    How can I isolate and remove this file?

    TIA

    Budgie

    Budgie, Jun 1, 2004

  2. Budgie

    The Prophecy Guest

    Budgie wrote:
    > An .exe file has appeared on my machine that I wish to delete. It is
    > 116kb in size and is a "contact access plug-in". The file has not
    > been run, but refuses to go either by the usual XP right-click or by
    > using an eraser program. The message in both cases is that the .exe
    > file cannot be deleted as it is in use by another program.
    >
    > How can I isolate and remove this file?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Budgie

    Right click on the taskbar and go to Task Manager. In the Processes tab find
    the .exe in question, highlight it and click End Process. Now find the file
    again and delete it.

    The Prophecy, Jun 1, 2004

  3. Budgie

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    If you haven't got a clue which file to end processes just start-up in safe
    made you should be able to delete it then.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, Jun 1, 2004
  4. Budgie

    Budgie Guest

    "Budgie" <> wrote in message
    > An .exe file has appeared on my machine that I wish to delete. It is 116kb
    > in size and is a "contact access plug-in".

    Many thanks for suggestions. Before I read them, I restarted computer and
    the file deleted straight away. Don't ask me why - it hadn't before!!

    Thanks again

    Budgie

    Budgie, Jun 1, 2004
  5. Budgie

    ProfGene Guest

    This usually doesn't work but you can try changing the name and extenstion.
    Also if that doesn't work run a virus program which might identify and
    delete it. Or try running an anti spyware program.

    ProfGene, Jun 3, 2004
  6. Budgie

    Stuart Guest

    Budgie wrote:

    > "Budgie" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>An .exe file has appeared on my machine that I wish to delete. It is 116kb
    >>in size and is a "contact access plug-in".

    > Many thanks for suggestions. Before I read them, I restarted computer and
    > the file deleted straight away. Don't ask me why - it hadn't before!!
    >
    > Thanks again
    >
    > Budgie

    It seems to be a thing with Win2K and XP and can happen to any file not
    just executables, even if you did try and look at the processes you
    probably would not have seen anything.

    Stuart

    Stuart, Jun 11, 2004