RemoteSelector software

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Stan Brown, Apr 1, 2005.

  1. Stan Brown

    Stan Brown Guest

    Under Win XP Pro SP2, I've been trying to use Remote Selector
    <http://www.remoteselector.com/index.html>. (The page uses
    Javascipt-based navigation, sad to say.)

    This is an unsupported freeware product, so I'm hoping someone here
    has some experience with it and can help me.

    I have Power DVD, which is listed as a supported player. Remote
    Selector auto-senses Power DVD, and the "Start Player" button
    starts it up. But none of the commands on the Remote tab seem to do
    anything when I double-click them.

    I tried configuring Up, Down, Left, and Right as keyboard commands
    and enabling keyboard, but when I pressed the designated keys the
    DVD menu didn't respond. (If I use the Power DVD icons for up,
    down, left, and right, the cursor does move around the DVD menu.)

    I've read the Documentation file on the Web site, but it didn't
    address this problem. What obvious thing am I missng?

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Stan Brown, Apr 1, 2005

  2. Stan Brown

    Biz Guest

    What remote control unit are you trying to use with it?

    Biz, Apr 1, 2005

  3. Stan Brown

    Stan Brown Guest

    "Biz" wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >What remote control unit are you trying to use with it?

    Suddenly I feel very dumb. Are we supposed to use an actual remote
    control? I thought we were supposed to be able to do everything
    with the mouse. If it just adapts a remote control's transmissions
    that would explain why nothing happened. :)

    What sort of input port would I need? Would I point the remote at
    my computer's wireless port?

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Stan Brown, Apr 2, 2005
  4. Stan Brown

    Biz Guest

    "Stan Brown" <> wrote in message
    > "Biz" wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > >What remote control unit are you trying to use with it?

    > Suddenly I feel very dumb. Are we supposed to use an actual remote
    > control? I thought we were supposed to be able to do everything
    > with the mouse. If it just adapts a remote control's transmissions
    > that would explain why nothing happened. :)

    You can use any of the supported remotes, or keyboard commands. Most people
    use it more for its abilities under the control tab...it has always been a
    fantastic add-on for any of the mpeg decoding cards like the Dxr2/3/H+, and
    now the Sigma Designs XCard....

    I'm still trying to figure out what you were trying to do with the mouse?
    PowerDVD, or WinDVD or whatever allows you to do everything with a mouse
    anyway. Plus they both have quite extensive keyboard shortcuts as
    well...but it will still remove mv, make it region free, and disable user
    operations on most titles...

    Biz, Apr 2, 2005
  5. Stan Brown

    Stan Brown Guest

    "Biz" wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >I'm still trying to figure out what you were trying to do with the mouse?
    >PowerDVD, or WinDVD or whatever allows you to do everything with a mouse
    >anyway. Plus they both have quite extensive keyboard shortcuts as
    >well...but it will still remove mv, make it region free, and disable user
    >operations on most titles...

    PowerDVD does _not_ have the functions I need. I may be off on one
    or two of these, but it does not have most of: jump to specific
    chapter, jump to specific time, select subtitles, select languages,
    top memu. YThat's why I was looking for some add-on that will let
    me control DVDs betetr when playing them on my computer.

    You say PowerDVD can make a disk region free? How?

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Stan Brown, Apr 2, 2005
  6. On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 14:15:50 -0500, Stan Brown
    <> wrote:

    >"Biz" wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >>I'm still trying to figure out what you were trying to do with the mouse?
    >>PowerDVD, or WinDVD or whatever allows you to do everything with a mouse
    >>anyway. Plus they both have quite extensive keyboard shortcuts as
    >>well...but it will still remove mv, make it region free, and disable user
    >>operations on most titles...

    >PowerDVD does _not_ have the functions I need. I may be off on one
    >or two of these, but it does not have most of: jump to specific
    >chapter, jump to specific time, select subtitles, select languages,
    >top memu. YThat's why I was looking for some add-on that will let
    >me control DVDs betetr when playing them on my computer.

    It has ALL of those. Right-click the viewing window while playing and
    everything you've listed will be there.

    .. Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Apr 2, 2005
  7. Stan Brown

    Biz Guest

    Stan, what version of PowerDVD are you using 1.0beta? ;) Steve is correct,
    it has all those functions, at least my old version 4 XP has all those
    functions. And to answer your other question, remoteselector removes all
    that stuff, not PowerDVD....

    Biz, Apr 2, 2005
  8. Stan Brown

    Stan Brown Guest

    "Steve(JazzHunter)" wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >It has ALL of those. Right-click the viewing window while playing and
    >everything you've listed will be there.

    Well, thanks! Believe it or not, it never occurred to me to do
    that. I thought I was dependent on that simulation of a front
    panel. (And I could never remember what any of the icons stood for,
    even five minutes after looking them up in the help file.) This
    does indeed offer a lot of what I want.

    The remaining problem is that a number of those selections are
    greyed out. For instance, the language choices are listed but
    greyed out, presumably because the disk author(*) felt I couldn't
    be trusted to click on a language selection while watching the
    movie and needed to do it through the main menu.

    Any way to tell PowerDVD to disregard those programmed limitations?
    Going through the PowerDVD preference screens I don't see anything
    useful, but I know there are some standalone players that will do
    it.

    (*)In case you're curious, the movie is BIG EDEN. There is a
    commentary track, but since there are no subtitles I need to switch
    back and forth o follow what's going on in the movie.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Stan Brown, Apr 3, 2005
  9. Stan Brown

    Stan Brown Guest

    Stan Brown, Apr 3, 2005
  10. Stan Brown

    Biz Guest

    "Stan Brown" <> wrote in message
    > "Steve(JazzHunter)" wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > >It has ALL of those. Right-click the viewing window while playing and
    > >everything you've listed will be there.

    > Well, thanks! Believe it or not, it never occurred to me to do
    > that. I thought I was dependent on that simulation of a front
    > panel. (And I could never remember what any of the icons stood for,
    > even five minutes after looking them up in the help file.) This
    > does indeed offer a lot of what I want.
    >
    > The remaining problem is that a number of those selections are
    > greyed out. For instance, the language choices are listed but
    > greyed out, presumably because the disk author(*) felt I couldn't
    > be trusted to click on a language selection while watching the
    > movie and needed to do it through the main menu.
    >
    > Any way to tell PowerDVD to disregard those programmed limitations?
    > Going through the PowerDVD preference screens I don't see anything
    > useful, but I know there are some standalone players that will do
    > it.
    >
    > (*)In case you're curious, the movie is BIG EDEN. There is a
    > commentary track, but since there are no subtitles I need to switch
    > back and forth o follow what's going on in the movie.

    Launch remoteselector, make sure you have it setup correctly under teh
    control tab, 1st enable it, and make sure you check disable user
    prohibitions. Of course ripping the dvd to your pc will also remove most of
    the user prohibitions, have remoteselector launch PowerDVD...

    Biz, Apr 3, 2005
  11. Stan Brown

    Stan Brown Guest

    Stan Brown, Apr 4, 2005