remove dell wireless wlan

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Casey, Mar 10, 2007.

  1. Casey

    Casey Guest

    I'm trying to figure out how to disable the Dell Wireless WLAN
    application and instead just use XP's built-in wireless capabilities.

    I recently reinstalled XP Pro on my Dell latitude D510. After
    installation, Device Manager was not recognizing my internal wireless
    card (it didn't even appear in device list), so I downloaded from Dell
    the driver for it (R140747--52MB, it was--packaged with a few others, I
    think) and installed it. Device Manager now recognizes my "Dell
    Wireless 1370 WLAN Mini-PCI Card" as a network adapter and I can connect
    to my wireless router.

    However, I don't want to be running the Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility!
    How the heck do I disable it?? It includes a checkbox that reads "let
    this tool manage your wireless networks," but even when it is unchecked
    the program still runs. I want to quit the program permanently. I
    tried uninstalling it, but that left me back at the original state
    (device manager didn't see a wireless card), so i reinstalled it.

    Before reinstalling XP I didn't have this problem--I could use the
    wireless adapter without Dell's utility. I imagine this is a driver
    issue and that I have a newer driver now than I used to (unfortunately,
    I don't have the previous driver).

    Anyone know what to do? Is there a way to get XP to recognize and use
    the wireless card without Dell's extra WLAN application?

    Thanks,

    -Casey
    Casey, Mar 10, 2007

  2. Hi
    Many of these Wireless Utilities are a combo of Driver/Utility application.
    So, when you uninstall the utility it uninstalls the Wireless card's drivers
    too.
    Log to Dell's support, and see if they offer the drivers as a separate
    download.
    Otherwise, use these two utilities (StartUp & Process Explorer) to find out
    the components of the utility and try to get rid of them.
    http://www.ezlan.net/infestation#startup
    Many times unchecking the entries in the StartUp loading would do it.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Mar 10, 2007

  3. Casey

    Casey Guest

    Thanks Jack,

    I actually managed to disable the utility by disabling the Dell Wireless
    WLAN Tray Service in Computer Management-->Services.

    However, one process is still running (WLTRAY.exe), so I will give your
    suggestions a shot. There used to be three processes, so this is
    progress...

    Thanks for such quick advice!

    -Casey

    Casey, Mar 10, 2007
  4. Casey

    Casey Guest

    Startup Control Panel worked great--thanks.

    Casey, Mar 10, 2007
  5. Casey

    Dan Itt Guest

    Not a stupid question. Check out Shahhere's response here.

    http://forums.techguy.org/networking/562670-wireless-problems.html

    Casey wrote:

    remove dell wireless wlan
    10-Mar-07

[...]

    On Saturday, March 10, 2007 2:44 PM
    Casey wrote:

    remove dell wireless wlan
[...]

    On Saturday, March 10, 2007 2:55 PM
    Jack \(MVP-Networking\). wrote:

    Re: remove dell wireless wlan
    Many of these Wireless Utilities are a combo of Driver/Utility application
    So, when you uninstall the utility it uninstalls the Wireless card's drivers
    too
    Log to Dell's support, and see if they offer the drivers as a separate
    download
    Otherwise, use these two utilities (StartUp & Process Explorer) to find out
    the components of the utility and try to get rid of them
    http://www.ezlan.net/infestation#startu
    Many times unchecking the entries in the StartUp loading would do it
    Jack (MVP-Networking)

    "Casey" <> wrote in message

    On Saturday, March 10, 2007 3:12 PM
    Casey wrote:

    Re: remove dell wireless wlan
    Thanks Jack

    I actually managed to disable the utility by disabling the Dell Wireless
    WLAN Tray Service in Computer Management-->Services

    However, one process is still running (WLTRAY.exe), so I will give your
    suggestions a shot. There used to be three processes, so this is
    progress...

    Thanks for such quick advice!

    -Casey

    Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:

    On Saturday, March 10, 2007 3:32 PM
    Casey wrote:

    Re: remove dell wireless wlan
    Startup Control Panel worked great--thanks.

    Casey wrote:

    On Monday, July 27, 2009 9:25 AM
    Angie Thomas wrote:

    Disabled the Dell WLAN Tray service
    You are required to be a member to post replies. After logging in or becoming a member, you will be redirected back to this page.

    DataDynamics Active Reports.NET Overview
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...3-afe56264b948/datadynamics-active-repor.aspx
    Dan Itt, Oct 16, 2009