Removable HD tray

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Will Dearborn, Mar 17, 2005.

  1. Will Dearborn, Mar 17, 2005

  2. Will Dearborn

    Kawosa Guest

    Kawosa, Mar 17, 2005

  3. I have one computer, and 3 HD, each setup for diffent things. I was
    just wondering what is the posibility of a virus in memory or something
    transfering to the other HD.
    Will Dearborn, Mar 18, 2005
  4. Will Dearborn

    Plato Guest

    Will Dearborn wrote:

    > I have one computer, and 3 HD, each setup for diffent things. I was
    > just wondering what is the posibility of a virus in memory or something
    > transfering to the other HD.

    Wondering what exactly? Yes, a virus in the MBR will load into memory,
    but I'm not sure as to what you really need to know.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Mar 18, 2005
  5. The diferent hard drives are not in the computer at the same time. So
    is turning off the cumputer during the switching HD wiping the virus
    out of the memory, or is it still able to load onto next drive?
    Will Dearborn, Mar 18, 2005
  6. Will Dearborn

    Plato Guest

    Will Dearborn wrote:

    > The diferent hard drives are not in the computer at the same time. So
    > is turning off the cumputer during the switching HD wiping the virus
    > out of the memory, or is it still able to load onto next drive?

    Right, once the pc is turned off a bootsector virus that has loaded to
    memory will be killed. If you do have a boot sector virus tho on the
    hard drive its easy to get rid of anyway.
    Plato, Mar 18, 2005
  7. Will Dearborn

    Jerry G. Guest

    Jerry G., Mar 19, 2005
  8. I don't have any viruses now, I just wasn't sure of the spreading
    capabilities.
    Another question, is it possible for a virus to load into BIOS? I
    wouldn't think so, but I'm a newb.
    Will Dearborn, Mar 20, 2005
  9. Will Dearborn

    Robert Baer Guest

    Jerry G. wrote:

    > If you can read the drives in your computer, then the viruses also can, if
    > they are written to do so.

    My system used these for all hard drive positions: running drives
    (Primary Master, Secondary Master), and copies of the main working HD
    (Primary Master).
    I only insert a drive into the Secondary Master position when i need
    to use DriveCopy or Ghost to make a copy; when done it gets removed and
    placed into safe storage.
    Thus, when running, if i get a virus, it can only be on the inserted
    and running HD.
    So, if i am diligent, i deal with and remove the virus, both in
    whatever directory/directories it is hiding, as well as in the registry.
    And that is after i use Norton AV, Adaware, etc. for whateever
    removal they can do.
    If, for some reason it is not possible to !RIP! it out, then the HD
    copy is pressed into service as a master drive, updated and then copied
    to the garbled previous master.
    Then the copy acting as the master HD (is removed and) goes back into
    safe storage, and the "new" original master gets moved to Primary Master
    position for work.
    Thus, with one virus type exception, they cannot propagate.
    The exception would be where a virus wrote itself into the BIOS; in
    that case one is up the creek without a paddle, the boat or the river!
    Robert Baer, Mar 20, 2005
  10. Will Dearborn

    Robert Baer Guest

    Will Dearborn wrote:

    > I don't have any viruses now, I just wasn't sure of the spreading
    > capabilities.
    > Another question, is it possible for a virus to load into BIOS? I
    > wouldn't think so, but I'm a newb.

    Yes, there was talk a number of years ago, of some doing that.
    Do not know the status of such beasties at present.
    Robert Baer, Mar 20, 2005
  11. Will Dearborn

    Plato Guest

    Will Dearborn wrote:

    > Another question, is it possible for a virus to load into BIOS? I
    > wouldn't think so, but I'm a newb.

    No. But there was a virus that came out about ten years ago that
    actually destroyed the bios by overwriting the firmware in it with
    garbage, just like a flash.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Mar 20, 2005
  12. Will Dearborn

    Plato Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:

    > Yes, there was talk a number of years ago, of some doing that.
    > Do not know the status of such beasties at present.

    It was true, dont recall the name of the nasty tho. Lots of mobos got
    killed. At the same time a few replacement bios chip businesses were
    started :)

    In other words, one couldn't flash it back to original.
    Plato, Mar 20, 2005
  13. Will Dearborn

    Robert Baer Guest

    Plato wrote:
    > Robert Baer wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, there was talk a number of years ago, of some doing that.
    >> Do not know the status of such beasties at present.

    > It was true, dont recall the name of the nasty tho. Lots of mobos got
    > killed. At the same time a few replacement bios chip businesses were
    > started :)
    >
    > In other words, one couldn't flash it back to original.

    Was it determined why the BIOS could not be restored, assuming one
    had access to a complete "image" in the proper format?
    Robert Baer, Mar 21, 2005
  14. Will Dearborn

    Plato Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:

    > > In other words, one couldn't flash it back to original.
    > >

    > Was it determined why the BIOS could not be restored, assuming one
    > had access to a complete "image" in the proper format?

    If you cant boot to A: or any other boot device. You cant run a restore.
    Just like a flash gone bad really.
    Plato, Mar 21, 2005
  15. Will Dearborn

    Robert Baer Guest

    Plato wrote:
    > Robert Baer wrote:
    >
    >>>In other words, one couldn't flash it back to original.
    >>>

    >> Was it determined why the BIOS could not be restored, assuming one
    >>had access to a complete "image" in the proper format?

    > If you cant boot to A: or any other boot device. You cant run a restore.
    > Just like a flash gone bad really.

    Ah! Did not think of that.
    Thanks.
    Robert Baer, Mar 21, 2005
  16. Will Dearborn

    Wizard Guest

    Robert Baer <> wrote:
    > Plato wrote:

    >>> Was it determined why the BIOS could not be restored, assuming one
    >>> had access to a complete "image" in the proper format?

    >> If you cant boot to A: or any other boot device. You cant run a
    >> restore. Just like a flash gone bad really.
    >>

    > Ah! Did not think of that.

    That's because you're a complete fucking idiot.
    Wizard, Mar 21, 2005
  17. Will Dearborn

    Robert Baer Guest

    Wizard wrote:
    > Robert Baer <> wrote:
    >
    >>Plato wrote:

    >>>If you cant boot to A: or any other boot device. You cant run a
    >>>restore. Just like a flash gone bad really.
    >>>

    >> Ah! Did not think of that.

    > That's because you're a complete fucking idiot.

    If i am complete, thenthat makes me *PERFECT* !!
    Thanks for the compliment!
    Robert Baer, Mar 22, 2005
  18. Will Dearborn

    Mr Floppy Guest

    Robert Baer wiped, flushed and then wrote into alt.os.windows-xp:

    > Wizard wrote:
    >> Robert Baer <> wrote:

    >>> Ah! Did not think of that.

    >> That's because you're a complete fucking idiot.
    >>

    > If i am complete, thenthat makes me *PERFECT* !!
    > Thanks for the compliment!

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!.....COUGH...HACK...HACK....COUGH....HAHAHHAHA!!!!

    Yes, a PERFECT fucking idiot!

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

    --
    Mr Floppy
    Mr Floppy, Mar 22, 2005
  19. Will Dearborn

    Wizard Guest

    Robert Baer <> wrote:
    > Wizard wrote:
    >> Robert Baer <> wrote:

    >>> Ah! Did not think of that.

    >> That's because you're a complete fucking idiot.
    >>

    > If i am complete, thenthat makes me *PERFECT* !!
    > Thanks for the compliment!

    Empty fucking space is complete too, you retarded snotfuck.
    Wizard, Mar 22, 2005