    cannot afford to do the upgrade to full win7 and the rc is going to expire
    soon I was wondering, Can I simply delete the partition containing win 7 or
    will it be more involved than that. All help appreciated. Thanks

    Drew, Feb 14, 2010

  2. What is the current layout of your system? Where is Vista 64-bit
    installed and where is Win 7 64-bit installed?

    Bobby Johnson, Feb 14, 2010

  3. Drew

    Drew Guest

    Thanks for responding Bobby.. originally I had one drive (C:)with vista64
    on it. I then shrank that drive using disk management and created a
    partition (J:) I then installed win7 64bit rc on (J:). Any other info
    required?

    Drew, Feb 14, 2010
  4. I would think you could delete the partition without J: affecting your
    Vista installation on partition C:.

    Bobby Johnson, Feb 15, 2010
  5. Drew

    Drew Guest

    Bobby, I don't know whether it makes a difference or not but when I boot the
    computer I am given the choice of course as to which to boot to win 7 first
    or win vista 2nd. Will I have to do something else or when I format "J"( if
    that is possible) will that choice then disappear ?

    Drew, Feb 15, 2010
  6. Drew

    Tom Guest

    Which was installed first, Win 7 or Vista. Usually the older operating
    system is installed first (that in this case being Vista), though it can be
    done the other way as well. One sure fire way to know which one is the drive
    that loads for both systems is the "C:" drive. I know that Win7 actually
    creates its own 100MB partition for loading the OS, which is a pretty cool
    way to take care of the loader.

    Tom, Feb 15, 2010
  7. Drew

    Drew Guest

    Vista installed first but win 7 shows first on boot screen with vista listed
    below it. If I do not specifically choose vista it will auto boot into win7
    after I believe 20 seconds.

    Drew, Feb 15, 2010
  8. The Windows 7 RC partition can be deleted.

    The boot options will still be displayed with a default timeout of 30
    seconds.

    The easiest way to remove the boot option choice is to install EasyBCD
    http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1 and use that to edit the boot options.

    Dominic Payer, Feb 15, 2010
  9. Drew

    Tom Guest

    Answered by Dominic and he is correct.

    Tom, Feb 15, 2010
  10. Drew

    Drew Guest

    Thanks Dominic! I appreciate the help

    Drew, Feb 16, 2010
  11. Drew

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Drew.

    Sorry I'm late to the party. I was away for a week at the MVP Global Summit
    and I'm still catching up.

    You may, of course, use Disk Management to delete the Win7 partition, as the
    others have explained. And, if you like, extend Drive C: to include the
    resulting Free Space. Then you can edit the BCD to remove the unneeded menu
    item.

    But all you really need to do to delete Win7 is to boot into Vista and
    delete Win7's Boot Folder. As you've described your system, that is
    J:\Windows.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA