    (and preferably from the hdd altogether) as I often click on it by accident
    when selecting Run and its crap anyway.

    Thanks in advance
    -[Myth]-, Dec 29, 2003

  2. -[Myth]-

    Lebowski Guest

    "-[Myth]-" <> wrote in message
    news:1g1kd5b6yajg1$.a054a3lyveq0$...
    > Is there any way to remove the Help and Support program from the start

    menu
    > (and preferably from the hdd altogether) as I often click on it by

    accident
    > when selecting Run and its crap anyway.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    This is a pretty easy one. Right-click on your "Start" menu, choose
    "Properties" then "customise". Choose the "Advanced" tab, scroll down a
    little bit, you will see a "Help and Support" check box. Uncheck it. Hit
    "apply" and "ok". Done.
    Lebowski, Dec 29, 2003

  3. -[Myth]-

    Warwick Guest

    On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 15:07:50 +1300, -[Myth]- wrote:

    > Is there any way to remove the Help and Support program from the start menu
    > (and preferably from the hdd altogether) as I often click on it by accident
    > when selecting Run and its crap anyway.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    As an aside and just in case you were unaware ...

    Since Run (and find) almost invariably have me typing something into the
    dialog box after its invoked, I invoke them from the keyboard, I find it
    faster.
    Windows Key + R is run, Windows Key + f is find.

    cheers
    Warwick
    Warwick, Dec 29, 2003
  4. -[Myth]-

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 16:28:46 +1300, Lebowski wrote:

    > "-[Myth]-" <> wrote in message
    >> Is there any way to remove the Help and Support program from the start

    > menu
    >> (and preferably from the hdd altogether) as I often click on it by

    > accident
    >> when selecting Run and its crap anyway.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance

    > This is a pretty easy one. Right-click on your "Start" menu, choose
    > "Properties" then "customise". Choose the "Advanced" tab, scroll down a
    > little bit, you will see a "Help and Support" check box. Uncheck it. Hit
    > "apply" and "ok". Done.

    Hmm, there is no advanced tab, maybe this is because I am using Classic
    theme? BTW I am using XP Pro.
    -[Myth]-, Dec 29, 2003
  5. -[Myth]-

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 16:52:13 +1300, Warwick wrote:

    > On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 15:07:50 +1300, -[Myth]- wrote:
    >

    >> Is there any way to remove the Help and Support program from the start menu
    >> (and preferably from the hdd altogether) as I often click on it by accident
    >> when selecting Run and its crap anyway.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance

    > As an aside and just in case you were unaware ...
    >
    > Since Run (and find) almost invariably have me typing something into the
    > dialog box after its invoked, I invoke them from the keyboard, I find it
    > faster.
    > Windows Key + R is run, Windows Key + f is find.
    >

    > cheers
    > Warwick

    Thanks for that tip, its a much quicker way of accessing run
    -[Myth]-, Dec 29, 2003
  6. -[Myth]-

    Enkidu Guest

    On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 18:09:58 +1300, "-[Myth]-"
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 16:28:46 +1300, Lebowski wrote:
    >
    >> "-[Myth]-" <> wrote in message
    >>> Is there any way to remove the Help and Support program from the start

    >> menu
    >>> (and preferably from the hdd altogether) as I often click on it by

    >> accident
    >>> when selecting Run and its crap anyway.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance

    >> This is a pretty easy one. Right-click on your "Start" menu, choose
    >> "Properties" then "customise". Choose the "Advanced" tab, scroll down a
    >> little bit, you will see a "Help and Support" check box. Uncheck it. Hit
    >> "apply" and "ok". Done.

    >Hmm, there is no advanced tab, maybe this is because I am using Classic
    >theme? BTW I am using XP Pro.

    Themes should make no difference. I have XP Pro and the tab is there.
    Are you logged in as an administrator?

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    --

    Christmas comes but once a year, thank the gods. I don't think
    that I could cope with twice.
    Enkidu, Dec 29, 2003
  7. -[Myth]-

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 20:01:20 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

    > On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 18:09:58 +1300, "-[Myth]-"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 16:28:46 +1300, Lebowski wrote:
    >>
    >>> "-[Myth]-" <> wrote in message
    >>> menu
    >>> accident

    >>> This is a pretty easy one. Right-click on your "Start" menu, choose
    >>> "Properties" then "customise". Choose the "Advanced" tab, scroll down a
    >>> little bit, you will see a "Help and Support" check box. Uncheck it. Hit
    >>> "apply" and "ok". Done.

    >>Hmm, there is no advanced tab, maybe this is because I am using Classic
    >>theme? BTW I am using XP Pro.
    >>

    > Themes should make no difference. I have XP Pro and the tab is there.
    > Are you logged in as an administrator?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    What i mean is Im using the classic start menu also.
    there is an advanced button but all it does is open up C:\Documents and
    Settings\User\Start Menu
    -[Myth]-, Dec 29, 2003
  8. -[Myth]-

    ac Guest

    In article <1g1kd5b6yajg1$.a054a3lyveq0$>,
    ve says...
    > Is there any way to remove the Help and Support program from the start menu
    > (and preferably from the hdd altogether) as I often click on it by accident
    > when selecting Run and its crap anyway.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Well it is one of those lovely Windows Policies.
    You can hack away at the registry directly at

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies
    \Explorer

    Make a new DWORD key: NoSMHelp
    Value: 1

    Or run (form the Run menu - doh): gpedit.msc

    Look at: User Configuration->Administrative Templates->Start Menu and
    Taskbar->Remove Help from Start Menu

    In both cases you need to restart Windows (but Microsoft users are used
    to that). Works even if you are running the Classic Start Menu. Of
    course this is on a per user basis.
    ac, Dec 29, 2003
  9. -[Myth]-

    ~misfit~ Guest

    -[Myth]- wrote:
    > On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 20:32:09 +1300, -[Myth]- wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 20:01:20 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

    >>> Themes should make no difference. I have XP Pro and the tab is
    >>> there. Are you logged in as an administrator?
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,
    >>>
    >>> Cliff

    >> What i mean is Im using the classic start menu also.
    >> there is an advanced button but all it does is open up C:\Documents
    >> and Settings\User\Start Menu

    > There is a screenshot attached to this post for those whose newsgroups
    > support it. (sorry about the crap quality)

    Just right-click the offending entry and click 'delete'. (On the start menu
    itself)
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Dec 29, 2003
  10. -[Myth]-

    ~misfit~ Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Just right-click the offending entry and click 'delete'. (On the
    > start menu itself)

    Ok, that doesn't work.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Dec 29, 2003
  11. -[Myth]-

    Ali P Guest

    "ac" <> wrote in message
    > In article <1g1kd5b6yajg1$.a054a3lyveq0$>,
    > ve says...
    > > Is there any way to remove the Help and Support program from the start

    menu
    > > (and preferably from the hdd altogether) as I often click on it by

    accident
    > > when selecting Run and its crap anyway.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance
    > >

    > Well it is one of those lovely Windows Policies.
    > You can hack away at the registry directly at
    >
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies
    > \Explorer
    >
    > Make a new DWORD key: NoSMHelp
    > Value: 1
    >
    > Or run (form the Run menu - doh): gpedit.msc
    >
    > Look at: User Configuration->Administrative Templates->Start Menu and
    > Taskbar->Remove Help from Start Menu
    >
    > In both cases you need to restart Windows (but Microsoft users are used
    > to that). Works even if you are running the Classic Start Menu. Of
    > course this is on a per user basis.

    TweakUI also gets rid of it if you don't want to hack the registry.
    AL
    Ali P, Dec 29, 2003
  12. -[Myth]-

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 22:04:54 +1300, ac wrote:

    > In article <1g1kd5b6yajg1$.a054a3lyveq0$>,
    > ve says...
    >> Is there any way to remove the Help and Support program from the start menu
    >> (and preferably from the hdd altogether) as I often click on it by accident
    >> when selecting Run and its crap anyway.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance
    >>

    > Well it is one of those lovely Windows Policies.
    > You can hack away at the registry directly at
    >
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies
    > \Explorer
    >
    > Make a new DWORD key: NoSMHelp
    > Value: 1
    >
    > Or run (form the Run menu - doh): gpedit.msc
    >
    > Look at: User Configuration->Administrative Templates->Start Menu and
    > Taskbar->Remove Help from Start Menu
    >
    > In both cases you need to restart Windows (but Microsoft users are used
    > to that). Works even if you are running the Classic Start Menu. Of
    > course this is on a per user basis.

    That worked. Thank you very much.
    -[Myth]-, Dec 29, 2003