    Thanks,

    Dave C.
    , May 26, 2012

  2. Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > When I start Google browser, Babylon also comes up with it as a tab
    > behind Google's tab. Doing a C:\ drive search shows it is in a
    > Program Files folder but it does not show up in that folder. My setup
    > (Control Panel) is set up to show hidden files and folders.
    >
    > The suggestions that came up on a Google search do not work. I also
    > ran MalwareBytes, SuperSpyware, and Spybot with no results. Spybot
    > showed it as Adware and removed it but to no avail.. I suspect it is
    > somewhere in my registry.
    >
    > I am running XP, SP3, with a Dell P4.
    >
    > So far, it is a bother and shouldn't be there.
    >
    > Any information would be helpful.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dave C.

    You might try re-installing it, so that if there is a way to uninstall
    it, you get it in one shot. It's possible you've removed parts of it,
    like it's uninstaller, and left other bits behind.

    No uninstallers really do a good job of cleaning out the rubbish
    they put in the registry. Most of the time, that doesn't hurt anything,
    because the settings are "preferences".

    But in your case, you'd be interested in the Registry, if for example,
    there was a Run key of some sort, calling up something to be launched
    when the system boots. That's the kind of Registry entry you do care
    about. Or, things like a "service" the program installed.

    You could try looking for suspicious entries with Autoruns, but only
    if you want to continue on your "Whack a Mole" type mission. It uses
    tick boxes, to control the startup of all sorts of things. You would
    untick a suspicious box, then reboot, and see if the pest is gone.
    The reboot, is to see if the startup step no longer occurs.

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902

    If the malware tools aren't hammering it, it could be that the
    developers of the malware tools, think the uninstaller provided with
    the Babylon crap, actually works. If it did, you could reinstall it,
    then uninstall it. The Program Folder for it, could have an "uninstall"
    type routine in it, which is what would normally run if you go to
    Add/Remove.

    You get some idea the thing doesn't clean up well after itself, by
    viewing the instructions on the Babylon site. Notice that they expect
    you to clean each browser manually, which isn't very good.

    http://support.babylon.com/index.ph...3/0/remove-toolbar-and-search-the-web-babylon

    I've seen *plenty* of these crapware extravaganzas, where they have
    a "support" page, and they pretend the uninstaller really works. When
    every user infected with the stuff, knows otherwise. I'm not claiming
    Babylon is removable - my only reason for including their support
    page, is to show even they don't think the uninstaller cleans the
    browsers. The uninstaller may delete the contents of the program
    folder, but there is no reason to expect either the Registry or
    the individual browser add-ons, to get cleaned.

    Good luck,
    Paul
    Paul, May 26, 2012

  3. Loony Guest

    On 26/05/2012 20:26, Paul wrote:
> [...]

    > Add/Remove.
    >
    > You get some idea the thing doesn't clean up well after itself, by
    > viewing the instructions on the Babylon site. Notice that they expect
    > you to clean each browser manually, which isn't very good.
    >
    > http://support.babylon.com/index.ph...3/0/remove-toolbar-and-search-the-web-babylon
    >

    > I've seen *plenty* of these crapware extravaganzas, where they have
    > a "support" page, and they pretend the uninstaller really works. When
    > every user infected with the stuff, knows otherwise. I'm not claiming
    > Babylon is removable - my only reason for including their support
    > page, is to show even they don't think the uninstaller cleans the
    > browsers. The uninstaller may delete the contents of the program
    > folder, but there is no reason to expect either the Registry or
    > the individual browser add-ons, to get cleaned.

    Hello again Paul.

    You are always around to help :)

    I have a problem with Ask. It has taken over Explorer 9.0.6.

    How to dump it?

    Thanks and have a great weekend :)
    Loony, May 27, 2012
  4. Paul Guest

    Loony wrote:

    > Hello again Paul.
    >
    > You are always around to help :)
    >
    > I have a problem with Ask. It has taken over Explorer 9.0.6.
    >
    > How to dump it?
    >
    > Thanks and have a great weekend :)

    http://about.ask.com/apn/toolbar/docs/default/faq/en/ie/index.html#na4

    "1. Close all open Web browsers
    2. From the "Start" menu in Windows, select "Control Panel"
    3. Select "Add/Remove Programs"
    4. Select the program with the Ask logo and the text "Ask Toolbar"
    (or our partner’s brand for a custom Toolbar)
    5. Click "Change/Remove"
    "

    "If you get an error message during the uninstall process or after
    rebooting your system you still see the toolbar, please run this
    application to clean up the toolbar: ToolbarUtilityTool.exe

    http://apnmedia.ask.com/media/toolbar/utilities/ToolbarUtility/ToolbarUtilityTool.exe

    "

    Good luck,
    Paul
    Paul, May 27, 2012
  5. "Loony" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    >> you to clean each browser manually, which isn't very good.
    >>
    >> http://support.babylon.com/index.ph...3/0/remove-toolbar-and-search-the-web-babylon
    >>

    >> I've seen *plenty* of these crapware extravaganzas, where they have
    >> a "support" page, and they pretend the uninstaller really works. When
    >> every user infected with the stuff, knows otherwise. I'm not claiming
    >> Babylon is removable - my only reason for including their support
    >> page, is to show even they don't think the uninstaller cleans the
    >> browsers. The uninstaller may delete the contents of the program
    >> folder, but there is no reason to expect either the Registry or
    >> the individual browser add-ons, to get cleaned.
    >>
    >> Good luck,
    >> Paul

    > Hello again Paul.
    >
    > You are always around to help :)
    >
    > I have a problem with Ask. It has taken over Explorer 9.0.6.

    Both you and the OP need to find the Manage Add-ons option within Internet
    Explorer, then find the offensive add-on and disable it.

    THEN when you are getting various updates for all manner of applications
    (mostly Internet apps), then you have to be sure to pay attention and DO NOT
    accept any changes other than the specific update that is being offered. For
    example, when you get the latest update for iTunes, it frequently asks if
    you want to also get Bonjour and some other stuff, ALWAYS select the No
    Option by selecting Decline or by deselecting the checkbox that comes to you
    pre-checked and is installed when you click Continue.

    Personally, I disable all add-ons all of the time.
    Jeff Strickland, May 27, 2012
  6. Guest

    On May 26, 3:26 pm, Paul <> wrote:
> [...]

    > Add/Remove.
    >
    > You get some idea the thing doesn't clean up well after itself, by
    > viewing the instructions on the Babylon site. Notice that they expect
    > you to clean each browser manually, which isn't very good.
    >
    > http://support.babylon.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/213/...
    >
    > I've seen *plenty* of these crapware extravaganzas, where they have
    > a "support" page, and they pretend the uninstaller really works. When
    > every user infected with the stuff, knows otherwise. I'm not claiming
    > Babylon is removable - my only reason for including their support
    > page, is to show even they don't think the uninstaller cleans the
    > browsers. The uninstaller may delete the contents of the program
    > folder, but there is no reason to expect either the Registry or
    > the individual browser add-ons, to get cleaned.

    Hi Paul,

    I ran Autoruns (awesome) but for some reason there were no occurrences
    of Babylon.

    From Babylon's home page, they describe nicely how to remove it, but
    didn't work.

    I did remove two of the three occurrences in Add/Remove. But the
    third one did not have an Add/Remove button. It was missing.

    What I finally did do is to run RegEdit and look for occurrences of
    Babylon (backed up with Erunt, which I have done from time to time).
    There were 20-30 occurrences present throughout the registry. Well, I
    haven't had the courage to modify the registry before but I do
    understand that if I screw up, I can restore it with Erunt. That's
    what I probably do when I get the courage (soon). When I do, I'll
    just delete all the occurrences with the word "Babylon" and see if
    that cures it.

    Thanks for your help.

    Best regards,

    Dave
    , May 28, 2012
  7. Paul Guest

    wrote:
> [...]

    > Hi Paul,
    >
    > I ran Autoruns (awesome) but for some reason there were no occurrences
    > of Babylon.
    >
    > From Babylon's home page, they describe nicely how to remove it, but
    > didn't work.
    >
    > I did remove two of the three occurrences in Add/Remove. But the
    > third one did not have an Add/Remove button. It was missing.
    >
    > What I finally did do is to run RegEdit and look for occurrences of
    > Babylon (backed up with Erunt, which I have done from time to time).
    > There were 20-30 occurrences present throughout the registry. Well, I
    > haven't had the courage to modify the registry before but I do
    > understand that if I screw up, I can restore it with Erunt. That's
    > what I probably do when I get the courage (soon). When I do, I'll
    > just delete all the occurrences with the word "Babylon" and see if

    As an amateur, if I was working on it, yes, I'd look for Babylon in
    the Registry, but I'd be concentrating on entries that cause
    code to be "launched". I think an example of that, is a Run key.

    Many of the other settings, will be program preferences. Which only
    affect something, if the Babylon code is running and it needs some
    setting used in the last session.

    Autoruns is supposed to help with some of that. But there are also
    "Services" which can be used by malware. And just for kicks, even
    Google has used deceptions like that. Like having something
    running in a Svchost, so a user can't see it in Task Manager and
    kill it. So even Google has stooped to such tactics.

    The other aspect of the problem, is browser plug-ins, or in the
    case of Internet Explorer, the ActiveX plugins. For those, you
    go to each browser, and work on the problem. And that Babylon
    support web page, hints at how you go about that.

    Obviously, there are tons of other ways to launch code. Things like
    rootkits, it may not even be apparent that such code is present, but
    it can be hidden from view (system modified in such a way, that you
    can't see it). The assumption with Babylon or Ask Toolbar, is that
    they haven't gone overboard, and done things that are harder to fix
    by hand. Just the "usual ways" of auto-starting themselves.

    Paul
    Paul, May 28, 2012
  8. Loony Guest

    On 27/05/2012 18:14, Paul wrote:
    > Loony wrote:
    >

    >> Hello again Paul.
    >>
    >> You are always around to help :)
    >>
    >> I have a problem with Ask. It has taken over Explorer 9.0.6.
    >>
    >> How to dump it?
    >>
    >> Thanks and have a great weekend :)

    > http://about.ask.com/apn/toolbar/docs/default/faq/en/ie/index.html#na4
    >
    > "1. Close all open Web browsers
    > 2. From the "Start" menu in Windows, select "Control Panel"
    > 3. Select "Add/Remove Programs"
    > 4. Select the program with the Ask logo and the text "Ask Toolbar"
    > (or our partner’s brand for a custom Toolbar)
    > 5. Click "Change/Remove"
    > "
    >
    > "If you get an error message during the uninstall process or after
    > rebooting your system you still see the toolbar, please run this
    > application to clean up the toolbar: ToolbarUtilityTool.exe
    >
    > http://apnmedia.ask.com/media/toolbar/utilities/ToolbarUtility/ToolbarUtilityTool.exe
    >

    > "
    >
    > Good luck,
    > Paul

    Thank you Paul.
    Great job.
    No more Ask-ing on my computer. :)
    Loony, May 29, 2012
  9. Guest

    > Obviously, there are tons of other ways to launch code. Things like
    > rootkits, it may not even be apparent that such code is present, but
    > it can be hidden from view (system modified in such a way, that you
    > can't see it). The assumption with Babylon or Ask Toolbar, is that
    > they haven't gone overboard, and done things that are harder to fix
    > by hand. Just the "usual ways" of auto-starting themselves.
    >
    >     Paul

    Just by way of an update, I removed all occurrences of Babylon from
    the registry (after backing it up) to no avail. The issue is that
    when I call up google.com, a Babylon Search engine tab comes up as a
    second tab behind the Google tab. (Running XP. SP3). So, it is
    coming from somewhere beyond my ability to find it. It is only a
    bothersome nuisance and no more than that. The Babylon tool bar is
    not present.

    Regards,

    Dave
    , Jun 5, 2012
  10. Paul Guest

    wrote:
    >> Obviously, there are tons of other ways to launch code. Things like
    >> rootkits, it may not even be apparent that such code is present, but
    >> it can be hidden from view (system modified in such a way, that you
    >> can't see it). The assumption with Babylon or Ask Toolbar, is that
    >> they haven't gone overboard, and done things that are harder to fix
    >> by hand. Just the "usual ways" of auto-starting themselves.
    >>
    >> Paul

    > Just by way of an update, I removed all occurrences of Babylon from
    > the registry (after backing it up) to no avail. The issue is that
    > when I call up google.com, a Babylon Search engine tab comes up as a
    > second tab behind the Google tab. (Running XP. SP3). So, it is
    > coming from somewhere beyond my ability to find it. It is only a
    > bothersome nuisance and no more than that. The Babylon tool bar is
    > not present.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Dave

    Have you looked through the browser add-ons ?

    A browser may also support a "Safe Mode" start, which is
    supposed to avoid add-on material. If the Safe Mode no longer
    exhibits the behavior, then that gives you a hint where it's
    hiding. (I.e. Read up on what a Safe Mode of operation, will not run.)

    Paul
    Paul, Jun 6, 2012
  11. Guest

    > Have you looked through the browser add-ons ?
    >
    > A browser may also support a "Safe Mode" start, which is
    > supposed to avoid add-on material. If the Safe Mode no longer
    > exhibits the behavior, then that gives you a hint where it's
    > hiding. (I.e. Read up on what a Safe Mode of operation, will not run.)
    >
    >     Paul

    Final update: I stumbled on what caused it.

    During the installation of MediaLitePlayer (to play MP4 video's), I
    unchecked all boxes and left one checked inadvertently. (Previous
    poster comment on this.) Well, it installed Babylon as my second or
    dual home page.

    This was revealed when I just happened to check from the Google search
    page Tools>Settings, and when viewing "On Startup," there was Babylon
    as well as Google.com as home pages. I deleted Babylon which solved
    the issue. It is my guess that when I run Google, Babylon loaded from
    the internet, not my hard drive.

    I think I will leave the registry entries of Babylon alone as it does
    not seem to affect anything.

    Thanks for listening to me on this and for ideas that may have helped
    me to dig in to the issue.

    Thank you Paul (and others).

    Regards,

    Dave
    , Jun 11, 2012
  12. CTSwest Guest

    在 2012å¹´5月28日星期一UTC+12下åˆ12æ—¶26分44秒,(未知)写é“:
> [...]

    > Hi Paul,
    >
    > I ran Autoruns (awesome) but for some reason there were no occurrences
    > of Babylon.
    >
    > From Babylon's home page, they describe nicely how to remove it, but
    > didn't work.
    >
    > I did remove two of the three occurrences in Add/Remove. But the
    > third one did not have an Add/Remove button. It was missing.
    >
    > What I finally did do is to run RegEdit and look for occurrences of
    > Babylon (backed up with Erunt, which I have done from time to time).
    > There were 20-30 occurrences present throughout the registry. Well, I
    > haven't had the courage to modify the registry before but I do
    > understand that if I screw up, I can restore it with Erunt. That's
    > what I probably do when I get the courage (soon). When I do, I'll
    > just delete all the occurrences with the word "Babylon" and see if

    Sometimes the Babylon Toolbar has been installed by malware and doesn't show the same name. You could go to Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programmes andremove /uninstall all the toolbars that you are not using or you are not recognized.

    Regards,
    Ivan
    CTSwest, Jul 1, 2012