    Gordon Guest

    Anyone know how to do this? I'm looking to replace the CDRW drive in it with
    a spare DVDRW drive I extracted from my dead PC...

    Gordon, Apr 7, 2010

  2. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    "Meat Plow" wrote in message news:...
    > On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 12:28:22 +0100, "Gordon"
    > <>wrote:
    >
    >>Anyone know how to do this? I'm looking to replace the CDRW drive in it
    >>with
    >>a spare DVDRW drive I extracted from my dead PC...

    > Looks like it comes out the back.

    Doesn't seem to on mine - the case is made up of two halves split
    horizontally - the bottom being opaque colourless with 8 slots in the
    bottom, four along each long edge and the top being a dark plastic with no
    visible means of removal.

    Pictures here:
    http://cid-e60ce3038809e993.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Freecom CDRW Drive

    Gordon, Apr 7, 2010

  3. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    "Meat Plow" wrote in message news:...
    > On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 13:27:47 +0100, "Gordon"
    > <>wrote:
    >

    >>"Meat Plow" wrote in message news:...

    >>> Looks like it comes out the back.

    >>Doesn't seem to on mine - the case is made up of two halves split
    >>horizontally - the bottom being opaque colourless with 8 slots in the
    >>bottom, four along each long edge and the top being a dark plastic with no
    >>visible means of removal.
    >>
    >>Pictures here:
    >>http://cid-e60ce3038809e993.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Freecom CDRW Drive
    >>

    > Those rectangle "holes" in the bottom look like latches to me. You
    > undo them by sticking a small flat blade screwdriver inside and either
    > push to the side or pry apart the latch on each one while
    > silmultaniously trying to pull the halves apart so the latches don't
    > and see if that's what it appears to look like to you.

    I did wonder about those. They are very deep. I applied the reamer from a
    Swiss Army Knife and after some fiddling got the case apart.
    I've swapped the CDRW drive out for my DVDRW drive, and all seems to be now
    working again, except I can't get the case to clip together!
    I've had to resort to duct tape.....but at least I have a working DVDRW
    drive now!

    Thanks for the help.

    Gordon, Apr 7, 2010
  4. Gordon

    VanguardLH Guest

    Gordon wrote:

    > Anyone know how to do this? I'm looking to replace the CDRW drive in it with
    > a spare DVDRW drive I extracted from my dead PC...

    That would depend on the case. Did you look for recessed screws? How about
    removing any stick-on rubber feet to see if they were covering the holes for
    the recessed screws? If the half-shells for the case simply snap together,
    you might be able to use a small flatblade screwdriver to unsnap the tangs
    but you could also break them.

    http://www.freecom.com/upload/DVDRWRecorderLSPro/600x450/index.html

    From the 360-degree view (but which does not show the bottom plate), my
    guess is the screws are on the bottom and might be under any rubber feet.
    Detail in the picture isn't high so there could also be black-painted screws
    on the black backplate.

    VanguardLH, Apr 7, 2010