    How do I get a post removed from google groups that was posted in the
    newsgroups that contains my home address? They say on the one who
    posted it can remove it.
    eoiajvoeijn, Aug 26, 2007

  2. On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 08:36:28 -0500, eoiajvoeijn <>
    wrote:

    >How do I get a post removed from google groups that was posted in the
    >newsgroups that contains my home address? They say on the one who
    >posted it can remove it.

    If by "newsgroups" you mean Usenet then you can't remove posts from
    all the hundreds of servers over the world. Cancels and rescinds are
    ignored by most servers these days. Google may remove their copy.

    Steve

    --
    Steve Wolstenholme Neural Planner Software Ltd

    http://www.easynn.com
    Steve Wolstenholme, Aug 26, 2007

  3. eoiajvoeijn

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 08:36:28 -0500, eoiajvoeijn wrote:

    >How do I get a post removed from google groups that was posted in the

    The problem is did you post it via Google or another way?

    >newsgroups that contains my home address? They say on the one who
    >posted it can remove it.

    Besides Google help and contacting them, if you posted using Google,
    well join the many poster that do the same thing, along with CVs,
    addresses details and even time / day they won't be at home :)

    You haven't (if posted via Google) seen previous posts in 24HSHD
    1 such thread is

    How do I delete my own old posts from Google Groups?
    Mike Easter 24hoursupport helpdesk Pistachio wrote:
    Subject:
    How do I delete my own old posts from Google Groups? ... you use the
    tool at
    http://groups.google.com/groups/msgs_remove Enter the email address
    originally
    used to post the messages: ... using that tool for each address which
    has one or ...
    Feb 1 by Mike Easter - 13 messages - 8 authors

    That only removes it from the Google archive, leaving it sitting on
    1000's of news servers all over the world.

    Me
    why?, Aug 26, 2007
  4. eoiajvoeijn

    Mike Easter Guest

    eoiajvoeijn wrote:

    > How do I get a post removed from google groups that was posted in the
    > newsgroups that contains my home address? They say on the one who
    > posted it can remove it.

    You can't.

    It is my understanding that you are saying that there is a message which
    you did not post which message was posted via a googlegrouper into a
    usenet newsgroup and which subsequently was propagated to the world's
    newsservers and newsreaders.

    You are further saying that the messagebody someone else posted is
    'outing' some features of your meatspace identity, namely your street
    address, city, postal zipcode, and country and perhaps more, such as
    your name.

    You are further saying that you have contacted google to try to get them
    to 'remove' such a message that you didn't post, and they have informed
    you of their policies, which are reasonable.

    Google spells out pretty clearly which posts they will remove from their
    archives, as you must be aware since you choose to be an XNA poster.

    Alternatively, if you are saying that _you_ posted the message in
    question yourself, then you would have to have some method of proving to
    google that you posted it.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Aug 26, 2007
  5. eoiajvoeijn

    eoiajvoeijn Guest

    On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 14:05:07 GMT, why?

    >On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 08:36:28 -0500, eoiajvoeijn wrote:
    >
    >>How do I get a post removed from google groups that was posted in the

    >The problem is did you post it via Google or another way?
    >
    >>newsgroups that contains my home address? They say on the one who
    >>posted it can remove it.

    >Besides Google help and contacting them, if you posted using Google,
    >well join the many poster that do the same thing, along with CVs,
    >addresses details and even time / day they won't be at home :)
    >
    >You haven't (if posted via Google) seen previous posts in 24HSHD
    >1 such thread is
    >
    > How do I delete my own old posts from Google Groups?
    >Mike Easter 24hoursupport helpdesk Pistachio wrote:
    >Subject:
    >How do I delete my own old posts from Google Groups? ... you use the
    >tool at
    >http://groups.google.com/groups/msgs_remove Enter the email address
    >originally
    >used to post the messages: ... using that tool for each address which
    >has one or ...
    >Feb 1 by Mike Easter - 13 messages - 8 authors
    >

    >That only removes it from the Google archive, leaving it sitting on
    >1000's of news servers all over the world.
    >
    >Me

    True but less than 1% even know about the newsgroups while everyone
    can access google and see the information.
    eoiajvoeijn, Aug 26, 2007
  6. eoiajvoeijn

    eoiajvoeijn Guest

    On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 07:08:18 -0700, "Mike Easter" <>
    wrote:

    >eoiajvoeijn wrote:
    >
    >> How do I get a post removed from google groups that was posted in the
    >> newsgroups that contains my home address? They say on the one who
    >> posted it can remove it.

    >You can't.
    >
    >It is my understanding that you are saying that there is a message which
    >you did not post which message was posted via a googlegrouper into a
    >usenet newsgroup and which subsequently was propagated to the world's
    >newsservers and newsreaders.
    >
    >You are further saying that the messagebody someone else posted is
    >'outing' some features of your meatspace identity, namely your street
    >address, city, postal zipcode, and country and perhaps more, such as
    >your name.
    >
    >You are further saying that you have contacted google to try to get them
    >to 'remove' such a message that you didn't post, and they have informed
    >you of their policies, which are reasonable.
    >
    >Google spells out pretty clearly which posts they will remove from their
    >archives, as you must be aware since you choose to be an XNA poster.
    >
    >Alternatively, if you are saying that _you_ posted the message in
    >question yourself, then you would have to have some method of proving to
    >google that you posted it.

    It doesn't matter whether I was an XNA poster as I didn't post the
    information.
    Do you have any other ideas now that I've explained that I didn't post
    in on google groups?

    Thanks
    eoiajvoeijn, Aug 26, 2007
  7. On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 11:48:19 -0500, eoiajvoeijn <>
    wrote:

    >True but less than 1% even know about the newsgroups while everyone
    >can access google and see the information.

    Where do you get 1% from? How about 50% don't want to use Google.
    Anyone on usenet with decent client application will find Google
    groups clumsy.
    Steve Wolstenholme, Aug 26, 2007
  8. eoiajvoeijn

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-08-26, eoiajvoeijn <> wrote:
    > How do I get a post removed from google groups that was posted in the
    > newsgroups that contains my home address? They say on the one who
    > posted it can remove it.

    Only the one who posted it can remove it using Google's automatic tools.

    Google could remove it even if the original poster doesn't want them to
    if Google can be convinced that your privacy or safety is more important
    to Google than the 'free speeach' of whoever posted your particulars. I
    don't know if anyone has ever won that argument with Google. Try asking
    whoever it was who posted it, and if they refuse then take it up with
    Google, and good luck to you. It might help if your lawyers were to have
    more money than Google's lawyers.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Aug 26, 2007
  9. eoiajvoeijn wrote:
    > On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 07:08:18 -0700, "Mike Easter" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> eoiajvoeijn wrote:
    >>
    >>> How do I get a post removed from google groups that was posted in the
    >>> newsgroups that contains my home address? They say on the one who
    >>> posted it can remove it.

    >> You can't.
    >>
    >> It is my understanding that you are saying that there is a message which
    >> you did not post which message was posted via a googlegrouper into a
    >> usenet newsgroup and which subsequently was propagated to the world's
    >> newsservers and newsreaders.
    >>
    >> You are further saying that the messagebody someone else posted is
    >> 'outing' some features of your meatspace identity, namely your street
    >> address, city, postal zipcode, and country and perhaps more, such as
    >> your name.
    >>
    >> You are further saying that you have contacted google to try to get them
    >> to 'remove' such a message that you didn't post, and they have informed
    >> you of their policies, which are reasonable.
    >>
    >> Google spells out pretty clearly which posts they will remove from their
    >> archives, as you must be aware since you choose to be an XNA poster.
    >>
    >> Alternatively, if you are saying that _you_ posted the message in
    >> question yourself, then you would have to have some method of proving to
    >> google that you posted it.

    > It doesn't matter whether I was an XNA poster as I didn't post the
    > information.
    > Do you have any other ideas now that I've explained that I didn't post
    > in on google groups?

    You can't remove other people's posts. If someone else posted your
    personal information, then YOU were remiss is letting them have it to
    post. Personally, I don't think it's that big of a deal. I've seen quite
    a few people who post their personal info all the time, including to
    this group, and they never seem to have problems. If you are in another
    situation, you may want to consider moving.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 26, 2007
  10. eoiajvoeijn

    Tester Guest

    wrote:

    >How do I get a post removed from google groups that was posted in the
    >newsgroups that contains my home address? They say on the one who
    >posted it can remove it.

    In theory it's easy to cancel a post, even those which ain't yours.
    (by forgery) Whether news servers (and Google groups) will honor the
    cancel is another thing.
    Many news servers no longer do anything with control: cancel posts
    because they've been abused so much.
    Tester, Aug 26, 2007
  11. eoiajvoeijn

    eoiajvoeijn Guest

    On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 18:09:31 +0100, Steve Wolstenholme
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 11:48:19 -0500, eoiajvoeijn <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>True but less than 1% even know about the newsgroups while everyone
    >>can access google and see the information.

    >Where do you get 1% from? How about 50% don't want to use Google.
    >Anyone on usenet with decent client application will find Google
    >groups clumsy.

    The 1% is a high estimate for those with Internet access who use
    Usenet.
    And if they are taken off by google then they won't show up on an
    INTERNET search.
    eoiajvoeijn, Aug 26, 2007
  12. On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 13:10:56 -0500, eoiajvoeijn <>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 18:09:31 +0100, Steve Wolstenholme
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 11:48:19 -0500, eoiajvoeijn <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>True but less than 1% even know about the newsgroups while everyone
    >>>can access google and see the information.

    >>Where do you get 1% from? How about 50% don't want to use Google.
    >>Anyone on usenet with decent client application will find Google
    >>groups clumsy.

    >The 1% is a high estimate for those with Internet access who use
    >Usenet.

    Yes, the Internet is essential to use Usenet but the Web isn't.
    OTOH the Internet and the Web are both needed to use Google.

    >And if they are taken off by google then they won't show up on an
    >INTERNET search.

    What's an INTERNET search?

    Are you assuming that the Internet and the Web are the same thing?

    In case you don't know, the Web was created in 1989. The Internet
    "evolved" around 1966.

    Steve

    Steve Wolstenholme, Aug 26, 2007
  13. eoiajvoeijn

    eoiajvoeijn Guest

    On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 23:22:25 +0100, Steve Wolstenholme
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 13:10:56 -0500, eoiajvoeijn <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 18:09:31 +0100, Steve Wolstenholme
    >><> wrote:

    >>>Where do you get 1% from? How about 50% don't want to use Google.
    >>>Anyone on usenet with decent client application will find Google
    >>>groups clumsy.

    >>The 1% is a high estimate for those with Internet access who use
    >>Usenet.

    >Yes, the Internet is essential to use Usenet but the Web isn't.
    >OTOH the Internet and the Web are both needed to use Google.
    >
    >>And if they are taken off by google then they won't show up on an
    >>INTERNET search.

    >What's an INTERNET search?
    >
    >Are you assuming that the Internet and the Web are the same thing?
    >
    >In case you don't know, the Web was created in 1989. The Internet
    >"evolved" around 1966.
    >
    >Steve

    You misunderstand me. I've been out here since '87 using local BBS's
    and I was using Mosiac Netscape from almost day one and I don't
    remember what I was using before that. My wife still uses Netscape
    because that's what she always used.
    I'm talking about a Google or Yahoo search. Once the information is
    off google groups it will be accessible only to those looking for it
    using a Usenet search.
    eoiajvoeijn, Aug 26, 2007
  14. eoiajvoeijn

    Mike Easter Guest

    eoiajvoeijn wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"
    >> eoiajvoeijn wrote:

    >>> How do I get a post removed from google groups

    >> You can't.

    >> Google spells out pretty clearly which posts they will remove from
    >> their archives, as you must be aware since you choose to be an XNA
    >> poster.

    > It doesn't matter whether I was an XNA poster as I didn't post the
    > information.

    You seem to be misunderstanding me about referring to your XNA.

    I'm saying that -1- you can't use the googletools to remove a post from
    the GG archive that you didn't post.

    What I said about your current XNA is simply that it is /another/ second
    indication that you are already familiar with google's policies.

    You have shown 2 things indicating a familiarity with google's
    olicies; -1- that they told you that you have no 'authority' to remove
    a post that you didn't make; and that -2- you like to use the XNA
    header which is almost entirely a 'google thing'.

    > Do you have any other ideas now that I've explained that I didn't post
    > in on google groups?

    No.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Aug 27, 2007
  15. eoiajvoeijn

    eoiajvoeijn Guest

    On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 16:17:01 -0700, "Mike Easter" <>
    wrote:

    >eoiajvoeijn wrote:

    >>> You can't.

    >>> Google spells out pretty clearly which posts they will remove from
    >>> their archives, as you must be aware since you choose to be an XNA
    >>> poster.

    >> It doesn't matter whether I was an XNA poster as I didn't post the
    >> information.

    >You seem to be misunderstanding me about referring to your XNA.
    >
    >I'm saying that -1- you can't use the googletools to remove a post from
    >the GG archive that you didn't post.
    >
    >What I said about your current XNA is simply that it is /another/ second
    >indication that you are already familiar with google's policies.
    >
    >You have shown 2 things indicating a familiarity with google's
    >olicies; -1- that they told you that you have no 'authority' to remove
    >a post that you didn't make; and that -2- you like to use the XNA
    >header which is almost entirely a 'google thing'.
    >
    >> Do you have any other ideas now that I've explained that I didn't post
    >> in on google groups?

    >No.

    Yes they do have the authority and they clearly spell that out in the
    help area. They just won't remove it and when they do they still leave
    the headers.
    I've never posted in a google group directly.
    eoiajvoeijn, Aug 27, 2007
  16. eoiajvoeijn

    Mike Easter Guest

    eoiajvoeijn wrote:

    > Yes they do have the authority and they clearly spell that out in the
    > help area. They just won't remove it and when they do they still leave
    > the headers.
    > I've never posted in a google group directly.

    When Deja News first began the process of archiving usenet posts, there
    were a lot of people unhappy about that. It was partly because of the
    unhappiness that the XNA header was 'born'.

    In your example of there being a usenet post which existence you find
    undesirable, if there were not a GG archive of it, it would likely
    eventually become (almost) 'lost' - because there aren't very many
    archiving services and for the ones which there are, none of them have
    the power or popularity of GG to make a piece of information available
    to so many people indefinitely.

    But in theory, even if GG eliminated the post, it could still be found
    on the newsservers which have long retention for a very long time and it
    could still be found on other archivers indefinitely.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Aug 27, 2007
  17. eoiajvoeijn

    ded Guest

    "eoiajvoeijn" <> wrote in message
    > How do I get a post removed from google groups that was posted in the
    > newsgroups that contains my home address? They say on the one who
    > posted it can remove it.

    I don't have anything constructive to offer in the way of a solution.
    I do know, as most others do also, that google have their arses covered
    in every legal aspect. From politicians through to Hollywood paranoids
    there have been legal challenges etc, if the rule still exists in google you
    can be pretty certain it will have been legally challenged at some point
    and failed.
    As an example, I do know that though they will remove a post if requested
    by the actual poster, they won't remove any other posts in the thread where
    the contents are quoted - and that apparently has been tested in court.
    And I do know that that they do apply differing rules depending on Global
    locality, the very obvious example is the legal test of free speech online
    in
    the States that has bizarrely resulted in the libel laws that apply to other
    media (newspapers, TV etc) do not apply to NG postings! Whereas here
    in UK, libel is libel whatever the medium, though one would have to prove
    the extent of damage etc. So a libelous statement posted in the states
    would remain in the google archive, but the same libelous posting made
    from the UK if brought to googles attention they would remove.
    Most know of the odd situation of google filtering anything nasty being
    seen by North Koreans of their mad dictator.
    In the context of what is available online, and specifically the lunacy that
    goes on unrestricted in the slime that is usenet, one individuals personal
    details in a post - you really don't have a hope of getting it removed.
    You may know of this google groups guide whereby you can post and ask
    others for solutions and google employees also answer specific posts.
    But you will also see the many posts similar to your situation, and the
    answer is always the same - no, it won't be removed.
    http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Groups-Guide
    ded, Aug 27, 2007
  18. eoiajvoeijn

    Guest

    eoiajvoeijn <> wrote:

    > I've been out here since '87 using local BBS's
    >and I was using Mosiac Netscape from almost day one and I don't
    >remember what I was using before that.

    Telemate; you were most likely a beamer.

    Since '87, you should of known better than posting your home address,
    that's a rookie mistake.

    --

    Ohio flood aftermath
    http://sevenels.net/flood/07flood.html
  19. eoiajvoeijn

    eoiajvoeijn Guest

    On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 18:13:33 -0700, wrote:

    > eoiajvoeijn <> wrote:
    >
    >> I've been out here since '87 using local BBS's
    >>and I was using Mosiac Netscape from almost day one and I don't
    >>remember what I was using before that.

    >Telemate; you were most likely a beamer.
    >
    >Since '87, you should of known better than posting your home address,
    >that's a rookie mistake.

    I didn't, it was a fluke.
    eoiajvoeijn, Aug 27, 2007
  20. eoiajvoeijn

    Vanguard Guest

    > How do I get a post removed from google groups that was posted in
    > the
    > newsgroups that contains my home address? They say on the one who
    > posted it can remove it.

    Google has their own mechanism from removing it from their servers.
    Since your post got propagated to other servers, and since cancels
    don't propagate or are ignored by the vast majority of servers, your
    old post will remain until the expiration occurs for the post which is
    dependent on the settings of each server some of which have an
    expiration of 5 years.
    Vanguard, Aug 27, 2007