    His idea is to cut a square of metal around the sticker and use a
    magnet to stick it to the new case but I'm sure there's a more elegant
    solution.

    A, Jan 4, 2006

  2. A

    EMB Guest

    A wrote:
    > A friend has just bought a new case and moved everything over to it.
    >
    > However his old case has his XP license sticker stuck to it.
    >
    > Any tips on how to move it across with damaging the sticker?
    >
    > His idea is to cut a square of metal around the sticker and use a
    > magnet to stick it to the new case but I'm sure there's a more elegant
    > solution.

    A single edged razor blade removes them well enough, and generally
    leaves enough glue on them for them to restick. It's easier if you warm
    them up a bit first too.

    * NB no criminal intent was involved when I did this, I just cocked up
    and stuck the wrong stickers on the cases of 2 PCs I built.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Jan 4, 2006

  3. A

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    >A wrote:
    >> A friend has just bought a new case and moved everything over to it.
    >>
    >> However his old case has his XP license sticker stuck to it.
    >>
    >> Any tips on how to move it across with damaging the sticker? His idea is
    >> to cut a square of metal around the sticker and use a
    >> magnet to stick it to the new case but I'm sure there's a more elegant
    >> solution.

    > A single edged razor blade removes them well enough, and generally leaves
    > enough glue on them for them to restick. It's easier if you warm them up
    > a bit first too.
    >
    > * NB no criminal intent was involved when I did this, I just cocked up and
    > stuck the wrong stickers on the cases of 2 PCs I built.
    >
    > --
    > EMB

    *lol* good save ;-)

    KB

    Krazy Bob, Jan 4, 2006
  4. A

    steve Guest

    A wrote:

    > A friend has just bought a new case and moved everything over to it.
    >
    > However his old case has his XP license sticker stuck to it.
    >
    > Any tips on how to move it across with damaging the sticker?
    >
    > His idea is to cut a square of metal around the sticker and use a
    > magnet to stick it to the new case but I'm sure there's a more elegant
    > solution.

    May not be legal to do it.

    steve, Jan 4, 2006
  5. A

    A Guest

    On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 12:56:58 +1300, steve
    <> wrote:

    >A wrote:
    >
    >> A friend has just bought a new case and moved everything over to it.
    >>
    >> However his old case has his XP license sticker stuck to it.
    >>
    >> Any tips on how to move it across with damaging the sticker?
    >>
    >> His idea is to cut a square of metal around the sticker and use a
    >> magnet to stick it to the new case but I'm sure there's a more elegant
    >> solution.

    >May not be legal to do it.

    May not be legal to take it off or may not be legal to transfer to
    another case? (and yes there is a difference)

    Common sense says that it should be ok but I suspect somewhere in the
    fineprint there is something prohibiting it.

    A, Jan 5, 2006
  6. In <> A wrote:
    > On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 12:56:58 +1300, steve
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>A wrote:
    >>
    >>> A friend has just bought a new case and moved everything over to it.
    >>>
    >>> However his old case has his XP license sticker stuck to it.
    >>>
    >>> Any tips on how to move it across with damaging the sticker?
    >>>
    >>> His idea is to cut a square of metal around the sticker and use a
    >>> magnet to stick it to the new case but I'm sure there's a more
    >>> elegant solution.

    >>May not be legal to do it.
    >>

    > May not be legal to take it off or may not be legal to transfer to
    > another case? (and yes there is a difference)
    >
    > Common sense says that it should be ok but I suspect somewhere in the
    > fineprint there is something prohibiting it.

    They can only stop you if you're shown a copy of this fine print and
    agree to its conditions before you purchase the computer. If not, then
    there is no agreement to be bound by.

    Buttercup: I got married. I didn't want to. It all happened so fast.

    Westley: Never happened.

    Buttercup: What?

    Westley: Never happened.

    Buttercup: But it did. I was there. This old man said "man and wife".

    Westley: Did you say "I do"?

    Buttercup: Uh, no. We sort of skipped that part.

    Westley: Then you're not married. If you didn't say it, you didn't do
    it.

    http://roger.geek.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Jan 5, 2006
  7. Roger Johnstone wrote:
    > Buttercup: I got married. I didn't want to. It all happened so fast.
    >
    > Westley: Never happened.
    >
    > Buttercup: What?
    >
    > Westley: Never happened.
    >
    > Buttercup: But it did. I was there. This old man said "man and wife".
    >
    > Westley: Did you say "I do"?
    >
    > Buttercup: Uh, no. We sort of skipped that part.
    >
    > Westley: Then you're not married. If you didn't say it, you didn't do
    > it.

    I think they key point is Buttercup didn't sign the necessary legal
    documents.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Jan 5, 2006
  8. A

    Shane Guest

    On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 08:15:06 +0000, Roger Johnstone wrote:

    > Buttercup: I got married. I didn't want to. It all happened so fast.
    >
    > Westley: Never happened.
    >
    > Buttercup: What?
    >
    > Westley: Never happened.
    >
    > Buttercup: But it did. I was there. This old man said "man and wife".
    >
    > Westley: Did you say "I do"?
    >
    > Buttercup: Uh, no. We sort of skipped that part.
    >
    > Westley: Then you're not married. If you didn't say it, you didn't do
    > it.

    My love is like a storybook story..

    --
    < asuffield> a workstation is anything you can stick on somebodies desk
    and con them into using

    Shane, Jan 5, 2006
  9. A

    *Owly* Guest

    "A" <> wrote in message
    > A friend has just bought a new case and moved everything over to it.
    >
    > However his old case has his XP license sticker stuck to it.
    >
    > Any tips on how to move it across with damaging the sticker?
    >
    > His idea is to cut a square of metal around the sticker and use a
    > magnet to stick it to the new case but I'm sure there's a more elegant
    > solution.

    If removing simply because you are rehoming the original components that the
    licence was sold with in another case, then there should be no reason why
    you not might use the *hairdryer* method to remove the sticker and put on
    the new case... I could of course be entirely wrong and expect that someone
    will advise me shortly if I am.

    Owly.

    *Owly*, Jan 6, 2006
  10. A

    A Guest

    On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 00:47:50 +1300, "*Owly*" <o*w*l*>
    wrote:

    >"A" <> wrote in message
    >> A friend has just bought a new case and moved everything over to it.
    >>
    >> However his old case has his XP license sticker stuck to it.
    >>
    >> Any tips on how to move it across with damaging the sticker?
    >>
    >> His idea is to cut a square of metal around the sticker and use a
    >> magnet to stick it to the new case but I'm sure there's a more elegant
    >> solution.

    >If removing simply because you are rehoming the original components that the
    >licence was sold with in another case, then there should be no reason why
    >you not might use the *hairdryer* method to remove the sticker and put on
    >the new case... I could of course be entirely wrong and expect that someone
    >will advise me shortly if I am.
    >
    >Owly.

    Sort of. Reminds me of the grandfathers axe atory (he's had the same
    axe for 40 years but has replaced the head 5 times and the handle 6
    times).

    I'm not sure whats left of the original as over time the bits got
    upgraded. The motherboard, CPU & ram definately have changed along
    with the CDRW and harddrive. That leaves the FDD, modem, and case the
    latter which is now changed.

    A, Jan 7, 2006