    My hard drive has a great many duplicate files on it and this is no doubt
    responsible for a lot of wasted space.

    Your input would be appreciated. Thank you.

    RBF, Jun 2, 2004

  2. RBF

    °Mike° Guest

    First rule of removing duplicate files:
    DON'T.

    First rule of using duplicate file finders:
    DON'T TRUST THEM.

    On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 21:26:00 GMT, in
    <IBrvc.648143$oR5.38136@pd7tw3no>
    RBF scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jun 2, 2004

  3. RBF

    Kenny Guest

    I use System Mechanic for this and it has many options of file types to look
    for, types to exclude etc. It also carries warnings and will mark system
    essential duplicates. Here is an excerpt from SM Help files. Simple answer
    is if you're unsure don't.

    "Warning: Not all of the files that are found are candidates for removal. Be
    sure to carefully scrutinize each set of duplicate files before making the
    decision to remove any of them. It is always recommended that you have a
    current backup of your system before performing any intensive operations
    using the Duplicate Files tool.

    When duplicate-candidate files have been found, the file inspection and
    removal toolbar will appear above the area which lists the found files. This
    toolbar has a number of functions that enable to you flexibly manipulate the
    displayed files. The toolbar buttons and their functions are described
    below:

    Remove
    Removing selected files

    Note: Files marked that could be critical to your system are flagged by a
    dialog box that appears during the removal process. Only remove these files
    after a careful and thorough inspection.

    To select a single file for removal:

    1. Select the file in the file list.
    2. Select the button labeled Remove.

    If after removal there is only one file left in the duplicate group, the
    corresponding group will be removed from view, leaving one existing master
    file on your system.

    QuickView

    Select the button labeled QuickView to view the contents of a selected file
    using the Windows application "QuickView", which is installed by default
    under some versions of Windows.

    Note: The QuickView option will not be visible on versions of Windows that
    do not have QuickView installed.

    If you do not have this application installed you can do so in the Windows
    Control Panel by opening the option labeled Add/Remove Programs and
    selecting the "Accessories" category on the Windows Setup tab.

    To use this option:

    1. Select a file in the file list.
    2. Select the button labeled QuickView.

    Properties

    Select the button labeled Properties to access the Windows standard
    properties dialog for a selected file.

    To use this option:

    1. Select a file in the file list.
    2. Select the button labeled Properties.

    Note: Double clicking on a selected file produces the same results.

    Exclude Folder

    Select the button labeled Exclude Folder to automatically add a selected
    file's folder location to your list of excluded folder locations (see
    Excluding Folders for more details).

    Return to Duplicate File Help Topics

    Return to System Mechanic Help Topics "

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Jun 2, 2004
  4. RBF wrote:

    > Over the years there have been several programs that will find duplicate
    > files. All mention the danger of deleting the wrong copies. However, I
    > have never seen any information on how to determine which copy to keep.
    >
    > That is my question: How do I determine which file to keep? Is there a

    way
    > to do this or does this process rely strickly on experience and trial and
    > error? I am not qualified to use a trial and error process of

    elimination.

    > My hard drive has a great many duplicate files on it and this is no doubt
    > responsible for a lot of wasted space.
    >
    > Your input would be appreciated. Thank you.

    When I first installed EasyCleaner, it found a WHOLE bunch of duplicate
    files and I thought darn, let's get rid of those space wasting demons. So,
    I deleted all of them. . .big, big, big, mistake. I had to do a systems
    restore and it took me days to get back up to speed.

    --
    Martin
    "Photographs From the Universe of Amateur Astronomy"

    Martin R. Howell, Jun 2, 2004
  5. RBF

    Scottie Guest

    Martin, I had a look at your link showing amateur astronomers photographs.
    While looking at the wonderful shot of the moon, I was amazed at the clarity
    and detail of this shot. It made me wonder, if you used the most powerful
    telescope available, how small an object could be identified from earth? I
    know this question is nothing to do with this thread but I just had to ask
    you. Hope you don't mind?
    -------

    Scottie, Jun 3, 2004
  6. RBF

    RBF Guest

    Thank you all for your help.

    RBF, Jun 3, 2004
  7. Scottie wrote:

    > Martin, I had a look at your link showing amateur astronomers photographs.
    > While looking at the wonderful shot of the moon, I was amazed at the

    clarity
    > and detail of this shot. It made me wonder, if you used the most powerful
    > telescope available, how small an object could be identified from earth? I
    > know this question is nothing to do with this thread but I just had to ask
    > you. Hope you don't mind?

    The maximum usable power for a telescope based on Earth is limited by a
    number of factors, the most significant of which is our dirty and unstable
    atmosphere. Therefore, no matter how large the telescope is, occasions when
    magnifications over 500x can be beneficially employed are rare. Even then,
    perhaps 700x to 800x is the maximum which can be used without "seeing
    conditions," no matter how good, getting in the way.

    A scope's resolution is another significant factor and this is directly
    proportional to the diameter of the primary lens or mirror. My main
    telescope has a 12.5 inch diameter primary mirror and with it, under good
    conditions and at a power of 400x or so, lunar objects of a thousand feet
    across are visible although things this small don't show much detail. They
    just *show* ;o)

    It is not possible to see debris or flags or other remnants left on the moon
    by the missions of last century through any telescope based on earth -- no
    matter how large the scope may be.

    Martin R. Howell, Jun 4, 2004
  8. RBF

    jean3167

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2009
    Messages:
    3
    Delete duplicate files

    I think i understand your problem,low disk space may cause even when your drives have many duplicates and deleting duplicate may result you to recover vasted disk space, when i was scanning my system to delete duplicate files, i use duplicate finder 2009 and i think it may solve your problem, it has a great features like instant preview that allow you to select the file before deleting them or move.

    Find Here : www(.)duplicate-finder-pro(.)com/delete-duplicate-files(.)htm

    jean3167, Sep 25, 2009
  9. RBF

    Jade141

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2010
    Messages:
    2
    Try a tool to remove duplicate files from the drive, i use duplicate finder from Ashisoft.

    Jade141, Mar 23, 2010
  10. RBF

    just4work1974

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2010
    Messages:
    3
    This software worked for me - dublicatefilesdeleter.com

    just4work1974, Nov 29, 2010
  11. RBF

    BrianAlvey

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    BrianAlvey, Jan 9, 2012
  12. RBF

    abcd.123

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2012
    Messages:
    2
    If you are looking for the solution to the duplicate files or image. You can use following utility (http://www.duplicatefilesdeleter.com/). its a good solution to the duplicate files.

    abcd.123, Jan 23, 2012
  13. RBF

    lannykint

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    Duplicate Files Deleter

    Duplicate Files Deleter is a simple, but effective tool to locate duplicate files in one or more selected search paths. It scans the files and compares them based on Byte for Byte Comparison, which ensures 100% accuracy. You can then choose to delete the selected duplicate or original files. The program is multi-threaded and performs scans quickly.

    lannykint, Sep 9, 2013