Removing Explorer?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, Jun 15, 2006.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Is there a way of completely removing Internet Explorer from a Windows
    XP Home system and just using Firefox?

    At the moment I have just deleted the links to it, but whenever
    someone clicks the check email within Messenger it still opens up
    explorer when I want it to just use Firefox all the time for browsing.

    Cheers

    John
    John, Jun 15, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. John

    ypodopy Guest

    make sure that firefox is your default browser and if you want,
    uninstall your IE at add/remove programs>>add/remove windows
    components.

    hope this will help.





    John wrote:
    > Is there a way of completely removing Internet Explorer from a Windows
    > XP Home system and just using Firefox?
    >
    > At the moment I have just deleted the links to it, but whenever
    > someone clicks the check email within Messenger it still opens up
    > explorer when I want it to just use Firefox all the time for browsing.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > John
    ypodopy, Jun 15, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. John

    Robert Baer Guest

    ypodopy wrote:

    > make sure that firefox is your default browser and if you want,
    > uninstall your IE at add/remove programs>>add/remove windows
    > components.
    >
    > hope this will help.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > John wrote:
    >
    >>Is there a way of completely removing Internet Explorer from a Windows
    >>XP Home system and just using Firefox?
    >>
    >>At the moment I have just deleted the links to it, but whenever
    >>someone clicks the check email within Messenger it still opens up
    >>explorer when I want it to just use Firefox all the time for browsing.
    >>
    >>Cheers
    >>
    >>John

    >
    >

    I know that it is impossible to remove IE in Win2K, and rather
    difficult and involved to remove it from Win98SE.
    Are you absolutely positive that it is *listed* as an installed
    program in XP?
    I seriously doubt that, as it has never been on the list in other Win
    OSes.
    Robert Baer, Jun 15, 2006
    #3
  4. John

    Travis Guest

    Don't use firefox....

    If you won't listen to me and many others,

    Just install firefox and have it set as your default browser. And remove it
    from the start menu and desktop (right click properties, background,
    customize desktop, uncheck internet explorer and put firefox there.

    Don't use firefox

    --


    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Eliminate annoying spam!
    My mailbox is protected by iHateSpam, the #1-rated spam buster."

    http://www.ihatespam.net


    "John" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Is there a way of completely removing Internet Explorer from a Windows
    > XP Home system and just using Firefox?
    >
    > At the moment I have just deleted the links to it, but whenever
    > someone clicks the check email within Messenger it still opens up
    > explorer when I want it to just use Firefox all the time for browsing.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > John
    >
    >
    Travis, Jun 15, 2006
    #4
  5. John

    JTJersey Guest

    On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 20:45:56 +0100, John wrote:

    > Is there a way of completely removing Internet Explorer from a Windows
    > XP Home system and just using Firefox?
    >
    > At the moment I have just deleted the links to it, but whenever someone
    > clicks the check email within Messenger it still opens up explorer when
    > I want it to just use Firefox all the time for browsing.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > John


    Afraid not, it's part of the operating system. Just set Firefox as the
    default browser, or Opera or whatever else you like. I use Firefox in
    Windows and Linux. Some websites will only work properly if you use
    Internet Explorer, however.
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, Jun 16, 2006
    #5
  6. John

    Robert Baer Guest

    JTJersey wrote:
    > On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 20:45:56 +0100, John wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Is there a way of completely removing Internet Explorer from a Windows
    >>XP Home system and just using Firefox?
    >>
    >>At the moment I have just deleted the links to it, but whenever someone
    >>clicks the check email within Messenger it still opens up explorer when
    >>I want it to just use Firefox all the time for browsing.
    >>
    >>Cheers
    >>
    >>John

    >
    >
    > Afraid not, it's part of the operating system. Just set Firefox as the
    > default browser, or Opera or whatever else you like. I use Firefox in
    > Windows and Linux. Some websites will only work properly if you use
    > Internet Explorer, however.

    I call such websites "browser hostile".
    Robert Baer, Jun 16, 2006
    #6
  7. John

    bambam Guest

    John <> wrote in news:u4e392lf6k3geu2rksk4975jooebepncb9@
    4ax.com:

    > Is there a way of completely removing Internet Explorer from a Windows
    > XP Home system and just using Firefox?


    Yes there is, although you should probably make an image of your system
    before trying.

    http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html

    And for anyone who would like to modify the contents of their Windows CD
    before installation then this is the program for you-

    nLite
    Freeware
    Supports Windows 2000, XP x86/x64 and 2003 x86/x64 all languages.
    It needs .NET Framework 2.0 in order to run it.

    Have you ever wanted to remove Windows components like Media Player,
    Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, MSN Explorer, Messenger...

    How about not even to install them with Windows ?

    nLite is a tool for permanent Windows components removal and pre-
    installation Windows setup. After removal there is an option to make
    bootable image ready for burning on cd or testing in virtual machines. With
    nLite you will be able to have Windows installation which on install
    doesn't include, or even contain on cd, unwanted components.

    http://www.nliteos.com/nlite.html

    --
    Always tell the truth. That way, you don't have to remember what you said.

    Mark Twain
    bambam, Jun 16, 2006
    #7
  8. John

    bambam Guest

    Robert Baer <> wrote in news:eek:jkkg.6334$o4.3259
    @newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

    > I know that it is impossible to remove IE in Win2K, and rather
    > difficult and involved to remove it from Win98SE.


    It is actually really easy to remove IE from Win98-

    http://www.litepc.com/ieradicator.html

    --
    Always tell the truth. That way, you don't have to remember what you said.

    Mark Twain
    bambam, Jun 16, 2006
    #8
  9. John

    JTJersey Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 07:41:00 +0000, Robert Baer wrote:

    >>Some websites will only work properly if you use
    >> Internet Explorer, however.

    > I call such websites "browser hostile".



    Agreed.
    JTJersey, Jun 16, 2006
    #9
  10. John

    John Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 11:36:34 +0000 (UTC), bambam
    <> wrote:

    >John <> wrote in news:u4e392lf6k3geu2rksk4975jooebepncb9@
    >4ax.com:
    >
    >> Is there a way of completely removing Internet Explorer from a Windows
    >> XP Home system and just using Firefox?

    >
    >Yes there is, although you should probably make an image of your system
    >before trying.
    >
    >http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html
    >
    >And for anyone who would like to modify the contents of their Windows CD
    >before installation then this is the program for you-
    >
    >nLite
    >Freeware
    >Supports Windows 2000, XP x86/x64 and 2003 x86/x64 all languages.
    >It needs .NET Framework 2.0 in order to run it.
    >
    >Have you ever wanted to remove Windows components like Media Player,
    >Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, MSN Explorer, Messenger...
    >
    >How about not even to install them with Windows ?
    >
    >nLite is a tool for permanent Windows components removal and pre-
    >installation Windows setup. After removal there is an option to make
    >bootable image ready for burning on cd or testing in virtual machines. With
    >nLite you will be able to have Windows installation which on install
    >doesn't include, or even contain on cd, unwanted components.
    >
    >http://www.nliteos.com/nlite.html


    Yep. Cheers guys. It seems like it is absolutely impossible to
    completely remove IE from Win XP.

    Even after using the freeware program above and removing it via that,
    if I open up MSN Messenger, sign in and click on the button to access
    my new mail, it will bring up Explorer and navigate to Hotmail.

    I even tried going to Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs/Add or
    Remove Windows Components and taking the check out of the IE box. That
    didn't work as users can still get into Explorer via MSN.

    I then tried the option below removing Windows Components, which is
    Set Program Access and Defaults. I chose my own Custom settings in
    here to try and disable access to Internet Explorer and only allow it
    to Firefox, but still you can get into Explorer via MSN Messenger.
    Some of the websites have parts of the pages not displaying but people
    can still have a lot of useability with the webpages and via emails
    etc.

    The only solution I have been able to use to prevent use of Explorer
    is via the ZoneAlarm Firewall. I have set the program as completely
    blocked in all categories.

    John
    John, Jun 20, 2006
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Billh
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    791
    Billh
    May 2, 2004
  2. JamesBenson

    Windows Explorer - Internet explorer

    JamesBenson, Jul 29, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    19
    Views:
    882
  3. darkrats

    Removing Ads in Internet Explorer

    darkrats, Dec 10, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    3,866
    Murary Hurps
    Dec 11, 2004
  4. Piet  Slaghekke
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    1,105
    John Holmes
    Jan 2, 2007
  5. nospam

    Removing Internet Explorer 8 beta2

    nospam, Sep 4, 2008, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    404
    Florian Zimmermann
    Sep 6, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page