    Has anyone removed the heat sink from Corsair vengeance and if so will they
    overheat?
    housetrained

    housetrained, Dec 14, 2012

  2. housetrained

    Paul Guest

    housetrained wrote:
    > Has anyone removed the heat sink from Corsair vengeance and if so will
    > they overheat?
    > housetrained

    The easiest way to do this, is to look at the non-enthusiast modules
    Kingston sells.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...SpeTabStoreType=&AdvancedSearch=1&srchInDesc=

    No heatsinks.

    And some are low profile, which helps if you have an overhead
    clearance problem.

    On enthusiast modules, the heatsinks are put there as much to
    hide the chip numbers, as to provide necessary cooling. In fact,
    with the heatsinks removed, there's more room in the channel
    between modules, for cooling air. If four modules with heatsinks
    sit side by side, some of the modules have no air channel to
    either side. And then end up relying on the top fins for cooling.

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 14, 2012

  3. "housetrained" <> wrote in message
    > Has anyone removed the heat sink from Corsair vengeance and if so will
    > they overheat?
    > housetrained

    No. Heatsinks don't do anything that is important. Just take it off if it
    gets in the way.

    Sheesh! Do you REALLY think they go through the trouble to put a heatsink on
    stuff that doesn't need to have one? Memory modules create heat that needs
    to be pulled away, that is why the manufacturers put heatsinks on.

    Do not remove the heatsink, else prepare yourself for unreliable operation
    if you do.

    Jeff Strickland, Dec 14, 2012
  4. housetrained

    Paul Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:

    > "housetrained" <> wrote in message
    >> Has anyone removed the heat sink from Corsair vengeance and if so will
    >> they overheat?
    >> housetrained

    > No. Heatsinks don't do anything that is important. Just take it off if
    > it gets in the way.
    >
    > Sheesh! Do you REALLY think they go through the trouble to put a
    > heatsink on stuff that doesn't need to have one? Memory modules create
    > heat that needs to be pulled away, that is why the manufacturers put
    > heatsinks on.
    >
    > Do not remove the heatsink, else prepare yourself for unreliable
    > operation if you do.

    When they don't want you removing the heatsink, they use rivets
    like this. This one is a RAMBUS module, which is prone to getting
    hot spots, due to the serial interconnect and single chip access
    method.

    http://www.kitchentablecomputers.com/Images/components/rimm.gif

    DDR/DDR2/DDR3 don't get hot spots. All the chips run at the same
    temperature (normal operation, random data). Accesses to the chips
    happen in parallel, with all chips in a rank, responding at the
    same time.

    DDR/DDR2/DDR3 don't use rivets. Instead, crappy double-sided tape
    is used.

    The fact Kingston makes so many of their ValueRAM modules without
    any metal plates on top, should tell you something. They don't
    need it.

    The chips on my current Kingston module, have no heatsink,
    and the surface temperature is similar to my body temperature.
    A little below 40C.

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 14, 2012