Removing dual boot and XpPro on second drive -saga ends

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by RoseW, Dec 11, 2009.

  1. RoseW

    RoseW Guest

    I posted earlier asking about what might happen removing Xp and the dual
    boot screen.
    I didn't print that info out and take it with me to the repair shop. A
    'shoulda done' situation <grin>
    I did verbalize the commands for editing that were listed in the replies
    to my query to the computer person.
    BUT that wasn't info that he had in his list of things to do....nothing
    he did worked which included going through the repair dialog choices.
    He had a utility that allowed him to look at the Xp directory and there
    was a Boot listing there. In the disk management the Win7 drive was
    listed as the boot drive.
    Before I realized fully what he was doing the Xp drive was reformatted
    and now the system really wouldn't boot. THAT was exactly the info
    relayed here and I was speechless.
    BUT
    I had made an image using the Windows utility and it was stored on an
    external drive. It included both Win7 and the Xp drive.That image would
    not copy completely. It went through all the motions and then produced a
    pop up box that it was not completed successfully.
    SO....4 hours later it was a complete reinstall which copied the
    original Win7 to be the old-win copy.
    The computer and user name was typed in differently and whether that has
    anything to do with or not but I had to take ownership of all files and
    folders in the separate data drive. Only folders of images would allow
    me access. The homegroup had to be set up again between 2 Win7 computers
    and this main machine will not hold the homegroup settings.

    One factor that has the software reinstall be less painless is being
    able to copy the related folders from the Appdata in the old copy and
    insert into the operating Win7. The software installed included e-mail
    with all configurations present and operating.

    He didn't charge me for this adventure but I concluded I might as well
    have had more courage and fumbled through it myself. I regret doing the
    dual boot set-up. Its a cleaner install without an additional operating
    system and there is access to any files from the old copy.

    Bottom line its crucial to know exactly what you are doing setting up a
    dual boot structure with Win7.....and remember that restore points are
    lost in Win.

    Rose

    RoseW, Dec 11, 2009

  2. RoseW

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Rose:
    I'm glad to hear that you finally got the system up and running
    after this induced condition caused by a technician (?) that you paid. If
    you get into a situation that you need to dual boot with an older operating
    system, the easiest way is to backup all data or make an image of the
    current operating system then verify that they are installed in order of age
    (that eliminates losing the ability to boot the operating systems). Losing
    the restore points can be eliminated following the following support article
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926185. Using VistaBootPro or EasyBCD can
    assist in naming each operating system on the dual/multiple boot screen.
    Have a great day.

    --
    Dennis Pack
    Win-7 Enterprise x64, Win-7 Professional x64.

    __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4677 (20091210) __________

    http://www.eset.com

    Dennis Pack, Dec 11, 2009

  3. RoseW

    RoseW Guest

    On 12/11/2009 12:01 AM, Dennis Pack wrote:
    > Rose:
    > I'm glad to hear that you finally got the system up and running after
    > this induced condition caused by a technician (?) that you paid. If you
    > get into a situation that you need to dual boot with an older operating
    > system, the easiest way is to backup all data or make an image of the
    > current operating system then verify that they are installed in order of
    > age (that eliminates losing the ability to boot the operating systems).
    > Losing the restore points can be eliminated following the following
    > support article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926185. Using
    > VistaBootPro or EasyBCD can assist in naming each operating system on
    > the dual/multiple boot screen. Have a great day.

    No he didn't charge...even though me and the machine were there for 4
    hours. He's a sensible guy in a small town environment even if he is the
    only guy in town <grin>

    When I used the Windows 7 imaging facility there was no opportunity to
    just choose Win 7. Both xp and win7 were checked and grayed out. What I
    learned from my first imaging situation is that one never knows if the
    imaged copy is useable.....until its put to use.

    I might have been one of his first Windows 7 installs. Since then he is
    advising people to just go with the routine of having the old system
    copied.

    Its a major snow storm here for the past 24 hours so not much else to do
    but redo the set up <grin>

    Rose

    RoseW, Dec 11, 2009