Removal and reinstatement of headers and footers when printing web pages

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ian Jackson, May 23, 2004.

  1. Ian Jackson

    Ian Jackson Guest

    When I print a web page(s) (whether 'live' or from a saved HTML file) I
    have always got a header (consisting of the name of the 'article' plus
    'Page x of y') and a footer consisting of the full filename (including
    path) and date of printing.

    I have discovered that this is caused by the entries in Print, Page
    Setup, Header field and Footer fields. The entries are '&w&bPage &p of
    &P' and '&u&b&d' respectively. Removing them prevents any header and
    footer from being added to the print.

    However, the problem is that the entries stay deleted - even after a
    reboot. To reinstate them, they have to be added manually (which is
    rather tedious). Is there an easy way of toggling between the two? Also,
    where (and what) are the 'rules' for this function?

    Cheers,
    Ian.

    Ian Jackson, May 23, 2004

  2. Ian Jackson

    Unk Guest

    On Sun, 23 May 2004 21:52:06 +0100, Ian Jackson
    <> wrote:

    >When I print a web page(s) (whether 'live' or from a saved HTML file) I
    >have always got a header (consisting of the name of the 'article' plus
    >'Page x of y') and a footer consisting of the full filename (including
    >path) and date of printing.
    >
    >I have discovered that this is caused by the entries in Print, Page
    >Setup, Header field and Footer fields. The entries are '&w&bPage &p of
    >&P' and '&u&b&d' respectively. Removing them prevents any header and
    >footer from being added to the print.
    >
    >However, the problem is that the entries stay deleted - even after a
    >reboot. To reinstate them, they have to be added manually (which is
    >rather tedious). Is there an easy way of toggling between the two? Also,
    >where (and what) are the 'rules' for this function?
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Ian.

    Copy & paste the fields to a text document before you delete them from the
    print options menu.

    Unk, May 23, 2004

  3. Ian Jackson

    Ian Jackson Guest

    In message <>, Unk
    <> writes
    >On Sun, 23 May 2004 21:52:06 +0100, Ian Jackson
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>When I print a web page(s) (whether 'live' or from a saved HTML file) I
    >>have always got a header (consisting of the name of the 'article' plus
    >>'Page x of y') and a footer consisting of the full filename (including
    >>path) and date of printing.
    >>
    >>I have discovered that this is caused by the entries in Print, Page
    >>Setup, Header field and Footer fields. The entries are '&w&bPage &p of
    >>&P' and '&u&b&d' respectively. Removing them prevents any header and
    >>footer from being added to the print.
    >>
    >>However, the problem is that the entries stay deleted - even after a
    >>reboot. To reinstate them, they have to be added manually (which is
    >>rather tedious). Is there an easy way of toggling between the two? Also,
    >>where (and what) are the 'rules' for this function?
    >>
    >>Cheers,
    >>Ian.

    >Copy & paste the fields to a text document before you delete them from the
    >print options menu.

    Yes, I can do that of course, but still a bit tedious.

    What I was thinking of was a way of having the default condition (each
    time you print) as having the header and footer, but to remove the text
    from the fields (with a quick swipe to highlight and a press of the
    'delete' key) if you don't.

    Ian.

    Ian Jackson, May 23, 2004