    Does anyone know of a similar, but spyware free, program that can strip ads
    from webpages? I'd like to find one that will work on Hotmail pages. So far,
    haven't found one.

    darkrats, Dec 10, 2004

  2. darkrats

    zaax Guest

    In article <4vkud.477031$%k.418042@pd7tw2no>, darkrats
    <> writes
    >I recently tested "Ad Muncher", a small program that removes ads from
    >webpages. It works great, rendering pages like Hotmail, clean and ad free.
    >It's shareware with a 30 day limit.
    >
    >According to information from it's maker, Ad Muncher validates the
    >registration over the net, but does not send additional information to any
    >server. They claim that any server access requests take place internally on
    >the users computer. Unfortunately, that's not true at all. During use, there
    >are constant data exchanges with the server at 61.62.193.156, sometimes as
    >often as 5 times a minute. I would have to say that this program is
    >definitely SPYWARE and should be avoided.
    >
    >Does anyone know of a similar, but spyware free, program that can strip ads
    >from webpages? I'd like to find one that will work on Hotmail pages. So far,
    >haven't found one.

    Advant Browser

    --
    Zaax
    http://www.ukgatsos.com

    zaax, Dec 10, 2004

  3. darkrats

    Richard Guest

    darkrats wrote:

    > I recently tested "Ad Muncher", a small program that removes ads from
    > webpages. It works great, rendering pages like Hotmail, clean and ad
    > free. It's shareware with a 30 day limit.

    > According to information from it's maker, Ad Muncher validates the
    > registration over the net, but does not send additional information to
    > any server. They claim that any server access requests take place
    > internally on the users computer. Unfortunately, that's not true at all.
    > During use, there are constant data exchanges with the server at
    > 61.62.193.156, sometimes as often as 5 times a minute. I would have to
    > say that this program is definitely SPYWARE and should be avoided.

    > Does anyone know of a similar, but spyware free, program that can strip
    > ads from webpages? I'd like to find one that will work on Hotmail pages.
    > So far, haven't found one.

    Get the "crazy browser" plug in. It's free.

    http://www.crazybrowser.com/index.htm

    99.9% popup free.

    Richard, Dec 10, 2004
  4. darkrats

    CoCo Guest

    darkrats wrote:
    > I recently tested "Ad Muncher", a small program that removes ads from
    > webpages. It works great, rendering pages like Hotmail, clean and ad free.
    > It's shareware with a 30 day limit.
    >
    > According to information from it's maker, Ad Muncher validates the
    > registration over the net, but does not send additional information to any
    > server. They claim that any server access requests take place internally on
    > the users computer. Unfortunately, that's not true at all. During use, there
    > are constant data exchanges with the server at 61.62.193.156, sometimes as
    > often as 5 times a minute. I would have to say that this program is
    > definitely SPYWARE and should be avoided.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a similar, but spyware free, program that can strip ads
    > from webpages? I'd like to find one that will work on Hotmail pages. So far,
    > haven't found one.

    hi

    adextenguisher service for windows (freeware)
    http://www.bhatt.id.au/adext/

    works great with any browser and removes "anything"...

    coco

    CoCo, Dec 10, 2004
  5. darkrats

    darkrats Guest

    Thanks for suggestions
    ..

    I'm not looking for a replacement browser, or a popup stopper; but one that
    removes ads from webpages completely.

    Adextinguisher comes close, but replaces ads with transparent spaces.
    Admuncher removes the ads and resizes the webpage to remove the spaces.

    darkrats, Dec 10, 2004
  6. darkrats

    Fuzzy Logic Guest

    zaax <> wrote in news::

    > In article <4vkud.477031$%k.418042@pd7tw2no>, darkrats
    ><> writes
    >>I recently tested "Ad Muncher", a small program that removes ads from
    >>webpages. It works great, rendering pages like Hotmail, clean and ad
    >>free. It's shareware with a 30 day limit.
    >>
    >>According to information from it's maker, Ad Muncher validates the
    >>registration over the net, but does not send additional information to
    >>any server. They claim that any server access requests take place
    >>internally on the users computer. Unfortunately, that's not true at all.
    >>During use, there are constant data exchanges with the server at
    >>61.62.193.156, sometimes as often as 5 times a minute. I would have to
    >>say that this program is definitely SPYWARE and should be avoided.
    >>
    >>Does anyone know of a similar, but spyware free, program that can strip
    >>ads from webpages? I'd like to find one that will work on Hotmail pages.
    >>So far, haven't found one.
    >>

    > Advant Browser

    I think you mean Avant Browser. This is what I use and it's IE on steroids.
    Includes ad blocker, flash blocker, pop-up blocker, tabbed browsing and
    more:

    <www.avantbrowser.com>

    Fuzzy Logic, Dec 10, 2004
  7. darkrats

    Jock Strap Guest

    darkrats wrote:

    > Does anyone know of a similar, but spyware free, program that can
    > strip ads from webpages? I'd like to find one that will work on
    > Hotmail pages. So far, haven't found one.

    Use Firefox as your browser with the AdBlock extension. Both are
    100% free and both can be found with Google. And they both work
    with Hotmail.

    Jock Strap, Dec 10, 2004
  8. darkrats

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "darkrats" <> wrote in message
    |I recently tested "Ad Muncher", a small program that removes ads from
    | webpages. It works great, rendering pages like Hotmail, clean and ad free.
    | It's shareware with a 30 day limit.
    |
    | According to information from it's maker, Ad Muncher validates the
    | registration over the net, but does not send additional information to any
    | server. They claim that any server access requests take place internally
    on
    | the users computer. Unfortunately, that's not true at all. During use,
    there
    | are constant data exchanges with the server at 61.62.193.156, sometimes as
    | often as 5 times a minute. I would have to say that this program is
    | definitely SPYWARE and should be avoided.
    |
    | Does anyone know of a similar, but spyware free, program that can strip
    | from webpages? I'd like to find one that will work on Hotmail pages. So
    far,
    | haven't found one.

    This will help, it's totally free, uses absolutely no system resoureces, and
    is excellent protection for your computer, although it won't get rid of all

    http://www.everythingisnt.com/hosts.html
    Be sure to sign up for the update notices - this guy is honest and doesn't
    send out any spam.

    Toolman Tim, Dec 11, 2004
  9. darkrats

    darkrats Guest

    Thanks again for the suggestion.
    This one removes the ads in hotmail but the blank sections now have "page
    cannot be displayed etc.".

    darkrats, Dec 11, 2004
  10. darkrats

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Yeah - because there's nothing to display there. Those ads were links to
    HTML content provided by the advertising company's website. So when the
    website is called, it's redirected to your local PC (which obviously doesn't
    have the ad it's looking for). If you want to un-install it, you can remove
    the hosts file entries (all except 127.0.0.1 localhost) and things will go
    back to the way they were.

    "darkrats" <> wrote in message
    | Thanks again for the suggestion.
    | This one removes the ads in hotmail but the blank sections now have "page
    | cannot be displayed etc.".
    |

    | "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    | >
    | > "darkrats" <> wrote in message
    | > |I recently tested "Ad Muncher", a small program that removes ads from
    | > | webpages. It works great, rendering pages like Hotmail, clean and ad
    | > free.
    | > | It's shareware with a 30 day limit.
    | > |
    | > | According to information from it's maker, Ad Muncher validates the
    | > | registration over the net, but does not send additional information to
    | > any
    | > | server. They claim that any server access requests take place
    internally
    | > on
    | > | the users computer. Unfortunately, that's not true at all. During use,
    | > there
    | > | are constant data exchanges with the server at 61.62.193.156,
    sometimes
    | > as
    | > | often as 5 times a minute. I would have to say that this program is
    | > | definitely SPYWARE and should be avoided.
    | > |
    | > | Does anyone know of a similar, but spyware free, program that can
    strip
    | > | from webpages? I'd like to find one that will work on Hotmail pages.
    So
    | > far,
    | > | haven't found one.
    | > |

    Toolman Tim, Dec 11, 2004
  11. darkrats

    Murary Hurps Guest

    I am Murray Hurps, the author of Ad Muncher, and was referred to this
    posting by one of our users.

    Ad Muncher does *not* contain spyware of any kind. The server check
    that you mention does indeed occur, but will definitely not happen
    five times a minute (it should only occur once). The server check will
    also only connect to our website, www.admuncher.com (207.44.251.118)
    (unless a user-defined proxy is specified, in which case it will of
    course connect to the proxy).

    I would direct you to the Ad Muncher FAQ entry on how Ad Muncher
    filters connections:

    "When your browser tries to connect to a web server, it is instead
    connected to the local Ad Muncher program. Ad Muncher then connects
    out to the original target of the browser."

    Hence, if Ad Muncher (admunch.exe) is connecting to a certain address
    other than that of our own website, then it is doing so because a
    program it is filtering is starting the connection. This can be from
    browsers, instant messengers, P2P programs, or (by default) any other
    programs we have configured Ad Muncher to remove adverts from.

    You can limit the programs Ad Muncher filters to only your browser by
    clicking on the "Filter Targets" section of Ad Muncher's configuration
    window.

    I hope the above clears up the origin of this connection for you.
    If there's anything I can clarify or you have any further questions
    please don't hesitate to contact me.

    Yours sincerely,

    Murray Hurps

    Murary Hurps, Dec 11, 2004