Remove Norton software

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by feedscrn, Sep 21, 2007.

  1. feedscrn

    feedscrn Guest

    I've had enuf of the N_rton Antivirus S/W- Internet Security.

    Firstly, the Live update stopped working right after I installed it:
    Tos_iba laptop, purchased 2006. To resolve this, the company help desk
    suggests to remove and re-install N_rton Antivirus. I did this, and
    it still did not help.

    The second thing that I just had enough of are the incessant questions
    about 'Do you want to block SVCHost.exe' or some other similar
    program. I would always respond 'Yes'... but there is Rarely an option
    to permanently block, or 'block for the remainder of the day, or for
    the week, month, year'. So, after all that, almost immediately, about
    10 seconds later, I get another interruption with the nasty yellow
    color dialog: 'Do you want to block SVCHost.exe'? Well, I just decided
    to block it 20 secs ago... so probably- click. It just goes on an on.

    Onto removing the software. This doesn't even work. I try to uninstall
    in regular mode. I get a warning- you have 200 days of subscription
    left, are you sure? I choose Yes... After a couple of dialog screens
    and 'next' buttons, the uninstall fails. I try to do this in safe
    mode... the software knows that it is in Safe mode, and tells me to go
    back to regular running mode. Time for the old-fashion: go to the
    directory and remove the offending files.

    Thanks for reading this.

    feedscrn, Sep 21, 2007

  2. feedscrn

    SJP Guest

    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

    SJP, Sep 21, 2007

  3. feedscrn

    kráftéé Guest

    feedscrn wrote:
    > I've had enuf of the N_rton Antivirus S/W- Internet Security.

    > The second thing that I just had enough of are the incessant
    > questions about 'Do you want to block SVCHost.exe' or some other
    > similar program. I would always respond 'Yes'... but there is
    > Rarely an option to permanently block, or 'block for the remainder
    > of the day, or for the week, month, year'. So, after all that,
    > almost immediately, about 10 seconds later, I get another
    > interruption with the nasty yellow color dialog: 'Do you want to
    > block SVCHost.exe'? Well, I just decided to block it 20 secs ago...
    > so probably- click. It just goes on an on.

    Which is the way you 'train' any firewall, if you leave everything
    automatic you'd soon be shouting even louder than you are now.

    > Onto removing the software. This doesn't even work. I try to
    > uninstall in regular mode. I get a warning- you have 200 days of
    > subscription left, are you sure? I choose Yes... After a couple of
    > dialog screens and 'next' buttons, the uninstall fails. I try to do
    > this in safe mode... the software knows that it is in Safe mode,
    > and tells me to go back to regular running mode. Time for the
    > old-fashion: go to the directory and remove the offending files.
    >
    > Thanks for reading this.

    Symantec do offer an uninstall applet on their site, be warned it
    doesn't remove some of the registery entries as I found out when I
    tried to update.

    kráftéé, Sep 21, 2007
  4. feedscrn

    John Holmes Guest

    feedscrn "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > 've had enuf of the N_rton

    Learn to spell for fucking christ's sake first, you illiterate moron.

    --
    Your mother was a self-centred computer programmer who used to breed cacti
    with members of the Campaign for Real Ale.

    John Holmes, Sep 21, 2007
  5. feedscrn

    feedscrn Guest

    SJP and kráftéé wrote....

    Thank you for your thoughtful and helpful suggestions.

    Feedscrn

    feedscrn, Sep 21, 2007
  6. feedscrn

    Mr Pounder Guest

    "John Holmes" <> wrote in message
    > feedscrn "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> 've had enuf of the N_rton

    > Learn to spell for fucking christ's sake first, you illiterate moron.
    >
    > --
    > Your mother was a self-centred computer programmer who used to breed cacti
    > with members of the Campaign for Real Ale.

    Troll

    Mr Pounder, Sep 22, 2007
  7. feedscrn

    ellis_jay Guest

    John Holmes wrote:
    > feedscrn "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> 've had enuf of the N_rton

    > Learn to spell for fucking christ's sake first, you illiterate moron.

    I can play, too!! Christ is spelled with a capital "C" .

    --
    When people are engaged in something they are not proud of, they do
    not welcome witnesses. In fact, they come to believe the witness causes

    Ellis_Jay

    ellis_jay, Sep 23, 2007