"Remove It Permanently" in Thunderbird?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by yogi22, Dec 4, 2007.

  1. yogi22

    yogi22 Guest

    One of my favourite FF extensions is "Remove it Permanently", as it
    declutters and removes first party ads that Adblock cannot.

    <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/521>

    I use TB to subscribe to various RSS feeds and newsletters. As a great
    many of these messages have lots of "junk" in them, always in the same
    places, it would be nice to suppress the junk with RIP or something
    similar.

    When I searched TB Addons for "Remove it Permanently", I was sent to a
    page that said, "Incompatible Extension or Extension No Longer
    Available". On the FF RIP page, there is no way to contact the author.

    I tried downloading the FF RIP, then installing it from the TB Tools
    Menu. It looked like it was going to work (countdown and everything),
    but then it said, "RIP could not be installed, because it is not
    compatible with Thunderbird".

    Any ideas out there about how to achieve my aim?
    kk

    yogi22, Dec 4, 2007

  2. yogi22 wrote:
    > One of my favourite FF extensions is "Remove it Permanently", as it
    > declutters and removes first party ads that Adblock cannot.
    >
    > <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/521>
    >
    > I use TB to subscribe to various RSS feeds and newsletters. As a great
    > many of these messages have lots of "junk" in them, always in the same
    > places, it would be nice to suppress the junk with RIP or something
    > similar.
    >
    > When I searched TB Addons for "Remove it Permanently", I was sent to a
    > page that said, "Incompatible Extension or Extension No Longer
    > Available". On the FF RIP page, there is no way to contact the author.
    >
    > I tried downloading the FF RIP, then installing it from the TB Tools
    > Menu. It looked like it was going to work (countdown and everything),
    > but then it said, "RIP could not be installed, because it is not
    > compatible with Thunderbird".
    >
    > Any ideas out there about how to achieve my aim?
    > kk

    Ad blocking styles can be added to userContent.css:

    http://userstyles.org/styles/1095

    The site recommends installing Stylish, but the code can simply be
    copy/pasted into userContent.css. There are a couple of stylesheets
    available at the site. I use a modified version in Thunderbird that
    works quite well at reducing ads.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 4, 2007

  3. yogi22

    yogi22 Guest

    On Dec 4, 3:09 pm, Leonidas Jones <> wrote:
    > yogi22 wrote:
    > > One of my favourite FF extensions is "Remove it Permanently", as it
    > > declutters and removes first party ads that Adblock cannot.

    > > <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/521>

    > > I use TB to subscribe to various RSS feeds and newsletters. As a great
    > > many of these messages have lots of "junk" in them, always in the same
    > > places, it would be nice to suppress the junk with RIP or something
    > > similar.

    > > When I searched TB Addons for "Remove it Permanently", I was sent to a
    > > page that said, "Incompatible Extension or Extension No Longer
    > > Available". On the FF RIP page, there is no way to contact the author.

    > > I tried downloading the FF RIP, then installing it from the TB Tools
    > > Menu. It looked like it was going to work (countdown and everything),
    > > but then it said, "RIP could not be installed, because it is not
    > > compatible with Thunderbird".

    > > Any ideas out there about how to achieve my aim?
    > > kk

    > Ad blocking styles can be added to userContent.css:
    >
    > http://userstyles.org/styles/1095
    >
    > The site recommends installing Stylish, but the code can simply be
    > copy/pasted into userContent.css. There are a couple of stylesheets
    > available at the site. I use a modified version in Thunderbird that
    > works quite well at reducing ads.
    >
    > Lee

    I went there, and clicked on "Load as User Script" which took me to a
    text page that I copied and pasted into "userContent.css" and saved. I
    then started TB and tried out a few RSS messages. There may have been
    a difference, or maybe not.

    FYI, I already had Adblock Plus (with EasyList Filter subscription)
    installed. Furthermore, when I opened "userContent.css", I noticed
    there was already a script in there.

    /* ----BLOCK ADS---- */

    /*
    *
    * Filter Rules collected by Fred (taken from K-Meleon 0.9.12)
    *
    */
    etc., etc., etc.

    I have no idea when or where I got this script from.

    IOW, I think I probably have third party ads pretty well covered. What
    I would really like to do is to blank out the stuff that is always in
    the same place in every message from the same sender. On webpages that
    I often visit, by using RIP, I can automatically eliminate all the
    stuff around the edges of the text that I am really interested in. I
    was hoping to do something similar in TB.

    For example, I visited the website of an RSS message from Infoweek.
    <http://www.informationweek.com/hardware/showArticle.jhtml?
    articleID=204200374&cid=RSSfeed_TechWeb>
    This webpage appears to be identical to the RSS message in TB. Then I
    ripped the page to clear away all the news links and promotional stuff
    that InfoWeek always clutters up their pages with.

    To see the difference between ripped and unripped, please visit
    <http://picasaweb.google.com/ken.kennedy.groups/PrintScreenFiles>

    The pics don't show that well, but I am sure you will see the idea. I
    would love to be able to perform similar magic in TB.
    Thanx for your input.
    kk

    yogi22, Dec 5, 2007