Remove XP Pro 32 bit from a dualboot installation with X64?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?UGFzY2Fs?=, Nov 27, 2005.

  1. Xp Pro 32 bit and X64 are each installed on seperate hard drives.

    Boot ini located on the drive where the XP 32 bit is installed reads as
    follows:

    [boot loader]
    timeout=5
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional x64
    Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

    Boot ini located on the drive where the X64 is installed reads as follows:

    Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

    I wish to delete and reformat the drive where XP pro 32 bit is installed
    since I only want to use X64.

    How can I safely remove it without affecting my X64 installation?
    =?Utf-8?B?UGFzY2Fs?=, Nov 27, 2005

  2. It depends a bit on how you first performed the set-up, and a bit on how you
    want the new set-up to appear. Are these installations sitting, each on
    their own Primary Partition - or, do you have 32bit on a C:\ Primary
    Partition and 64bit on D:\ (as an example) on a Extended Partition? The
    latter would adhere to the Windows default way of doing things, the former
    could be easier and safer to deal with. The answer will have impact on your
    options.

    Unfortunately, the only thing I can see from reading those files, is that
    you have both systems on the same physical disk, but then, I am no expert!

    If you have only one (1) Primary Partition you cannot delete it without
    losing the other!!!

    You should, however, be able to reformat, but you might not be able to
    easily reset the drive letters.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Nov 27, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?UGFzY2Fs?=

    John Barnes Guest

    You need to copy your ntldr and ntdetect.com from your xp32 drive to the xp
    64 drive
    Your system drive is the xp pro 32 drive, so first you will have to change
    the boot order so the x64 drive is first in the order.
    You should then boot directly to x64 based on the boot.ini
    Your system will show the incorrect name in the boot.ini but will boot the
    correct system.
    You can change the name if you want by directly opening the boot.ini using
    notepad or go thru system properties/advanced/startup and recovery. Either
    way be careful.
    When you have done all the above and everything is booting properly to x64
    you can just reformat the x32 drive.
    You can always change the boot order back if you make any mistakes prior to
    reformatting.
    Good luck.

    John Barnes, Nov 27, 2005
  4. Yes, good to have someone nearby who can actually remember the particulars.
    But I would have the strangest feeling about having my primary system (the
    only system, even) on an extended partition. Do you suppose it possible,
    after reformating, to copy the system to the primary partition and give it
    another name (label)? And then reformat the extended partition, after a few
    days, when all looks safe and secure? After all, the MBR has not been
    changed in any way, and shouldn't have to be, or?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Nov 27, 2005
  5. Hello Tony, yes my X32 is on my C drive in a primary partition, and my X64 is
    on a completely different hard drive D with it's own primary partition.

    John's instructions seem to make sense to me, and I will try it.

    =?Utf-8?B?UGFzY2Fs?=, Nov 27, 2005
  6. Thank you for the information John,

    I was want to mention however that I do also have a NETDETECT.com file and a
    ntldr file on my D drive(primary prtition) where X64 is located. Thefore are
    you saying that I need to overwrite them by taking the NETDETECT.com file and
    a ntldr file on my C drive X 32 (primary partition) and overwriting the ones
    currently on the D drive X64?

    Thanking you in advance for your feedback

    Pascal

    =?Utf-8?B?UGFzY2Fs?=, Nov 27, 2005
  7. Wise move! And generally, having a Primary Partition for each system makes
    everything so much easier.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Nov 27, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?UGFzY2Fs?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Yes. Since you are able to boot to both systems from your C drive files,
    they are the ones installed by x64 and are the most recent. You could, if
    you are uncomfortable about overwriting them, just make a new folder on your
    D drive and move the two files into it before moving the ones from the C
    drive.

    John Barnes, Nov 28, 2005
  9. Thank you John it worked like a charm! My system is now running only on X64!

    Thank you for your instructions!

    =?Utf-8?B?UGFzY2Fs?=, Nov 28, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?UGFzY2Fs?=

    John Barnes Guest