    rural area and two young male deer (two points) have started to come up
    to the house. I want to set the camera up on a tripod and shoot them
    from inside the house. If I am outside at all they spook and run away.
    Carol, Dec 16, 2006

  2. Carol wrote:
    > Thank you in advance for your help.
    >
    > I shot with a Nikon Coolpix 8700 and need some type of remote shutter
    > release that will allow me to be about 12 feet away from the camera.
    > Using the self timer feature would be useless for my needs. I live in a
    > rural area and two young male deer (two points) have started to come up
    > to the house. I want to set the camera up on a tripod and shoot them
    > from inside the house. If I am outside at all they spook and run away.

    They used to sell a remote release for the 8700 (it's the same one for
    the 8800). However, I cannot find it on the Nikon web site any more.
    When I was buying the Coolpix I ended up with the 8800 because it came
    with the remote release and I could get it for less than the cost of the
    8700 plus the remote release.

    --
    - Barry
    Barry L. Wallis, Dec 16, 2006

  3. Carol

    Carol Guest

    Hi Barry

    I know a shutter release was made for the 8700 but it was much to
    short. I need something that is about 12 feet long because the deer
    come as close as 8 feet from my front door. I will need a few extra
    feet to get the shutter release into the house.
    Carol, Dec 16, 2006
  4. Carol <> wrote:
    : Hi Barry

    : I know a shutter release was made for the 8700 but it was much to
    : short. I need something that is about 12 feet long because the deer
    : come as close as 8 feet from my front door. I will need a few extra
    : feet to get the shutter release into the house.

    Take a look at the plug. Some camera manufacturers tell you that they use
    a proprietary plug. But I found that some cameras (like my pentax) use a
    standard micro-mini stereo plug. So I went and got a 20 ft earphone
    extension cable and a couple adapters between the micro mini to mini (that
    the cable had) for each end. This lets me extend the wired remote to
    almost any length.

    I don't know the specifics of your camera but it may be worth a look and
    possibly a trip to your local Radio Shack. :)

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL
    Randy Berbaum, Dec 16, 2006
  5. Carol

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 04:58:57 +0000 (UTC), Randy Berbaum wrote:

    > : I know a shutter release was made for the 8700 but it was much to
    > : short. I need something that is about 12 feet long because the deer
    > : come as close as 8 feet from my front door. I will need a few extra
    > : feet to get the shutter release into the house.
    >
    > Take a look at the plug. Some camera manufacturers tell you that they use
    > a proprietary plug. But I found that some cameras (like my pentax) use a
    > standard micro-mini stereo plug. So I went and got a 20 ft earphone
    > extension cable and a couple adapters between the micro mini to mini (that
    > the cable had) for each end. This lets me extend the wired remote to
    > almost any length.
    >
    > I don't know the specifics of your camera but it may be worth a look and
    > possibly a trip to your local Radio Shack. :)

    Nikon's MC-EU1 cable release is more complex than releases that
    are basically little more than make/break electrical switches. It's
    a computerized cable release that communicates with the camera at
    19.2kbd. While it's possible to make a 12 or 20ft extension, to
    prevent high data error rates it would be best to use high quality
    cables (low capacitance), use gold connectors where possible (they
    don't have to be real gold - the gold colored connectors are *much*
    quieter and don't have the signal dropouts typically seen with the
    cheap silver colored connectors). Given some of the features of the
    remote such as zooming the lens and scrolling through images in
    playback mode, it's not surprising that the remote's cord is only 31
    inches long.

    According to Nikon's website, their Coolpix Remote Control
    software is for the CP8400 and CP8800. It might be worth checking
    to see if it's also compatible with the CP8700. For example, when
    reading the information for the CP8700's remote control, Nikon only
    indicates that it's for their CP880, CP990, L1 and S4 models.

    http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=276&productNr=25692
    ASAAR, Dec 16, 2006
  6. Carol

    Paul Bartram Guest

    "Carol" <> wrote

    > I shot with a Nikon Coolpix 8700 and need some type of remote shutter
    > release that will allow me to be about 12 feet away from the camera.
    > Using the self timer feature would be useless for my needs. I live in a
    > rural area and two young male deer (two points) have started to come up
    > to the house. I want to set the camera up on a tripod and shoot them
    > from inside the house. If I am outside at all they spook and run away.

    This might or might not be of use, but see
    http://www.angelfire.com/ga2/photo/bracket.html for a home-made solution
    which should work on pretty much any camera. For a 12 foot reach, you'd
    probably have to cobble together a cable from plastic tubing and piano /
    fence wire, but then I guess for just this one subject you don't want to
    spend big bucks on store bought gear!

    Paul
    Paul Bartram, Dec 16, 2006
  7. Carol

    Joan Guest

    The best thing about that method, is that it won't do any harm to the
    camera.

    --
    Joan

    :
    Joan, Dec 16, 2006
  8. Carol

    Carol Guest

    Good Morning Paul

    The link you sent look great! I am heading out to my local Home Depot
    and to Radio Shack and see if I can put something together.

    One of the male deer was on my deck this morning looking in my kitchen
    window. I am a former city girl I have only lived in the 'country' for
    a few months and all this is very exciting to me. I am going to try to
    sit on the deck early in the morning and see if they will come near
    enough to me to shoot them without a remote.

    Again, thank you all for great info and suggestions!!!

    Carol
    Carol, Dec 16, 2006
  9. Carol

    Carol Guest

    Thank you Paul your linked info worked like a charm!!!!

    I was not able to create a cable long enough to take the pictures from
    inside the house. These were taken from my deck sitting behind a tarp.
    The bucks did not come back but I was able to get some shots of a few
    does and their babies.

    Not being able to make any adjustments before I shot them was an
    interesting experience. I did not edit any of the shots.

    http://picasaweb.google.com/A18436/WiredRemoteForNikon8700?authkey=7t8svgEN6DY

    Again thank you for sharing your knowledge with me.

    Carol

    Carol, Jan 13, 2007
  10. Carol

    Paul Bartram Guest

    "Carol" <> wrote

    (Referring to ) http://www.angelfire.com/ga2/photo/bracket.html

    > Again thank you for sharing your knowledge with me.

    No problem - it was passed onto me by someone else, that's how it goes in a
    good community like photographers.

    Incidentally, I'm very jealous of your view. Currently I'm looking out my
    window at the side of the wooden house next door, which I could lean out and
    touch!

    Paul
    Paul Bartram, Jan 13, 2007
  11. Carol

    Carol Guest

    Paul

    I know exactly what you mean. I moved to the 'country' in September.
    My old house was so close to the neighbors that when they sneezed I
    could pass them a tissue through the window while sitting at my kitchen
    table without getting up.

    Carol

    Carol, Jan 13, 2007