    ones I don't want?

    --
    Alasdair.
    Alasdair, Nov 25, 2008

  2. Alasdair

    Alasdair Guest

    On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 07:09:09 -0800, "Mike Easter" <>
    wrote:

    >Alasdair wrote:
    >> When I installed the latest version of Java this morning,

    >Do you mean the java from here?
    >http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp Java Downloads for All
    >Operating Systems
    >
    >If that's not what you mean, you should stipulate exactly what you
    >installed and where you got it.
    >
    >> I noticed
    >> that it also installed some add-ons such as Geode and Yahoo Toolbar.

    >it?
    >
    >Do you mean Geode the firefox3 plugin geolocator tool?
    >
    >http://labs.mozilla.com/2008/10/introducing-geode/ Introducing Geode
    >
    >> How can I find out what these add-ons were and how can I remove the
    >> ones I don't want?

    >Why don't you find out (precisely) what (specific program/installer) you
    >installed from where?

    I haven't a clue where it came from but when I switched on my
    computer, I found a notice saying a Java update was available. I
    clicked on the update notice and it proceeded to install the update.
    It also installed four add-ons including something called Geode which
    is probably the one you mention, the firefox3 plugin geolocator too.
    It also installed Yahoo Toolbar and I want to know how to get rid of
    them.

    The firefox instructions are as follows:

    How do I remove Yahoo! Toolbar for Mozilla Firefox?

    There are two ways to remove the Yahoo! Toolbar for Mozilla Firefox.

    The easiest way is to use the "Uninstall" menu item:

    1. Click the Pencil menu.
    2. Click "Uninstall".
    3. Enter any feedback you'd like to send to Yahoo! about why you're
    uninstalling the toolbar.
    4. Click "Uninstall".
    5. Restart your browser.

    If that doesn't work, you can also use the Extension Manager in
    Firefox to remove the Yahoo! Toolbar extension:

    1. Click the "Tools" menu in the Firefox browser.
    2. Click the "Extensions" menu item.
    3. In the Extensions Manager window scroll until you find the
    Yahoo! Toolbar extension.
    4. Click the Yahoo! Toolbar extension.
    5. Click "Uninstall".
    6. Click "OK" in the "Uninstall Yahoo! Toolbar" window.
    7. Exit Extensions Manager and restart your browser.

    Unfortunately, the Pencil Menu has no "uninstall" in it and the tools
    menu has no "extensions" in it.

    --
    Alasdair.
    Alasdair, Nov 25, 2008

  3. Alasdair

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 14:37:13 +0000, Alasdair <>
    wrote:

    >When I installed the latest version of Java this morning, I noticed
    >that it also installed some add-ons such as Geode and Yahoo Toolbar.
    >How can I find out what these add-ons were and how can I remove the
    >ones I don't want?

    You might also have a look in control panel's "programs and features"
    if using vista. "Add/remove programs" for other versions.
    I have found the various add on toolbars listed here and are easily
    removed.
    richard, Nov 25, 2008
  4. Alasdair

    John Holmes Guest

    Alasdair "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > When I installed the latest version of Java this morning, I noticed
    > that it also installed some add-ons such as Geode and Yahoo Toolbar.
    > How can I find out what these add-ons were and how can I remove the
    > ones I don't want?

    You're a stupid idiot. When you installed that update, you just clicked
    "next" "next" "next" "next" etc, etc, without actually reading *what* you
    were installing.

    The easiest option for you would be to restore your system to a previous
    state, then install the update again, and READ what you're about to
    install on your system.

    HTH

    --
    Your mother was a mildewed con artist who used to do cow impressions on a
    canal boat.
    John Holmes, Nov 25, 2008
  5. Alasdair

    VanguardLH Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > Alasdair wrote:
    >>
    >> Mike Easter wrote:

    >>> Why don't you find out (precisely) what (specific
    >>> program/installer) you installed from where?

    >> I haven't a clue where it came from

    > Good grief!
    >
    >> but when I switched on my computer, I found a notice saying a Java
    >> update was available I clicked on the update notice and it proceeded
    >> to install the update.

    > I recommend against installing things like that -- where 'like that'
    > means that something pops up and tells you to do something and you
    > click on whatever the alert says and you don't know what you are
    > installing or where it comes from or whether it is malware or adware
    > or otherwise compromised.
    >
    > You should have only specific applications allowed to be
    > communicating to 'call home' about your system, and you should know
    > exactly what they are and why you should be so configured to allow
    > that activity.
    >
    > You should not be installing things that install 'other things'
    > unknown to you.

    The JRE includes an applet (that you see in Control Panel). One of the
    config panels in that applet is for update check intervals. I always
    turn off the auto-update of Sun's Java interpreter. One, I don't want
    to waste the memory space to continually run their update checker as a
    background process. Two, I'll update when *I* choose to update, not
    because of an interfering popup from their update checker.

    Also, my recollection of running an "update" is that you simply run
    their full JRE install program. That means the OP would've been
    presented with screens during the install that *asked* if the OP wanted
    to install the Geode and Yahoo Toolbar fluffware. The OP simply went
    clicking through the install without actually looking at what was asked
    of him, so he left that fluffware selected (which is the default
    because Sun gets paid to include those items) so he elected to install
    them. That he doesn't read the install screens is his problem.
    VanguardLH, Nov 25, 2008
  6. John Holmes wrote:
    > Alasdair "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> When I installed the latest version of Java this morning, I noticed
    >> that it also installed some add-ons such as Geode and Yahoo Toolbar.
    >> How can I find out what these add-ons were and how can I remove the
    >> ones I don't want?
    >>

    > You're a stupid idiot. When you installed that update, you just clicked
    > "next" "next" "next" "next" etc, etc, without actually reading *what* you
    > were installing.
    >
    > The easiest option for you would be to restore your system to a previous
    > state, then install the update again, and READ what you're about to
    > install on your system.
    >
    > HTH

    I personally have *never* had any problems removing strap-ons.

    Is the OP a bit too drunk to work the straps?
    §ñühw¤£f, Nov 25, 2008
  7. Alasdair

    John Holmes Guest

    §ñühw¤£f "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > John Holmes wrote:
    >> Alasdair "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>
    >>> When I installed the latest version of Java this morning, I noticed
    >>> that it also installed some add-ons such as Geode and Yahoo Toolbar.
    >>> How can I find out what these add-ons were and how can I remove the
    >>> ones I don't want?
    >>>

    >> You're a stupid idiot. When you installed that update, you just
    >> clicked "next" "next" "next" "next" etc, etc, without actually
    >> reading *what* you were installing.
    >>
    >> The easiest option for you would be to restore your system to a
    >> previous state, then install the update again, and READ what you're
    >> about to install on your system.
    >>
    >> HTH
    >>

    > I personally have *never* had any problems removing strap-ons.

    Do you mean removing them from yourself or from your GF?

    > Is the OP a bit too drunk to work the straps?

    Nah. Evan Platt is the resident drunktard in this froup.

    --
    <snip>
    John Holmes, Nov 25, 2008
  8. Alasdair

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 21:45:56 +0100 (CET), John Holmes
    <> wrote:

    >Alasdair "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> When I installed the latest version of Java this morning, I noticed
    >> that it also installed some add-ons such as Geode and Yahoo Toolbar.
    >> How can I find out what these add-ons were and how can I remove the
    >> ones I don't want?
    >>

    >You're a stupid idiot. When you installed that update, you just clicked
    >"next" "next" "next" "next" etc, etc, without actually reading *what* you
    >were installing.
    >
    >The easiest option for you would be to restore your system to a previous
    >state, then install the update again, and READ what you're about to
    >install on your system.
    >
    >HTH

    Not always true. Visicom media install their toolbar without your
    knowledge or consent. Acer and others give it to you because yahoo
    paid them too.

    I don't want IE on my system at all. Yet I'm told that if I remove it,
    doing so will harm my computer. Bill Gates demanded I have it. Was it
    my choice?
    richard, Nov 26, 2008
  9. Alasdair

    Alasdair Guest

    On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 08:50:08 -0700, "Buffalo" <>
    wrote:

    >Click on Tools, then Add-ons and then Extensions.

    Thank you, Sir. That worked a treat.

    --
    Alasdair.
    Alasdair, Nov 26, 2008
  10. Alasdair

    Buffalo Guest

    Alasdair wrote:
    > On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 08:50:08 -0700, "Buffalo" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Click on Tools, then Add-ons and then Extensions.

    > Thank you, Sir. That worked a treat.

    Your welcome. Happy it worked out for you.
    Buffalo
    Buffalo, Nov 26, 2008
  11. On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 00:14:26 +0100, John Holmes aided th' terraists with
    the following claims :

    > §ñühw¤£f "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> John Holmes wrote:
    >>> Alasdair "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>> You're a stupid idiot. When you installed that update, you just
    >>> clicked "next" "next" "next" "next" etc, etc, without actually
    >>> reading *what* you were installing.
    >>>
    >>> The easiest option for you would be to restore your system to a
    >>> previous state, then install the update again, and READ what you're
    >>> about to install on your system.
    >>>
    >>> HTH
    >>>

    >> I personally have *never* had any problems removing strap-ons.

    > Do you mean removing them from yourself or from your GF?

    Myself...the goat dosent need one...

    >> Is the OP a bit too drunk to work the straps?
    >>

    > Nah. Evan Platt is the resident drunktard in this froup.

    Lets roll him for his pocket change...

    http://www.mykeru.com
    §ñühwØ£f, Nov 26, 2008