    compound?
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Dec 10, 2007

  2. (PeteCresswell)

    kaboom Guest

    On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 17:55:18 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)" <>
    wrote:

    >Just got a used DVD (Emerald Forest: thanks Kaboomicus!).

    **You're welcome! I remember that movie, but I haven't seen it for a
    couple of decades. :) I liked it.

    >But this begs a question:
    >Is there a commonly-accepted-as-safe-and-effective way to work
    >scratches/blemishes/stains that don't respond to water and/or
    >glass cleaner and elbow grease out of a DVD's surface?
    >
    >Some sort of mild abrasive like Bon Ami? Fine polishing
    >compound?

    **I recall the suggestion of toothpaste, believe it or not.

    kaboomie

    kaboom, Dec 10, 2007

  3. (PeteCresswell)

    Phisherman Guest

    wrote:

    >Just got a used DVD (Emerald Forest: thanks Kaboomicus!).
    >
    >Played A-OK, but couldn't be copied - "CRC Check".
    >
    >Didn't look all that wonderful under there, so I spritzed it with
    >eyeglass cleaner and scrubbed it with a reasonably-high-end paper
    >towel a few times.
    >
    >Still doesn't look 100%, but seems to have gotten around the CRC
    >check.
    >

    >But this begs a question:
    >Is there a commonly-accepted-as-safe-and-effective way to work
    >scratches/blemishes/stains that don't respond to water and/or
    >glass cleaner and elbow grease out of a DVD's surface?
    >
    >Some sort of mild abrasive like Bon Ami? Fine polishing
    >compound?

    Good results using Brasso. Most of the time buffing with a cotton
    towel works well unless the disc was used like a frisbee.

    Phisherman, Dec 11, 2007
  4. (PeteCresswell)

    Wally Guest

    On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 01:57:45 GMT, Phisherman <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 17:55:18 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Just got a used DVD (Emerald Forest: thanks Kaboomicus!).
    >>
    >>Played A-OK, but couldn't be copied - "CRC Check".
    >>
    >>Didn't look all that wonderful under there, so I spritzed it with
    >>eyeglass cleaner and scrubbed it with a reasonably-high-end paper
    >>towel a few times.
    >>
    >>Still doesn't look 100%, but seems to have gotten around the CRC
    >>check.
    >>

    >>But this begs a question:
    >>Is there a commonly-accepted-as-safe-and-effective way to work
    >>scratches/blemishes/stains that don't respond to water and/or
    >>glass cleaner and elbow grease out of a DVD's surface?
    >>
    >>Some sort of mild abrasive like Bon Ami? Fine polishing
    >>compound?

    >Good results using Brasso. Most of the time buffing with a cotton
    >towel works well unless the disc was used like a frisbee.

    I always use rubbing alcohol and a soft cloth and that seems to clean
    smudges, etc.

    Wally, Dec 14, 2007