and since I have gone this long without it ,
    >|>perhaps remove it entirely, if I can do this safely.
    >|>
    >|>Assistance would be appreciated.
    >
    >In the Control Panel open up Quicktime.
    >It's switched on and off in the advanced area.

    I should have mentioned that I am running XP PRO SP2 is installed

    Malcolm

    Malcolm William Mason, Jul 22, 2005
  7. Malcolm William Mason

    Guest

    Malcolm William Mason <mwm1(spam)@JHU.edu> wrote:

    |>>In the Control Panel open up Quicktime.
    |>>It's switched on and off in the advanced area.
    |>
    |>If you mean the Control Panel that I get to from start
    |>menu/settings/control panel there is no Quick Time in that control
    |>panel. can you expand on this, please.

    Could be you deleted too much - reinstall Quicktime, it's worth it for
    some pages on the web (NASA)

    In the control panel is an applet called Quicktime double click on it.
    Or
    Run (WinKey+R) <type in> QuickTime.cpl <enter>

    System bar is selected in the advanced area.

    --

    , Jul 22, 2005
  8. Re: Re: Removing Icon from System Tray

    On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 23:37:41 -0700, wrote:

    > Malcolm William Mason <mwm1(spam)@JHU.edu> wrote:

    >|>If you mean the Control Panel that I get to from start
    >|>menu/settings/control panel there is no Quick Time in that control
    >|>panel. can you expand on this, please.
    >
    >Could be you deleted too much - reinstall Quicktime, it's worth it for
    >some pages on the web (NASA)
    >
    >In the control panel is an applet called Quicktime double click on it.
    >Or
    >Run (WinKey+R) <type in> QuickTime.cpl <enter>
    >
    >System bar is selected in the advanced area.

    I only see Icons in my control panel and nothing named quicktime.

    Using "RUN" I still get a window with only one selection. "Instant On"

    Thanks Malcolm

    Malcolm William Mason, Jul 22, 2005
  9. Re: Re: Removing Icon from System Tray

    "Malcolm William Mason" <mwm1(spam)@JHU.edu> wrote in message

    >>In the Control Panel open up Quicktime.
    >>It's switched on and off in the advanced area.

    > If you mean the Control Panel that I get to from start
    > menu/settings/control panel there is no Quick Time in that control
    > panel. can you expand on this, please.

    Let me guess, you are displaying Control Panel in the "we dumbed it down so
    you don't hurt yourself" XP default. Well, here's what you do...

    Open up Control Panel and either A) look up at the top left and click on
    "switch to classic view" or B) look down on the bottom left and click on
    "other control panel options." Once you do that, the QuickTime applet will
    be revealed. Open that sucker up, choose "Browser plug-in" from the pull
    down menu and clear the check mark in "Quick Time system tray." You can do
    the same thing (really, you can!) from the icon that's sitting in your
    system tray. Use that ol' pull down menu, son! That's what it's there for.

    Oxford Systems, Jul 22, 2005
  10. Re: Re: Removing Icon from System Tray

    >>convenient
    >>on
    >>that
    >>it ,

    >>Could be you deleted too much - reinstall Quicktime, it's worth it for
    >>some pages on the web (NASA)
    >>
    >>In the control panel is an applet called Quicktime double click on it.
    >>Or
    >>Run (WinKey+R) <type in> QuickTime.cpl <enter>
    >>
    >>System bar is selected in the advanced area.

    > I only see Icons in my control panel and nothing named quicktime.
    >
    > Using "RUN" I still get a window with only one selection. "Instant On"

    "Instant on" is part of a pull down menu. Pull that sucker down and have a
    look around.

    Oxford Systems, Jul 22, 2005
  11. Malcolm William Mason

    Bud Light Guest

    > On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 01:51:14 -0400, Voltardo
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Malcolm William Mason wrote:
    > >
    > >>I have downloaded Quick Time and the d... thing has installed an icon
    > >>for itself in the system tray. I rarely will use it but it is convenient
    > >>to have it available. But I do not need or want it "cluttering" the
    > >>system tray. I am tempted to remove it entirely just to get rid of it
    > >>but it tells me that if I uninstall it completely that it will affect
    > >>other previously installed programs. The so-called partial Install
    > >>leaves the icon in the tray. Quick Time help tells me to right click on
    > >>this icon and select "Preferences".When I do, the only preference that
    > >>is offered is to select "Instant On". Nothing else, no mention of
    > >>anything else.
    > >>I would like to see it gone and since I have gone this long without it ,
    > >>perhaps remove it entirely, if I can do this safely.
    > >>
    > >>Assistance would be appreciated.
    > >>
    > >>Thank you,
    > >>
    > >> Malcolm Mason
    > >>

    > >Rt.clk. the icon, left click 'Delete' (not Properties) from the drop
    > >down menu. Keep trying, it works. BTW, this deletes only an icon, not
    > >the program......

    > Delete does not appear.I get:
    > About Quick Time/quick Time Site(a separator)Q T Preferences/QT
    > Info/Check for QT Updates(a separator)open QTPlayer*/Open Picture
    > Viewer/open Favorites/open Recent(another separator) Exit and that is
    > all that a right click gives me. *indicates setting was bold faced
    >
    > Any other ideas?
    >
    > hanks,
    > Malcolm

    Do the following....

    Open the Quicktime player
    Under the EDIT option select Preferences
    From Preferences select QuickTime Preferences
    From the drop-down box select Browser Plug-in
    Uncheck the box for Quicktime system tray icon

    Bud Light, Jul 22, 2005