    Eliminating the option of selection entirely if there is only one system?

    The Os's in question are Win2k or XP.

    Rolf
    Rolf, Mar 16, 2007

  2. Rolf

    D.Duck Guest

    "Rolf" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > With multiple systems installed, in different folders, one gets a list of
    > alternative systems to boot when starting the machine.
    >
    > Where is the info stored, is it possible to disable the systems I don't
    > want
    > to use, or to remove systems, leaving only the one(s) that I want?
    > Eliminating the option of selection entirely if there is only one system?
    >
    > The Os's in question are Win2k or XP.
    >
    > Rolf

    Control Panel > System > Advanced > Startup and Recovery ~ Settings > Edit

    Remove any "systems" from the boot.ini you don't want to show during boot.

    Save the file.
    D.Duck, Mar 16, 2007

  3. Rolf

    Rolf Guest

    "D.Duck" <> wrote in message

    > "Rolf" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > With multiple systems installed, in different folders, one gets a list

    of
    > > alternative systems to boot when starting the machine.
    > >
    > > Where is the info stored, is it possible to disable the systems I don't
    > > want
    > > to use, or to remove systems, leaving only the one(s) that I want?
    > > Eliminating the option of selection entirely if there is only one

    system?

    > > The Os's in question are Win2k or XP.
    > >
    > > Rolf

    > Control Panel > System > Advanced > Startup and Recovery ~ Settings > Edit
    >
    > Remove any "systems" from the boot.ini you don't want to show during boot.
    >
    > Save the file.

    Thanks!
    Rolf, Mar 17, 2007
  4. Rolf

    Rolf Guest

    "Rolf" <> wrote in message

    > "D.Duck" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Rolf" <> wrote in message
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > With multiple systems installed, in different folders, one gets a list

    > of
    > > > alternative systems to boot when starting the machine.
    > > >
    > > > Where is the info stored, is it possible to disable the systems I

    don't
    > > > want
    > > > to use, or to remove systems, leaving only the one(s) that I want?
    > > > Eliminating the option of selection entirely if there is only one

    > system?
    > > >
    > > > The Os's in question are Win2k or XP.
    > > >
    > > > Rolf

    > > Control Panel > System > Advanced > Startup and Recovery ~ Settings >

    Edit

    > > Remove any "systems" from the boot.ini you don't want to show during

    boot.

    > > Save the file.
    > >

    > Thanks!

    I am sorry, this did not work - because the 'Setup - Edit' options just did
    not show.

    In Startup & Recovery, I find the entries, but are not allowed access. I am
    logged on as Administrator - but do not use passwords. I should not think
    that matters.

    Maybe if i could find the specific file wher the info is stored and edit
    with wordpad or notebook?
    Rolf, Mar 18, 2007
  5. Rolf

    D.Duck Guest

    "Rolf" <> wrote in message

    > "Rolf" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "D.Duck" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "Rolf" <> wrote in message

    >> of

    > don't

    >> system?

    >> > Control Panel > System > Advanced > Startup and Recovery ~ Settings >

    > Edit
    >> >
    >> > Remove any "systems" from the boot.ini you don't want to show during

    > boot.
    >> >
    >> > Save the file.
    >> >

    >> Thanks!
    >>

    > I am sorry, this did not work - because the 'Setup - Edit' options just
    > did
    > not show.
    >
    > In Startup & Recovery, I find the entries, but are not allowed access. I
    > am
    > logged on as Administrator - but do not use passwords. I should not think
    > that matters.
    >
    > Maybe if i could find the specific file wher the info is stored and edit
    > with wordpad or notebook?

    boot.ini, the file you want to edit, is located in C:\. That assumes that
    the OS is installed on the C partition.
    D.Duck, Mar 18, 2007
  6. Rolf

    pcbutts1 Guest

    If the startup and recovery options are not selectable then you do not have
    admin rights. Try it from XP instead of 2000, XP will have an edit button of
    you can just set the display time to 0.

    pcbutts1, Mar 18, 2007
  7. Rolf

    Rolf Guest

    "pcbutts1" <> wrote in message
    > If the startup and recovery options are not selectable then you do not

    have
    > admin rights. Try it from XP instead of 2000, XP will have an edit button

    of
    > you can just set the display time to 0.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Newsgroup Trolls. Read about mine here http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads
    > The list grows. Leythos the stalker http://www.leythosthestalker.com,

    David
    > H. Lipman, Max M Wachtell III aka What's in a Name?, Fitz,
    > Rhonda Lea Kirk, Meat Plow, F Kwatu F, George Orwell
    >

    > "Rolf" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Rolf" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "D.Duck" <> wrote in message

    > >> of

    > > don't
    > >> system?

    > > Edit

    > > boot.

    > >> Thanks!
    > >>

    > > I am sorry, this did not work - because the 'Setup - Edit' options just
    > > did
    > > not show.
    > >
    > > In Startup & Recovery, I find the entries, but are not allowed access. I
    > > am
    > > logged on as Administrator - but do not use passwords. I should not

    think
    > > that matters.
    > >
    > > Maybe if i could find the specific file wher the info is stored and edit
    > > with wordpad or notebook?

    Hi there, Wizard(s):

    Being rather comfortable with DOS, I used command.com, removed the SH
    attributes on my boot.ini file, edited, saved and restored attributes, and
    everything looks fine.

    But what is slowing my machine down? At startup, it takes between one to
    three minutes before removing the 'preparing network connection' (msg here
    is in Norwegian, so xlation may not be correct).

    Sometimes, when the icons come up on the desktop, they show with the
    temporary MS-icons befor the proper icon shows. This does not happen always,
    but never used to happen before.

    When I shut down the last time, I got a msg about program tca.exe not being
    finished. Is tca something that should be there?
    Rolf, Mar 19, 2007