    What woud be the best way forward? Please advise.

    Thanks,
    Mani

    Mani, Mar 5, 2007

  2. Mani

    philo Guest

    "Mani" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi, I am trying to move from Linux to Win XP back. Yet my boot CD
    > starts but goes blank.
    >
    > There is no CD read activity but my Hard disk activity LED is ON.
    >
    > What woud be the best way forward? Please advise.

    It should be as simple as setting your bios to boot first from cd...
    then boot up, format the drive from the context of the XP install

    philo, Mar 5, 2007

  3. Mani

    Mani Guest

    On Mar 5, 11:23 pm, "philo" <> wrote:
    > "Mani" <> wrote in message

    > > Hi, I am trying to move from Linux to Win XP back. Yet my boot CD
    > > starts but goes blank.

    > > There is no CD read activity but my Hard disk activity LED is ON.

    > > What woud be the best way forward? Please advise.

    > It should be as simple as setting your bios to boot first from cd...
    > then boot up, format the drive from the context of the XP install

    Thanks,

    My BIOS is setup to boot from CD and it boots;

    It says Press any key to boot from CD - When pressed i get a message
    scanning computer....

    Screen goes blank after that.. I hope there's no problem with picking
    up the boot device.

    Any other ideas?

    Thanks in advance...

    Mani, Mar 5, 2007
  4. Mani

    Mani Guest

    On Mar 5, 11:31 pm, "Mani" <> wrote:
    > On Mar 5, 11:23 pm, "philo" <> wrote:
    >
    > > "Mani" <> wrote in message

    > > > Hi, I am trying to move from Linux to Win XP back. Yet my boot CD
    > > > starts but goes blank.

    > > > There is no CD read activity but my Hard disk activity LED is ON.

    > > > What woud be the best way forward? Please advise.

    > > It should be as simple as setting your bios to boot first from cd...
    > > then boot up, format the drive from the context of the XP install

    > Thanks,
    >
    > My BIOS is setup to boot from CD and it boots;
    >
    > It says Press any key to boot from CD - When pressed i get a message
    > scanning computer....
    >
    > Screen goes blank after that.. I hope there's no problem with picking
    > up the boot device.
    >
    > Any other ideas?
    >
    > Thanks in advance...

    Importantly I have linux loaded on my comp.. I would like to move from
    Linux back tp Win XP...

    Mani, Mar 5, 2007
  5. Mani

    philo Guest

    > > Any other ideas?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance...

    > Importantly I have linux loaded on my comp.. I would like to move from
    > Linux back tp Win XP...

    Yes...if you can get the XP installation started it will have no trouble
    deleteing the Linux partitions
    however it's bombing out somewhere...
    I guess I'd make sure the cd is clean...
    possibly try another cdrom in the machine

    philo, Mar 5, 2007
  6. Mani

    Mani Guest

    On Mar 5, 11:39 pm, "philo" <> wrote:
    > > > Any other ideas?

    > > > Thanks in advance...

    > > Importantly I have linux loaded on my comp.. I would like to move from
    > > Linux back tp Win XP...

    > Yes...if you can get the XP installation started it will have no trouble
    > deleteing the Linux partitions
    > however it's bombing out somewhere...
    > I guess I'd make sure the cd is clean...
    > possibly try another cdrom in the machine

    my linux dvd boots up with no issues, and proceeds with the
    installation screens... I just tried it..

    Mani, Mar 5, 2007
  7. Mani

    philo Guest

    > > Yes...if you can get the XP installation started it will have no trouble
    > > deleteing the Linux partitions
    > > however it's bombing out somewhere...
    > > I guess I'd make sure the cd is clean...
    > > possibly try another cdrom in the machine

    > my linux dvd boots up with no issues, and proceeds with the
    > installation screens... I just tried it..

    well then have a good look at your XP cd...

    dusty, scratched???

    if your Linux DVD boots up ok...the XP cd should boot too

    philo, Mar 5, 2007
  8. On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 15:54:11 -0800, Mani wrote:

    >> > Importantly I have linux loaded on my comp.. I would like to move from
    >> > Linux back tp Win XP...

    >> Yes...if you can get the XP installation started it will have no trouble
    >> deleteing the Linux partitions
    >> however it's bombing out somewhere... I guess I'd make sure the cd is
    >> clean... possibly try another cdrom in the machine

    > my linux dvd boots up with no issues, and proceeds with the installation
    > screens... I just tried it..

    Try booting up with the Linux CD and specifying a Fresh Install. Wait
    until the formatting of the drive has finished, then yank the Linux CD and
    insert Microsoft.

    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Pomona, CA * 34.074630°N 117.754195°W
    knotgary at knotdonavan dot org http : // www.donavan.org

    Gary G. Taylor, Mar 6, 2007
  9. Mani

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-03-05, Mani <> wrote:
    > Hi, I am trying to move from Linux to Win XP back. Yet my boot CD
    > starts but goes blank.
    >
    > There is no CD read activity but my Hard disk activity LED is ON.
    >
    > What woud be the best way forward? Please advise.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mani

    Check the Windows CD; eg, can you see anything on it from a 'file
    manager'when you insert the disc while an operating system is running?
    Does it boot on any other machine?

    Is the disc concerned the one provided with that machine when the machine
    was new, or is it one supplied with some other machine? Is it the first
    CD in a boxed set bought over the counter from a reputable supplier?

    Before you installed Linux on that machine, did you 'format' or 'delete'
    all the Windows and OEM files including the 'compressed' files which the
    OEM Windows CD needs to get to to repair or reinstall the Windows system?

    --
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Mar 6, 2007