  1. My new Compaq notebook running XP Home is branded as they all are. Before
    the logon screen a Compaq Splash Screen appears and both Outlook Express and
    Internet Explorer and branded as well. Is there an easy way to remove this?

    E E 'Doc' Smith, Sep 4, 2003

  2. E E 'Doc' Smith

    trout Guest

    E E 'Doc' Smith wrote:

    > My new Compaq notebook running XP Home is branded as they all are.
    > Before the logon screen a Compaq Splash Screen appears and both
    > Outlook Express and Internet Explorer and branded as well. Is there
    > an easy way to remove this?

    As far as IE/OE goes; there're a few ways. You can go into the
    registry yourself, or use a .vbs script (Google for "unbrand").
    There are also a number of free customizing programs. I like IEMate:
    http://www.devicode.com/freeware/iemate.htm
    --
    "Lots o' fun."

    trout, Sep 4, 2003

  3. E E 'Doc' Smith

    rifleman Guest

    In article <bj6th3$g7pnb$-berlin.de>, "E E 'Doc'
    Smith" <nandreck@(nospam)yahoo.co.uk> says...
    > My new Compaq notebook running XP Home is branded as they all are. Before
    > the logon screen a Compaq Splash Screen appears and both Outlook Express and
    > Internet Explorer and branded as well. Is there an easy way to remove this?

    I would be a bit careful - Compaq MIGHT consider that the removal of the
    branding constitutes a breach of warranty. (ie mucking about with the
    OS). I would read the small print VERY carefully before you do this.

    rifleman, Sep 4, 2003
  4. "trout" <> wrote in message
    > E E 'Doc' Smith wrote:
    >
    > > My new Compaq notebook running XP Home is branded as they all are.
    > > Before the logon screen a Compaq Splash Screen appears and both
    > > Outlook Express and Internet Explorer and branded as well. Is there
    > > an easy way to remove this?

    > As far as IE/OE goes; there're a few ways. You can go into the
    > registry yourself, or use a .vbs script (Google for "unbrand").
    > There are also a number of free customizing programs. I like IEMate:
    > http://www.devicode.com/freeware/iemate.htm
    > --
    > "Lots o' fun."

    Thats exactly what I was after - many thanks for your help.

    E E 'Doc' Smith, Sep 4, 2003
  5. E E 'Doc' Smith

    trout Guest

    E E 'Doc' Smith wrote:

    > "trout" <> wrote in message
    >> E E 'Doc' Smith wrote:
    >>
    >>> My new Compaq notebook running XP Home is branded as they all are.
    >>> Before the logon screen a Compaq Splash Screen appears and both
    >>> Outlook Express and Internet Explorer and branded as well. Is there
    >>> an easy way to remove this?

    >> As far as IE/OE goes; there're a few ways. You can go into the
    >> registry yourself, or use a .vbs script (Google for "unbrand").
    >> There are also a number of free customizing programs. I like
    >> IEMate: http://www.devicode.com/freeware/iemate.htm
    >> --
    >> "Lots o' fun."
    >>

    > Thats exactly what I was after - many thanks for your help.

    Glad to help. If you get around to changing the rotating logo,
    there's a pretty slick yin/yang one I like, at:
    http://members.lycos.co.uk/lycosiscrap/
    Click on #6 (misc. files) and get the "Throbbers" .zip.
    --
    "Cool."

    trout, Sep 4, 2003
  6. trout wrote:
    > E E 'Doc' Smith wrote:
    >
    >> "trout" <> wrote in message

    >>> As far as IE/OE goes; there're a few ways. You can go into the
    >>> registry yourself, or use a .vbs script (Google for "unbrand").
    >>> There are also a number of free customizing programs. I like
    >>> IEMate: http://www.devicode.com/freeware/iemate.htm
    >>> --
    >>> "Lots o' fun."
    >>>

    >> Thats exactly what I was after - many thanks for your help.

    > Glad to help. If you get around to changing the rotating logo,
    > there's a pretty slick yin/yang one I like, at:
    > http://members.lycos.co.uk/lycosiscrap/
    > Click on #6 (misc. files) and get the "Throbbers" .zip.

    Shove your ying and yang up your ass, I'm a Christian and we don't believe
    in that sort of bullshit.

    E E 'Doc' Smith, Sep 4, 2003
  7. "E E 'Doc' Smith" <nandreck@(nospam)yahoo.uk.co> wrote in message
    > trout wrote:
    > > E E 'Doc' Smith wrote:
    > >
    > >> "trout" <> wrote in message

    > >> Thats exactly what I was after - many thanks for your help.

    > > Glad to help. If you get around to changing the rotating logo,
    > > there's a pretty slick yin/yang one I like, at:
    > > http://members.lycos.co.uk/lycosiscrap/
    > > Click on #6 (misc. files) and get the "Throbbers" .zip.

    > Shove your ying and yang up your ass, I'm a Christian and we don't believe
    > in that sort of bullshit.

    Well done K-Man - trying to impersonate someone else again!

    E E 'Doc' Smith, Sep 4, 2003
  8. On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 11:15:23 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, my mind boggled
    at the following statement by E E 'Doc' Smith in message

    > "E E 'Doc' Smith" <nandreck@(nospam)yahoo.uk.co> wrote in message

    snip

    >> Shove your ying and yang up your ass, I'm a Christian and we don't believe
    >> in that sort of bullshit.
    >>

    > Well done K-Man - trying to impersonate someone else again!

    It's an identity crisis type thing. When s/h/it reaches adulthood in, oh, say
    20-30 years, it may be resolved.

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    No of SETI units returned: 2026

    The Old Sourdough, Sep 4, 2003
  9. E E 'Doc' Smith

    Eddie Grant Guest

    <snip the crap>

    > I would be a bit careful - Compaq MIGHT consider that the removal of the
    > branding constitutes a breach of warranty. (ie mucking about with the
    > OS). I would read the small print VERY carefully before you do this.

    'BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA'

    Eddie Grant, Sep 4, 2003
  10. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In news:,
    rifleman <> typed
    || In article <bj6th3$g7pnb$-berlin.de>, "E E 'Doc'
    || Smith" <nandreck@(nospam)yahoo.co.uk> says...
    ||| My new Compaq notebook running XP Home is branded as they all are.
    ||| Before the logon screen a Compaq Splash Screen appears and both
    ||| Outlook Express and Internet Explorer and branded as well. Is there
    ||| an easy way to remove this?
    || I would be a bit careful - Compaq MIGHT consider that the removal of
    || the branding constitutes a breach of warranty. (ie mucking about
    || with the
    || OS). I would read the small print VERY carefully before you do this.

    They would lose badly in a court

    ---
    Message has been scanned and is, to the best of my knowledge, Virus Free.

    Robert de Brus, Sep 4, 2003
  11. E E 'Doc' Smith

    rifleman Guest

    In article <RhO5b.2348$>, de_brus@h
    says...

    > In news:,
    > rifleman <> typed
    > || In article <bj6th3$g7pnb$-berlin.de>, "E E 'Doc'
    > || Smith" <nandreck@(nospam)yahoo.co.uk> says...
    > || I would be a bit careful - Compaq MIGHT consider that the removal of
    > || the branding constitutes a breach of warranty. (ie mucking about
    > || with the
    > || OS). I would read the small print VERY carefully before you do this.
    >
    > They would lose badly in a court

    Well they might do, but would you want to wait that long to get your
    machine fixed under warranty?

    rifleman, Sep 5, 2003
  12. If it isn't being set as a Group Policy then try these links.

    http://www.powerpageswebdesign.com/articles_isp_branding_2.htm
    http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/print/0,23102,3358084,00.html

    Anthony Riches, Sep 5, 2003
  13. E E 'Doc' Smith

    Eddie Grant Guest

    <snip the crap>

    Where do you get all this retarded bullshit from?

    Eddie Grant, Sep 5, 2003
  14. E E 'Doc' Smith

    Rifleman Guest

    Eddie Grant wrote:
    > <snip the crap>

    > Where do you get all this retarded bullshit from?

    just long years of dealing with idiotic vendors.

    Rifleman, Sep 5, 2003
  15. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In news:,
    rifleman <> typed
    || In article <RhO5b.2348$>, de_brus@h
    || says...
    ||| In news:,
    ||| rifleman <> typed
    ||| They would lose badly in a court
    || Well they might do, but would you want to wait that long to get your
    || machine fixed under warranty?

    It would take only a matter of weeks. It wouldn't even get to the tribunal.
    It's simply not in their interest.

    ---
    Message has been scanned and is, to the best of my knowledge, Virus Free.

    Robert de Brus, Sep 5, 2003