    people in this group might find such device useful.

    ---
    Victor
    victor, Mar 21, 2006

  2. In article <>,
    victor <> wrote:

    > I have built a little infrared-based shutter release
    > device that would work with pretty much any camera as long as the
    > camera is not too big and the shutter release button is more or less
    > level.

    Let me ask about that: do I have to be standing in front of the camera
    for the shutter release to work? Often I'm taking pictures on a tripod
    for a 360-degree panorama, and I don't want to be in the picture.

    Such a shutter release would be very nice, if I don't have to be
    standing in front of the camera to use it.

    Oh, and is it camera-specific? Can my wife use it on her Rebel, and I
    can use it on my D70?

    Phil Stripling, Mar 21, 2006

  3. victor

    victor Guest

    The receiving module can be turned around, so you can control it from
    the front or from the back.

    It is not camera specific, but both Rebel and D70 are kinda big and
    would require a big platform. A couple of protos I've built would
    accept cameras 2"-3" high and up to 5" wide, but it is not difficult to
    build a bigger version if there is enough interest.
    victor, Mar 21, 2006
  4. In article <>,
    victor <> wrote:

    > A couple of protos I've built would
    > accept cameras 2"-3" high and up to 5" wide,

    Okay, thanks for the information.

    Phil Stripling, Mar 21, 2006
  5. victor

    Frank B Guest

    This sounds intriguing. Could you take a picture of the device so we can
    see it?

    Frank B, Mar 22, 2006
  6. victor

    victor Guest

    victor, Mar 22, 2006
  7. victor

    Crash Gordon Guest

    Crash Gordon, Mar 22, 2006
  8. victor

    Guest

    >Interesting. Why not make it RF instead of IR, then you can stand anywhere.

    In fact, this is exactly what I was thinking of doing in the next
    version. My bigger question is a viability of this device as a product
    considering its mechanical nature. I would personally perfer to use USB
    port, but it would require lots of reverse engineering and testing for
    each model - that's the reason I decided to start with a solenoid-based
    gadget.
    , Mar 22, 2006
  9. victor

    Guest

    Yes, I am very interested about this.
    I was also looking for compact camera with remote. I could not find a
    single modern (what can be bought) camera with remote.

    Please make available the schematics and technical details.

    How much did it cost to build this setup??
    , Mar 22, 2006
  10. victor

    Tom2000 Guest

    Tom2000, Mar 22, 2006
  11. victor

    Tom2000 Guest

    On 21 Mar 2006 20:48:58 -0800, wrote:

    >>Interesting. Why not make it RF instead of IR, then you can stand anywhere.

    >In fact, this is exactly what I was thinking of doing in the next
    >version. My bigger question is a viability of this device as a product
    >considering its mechanical nature. I would personally perfer to use USB
    >port, but it would require lots of reverse engineering and testing for
    >each model - that's the reason I decided to start with a solenoid-based
    >gadget.

    Victor, you might take a look a the RF transmitter and receiver module
    linked below, if you haven't chosen your equipment yet. I've
    purchased a couple of sets for a remote I'm building. The price is
    right, and they work well:

    http://tinyurl.com/h6zgb

    Note that the receiver is available in both latching and non-latching
    configurations. Make sure you specify non-latching if you order
    these.

    Tom
    Tom2000, Mar 22, 2006
  12. victor

    victor Guest

    >Yes, I am very interested about this.
    >I was also looking for compact camera with remote. I could not find a
    >single modern (what can be bought) camera with remote.

    >Please make available the schematics and technical details.

    >How much did it cost to build this setup??

    The bill of materials has about 50 parts, the cost of the parts in
    single quantities is $25-$30 depending on the source, the bulk of the
    cost being a solenoid - $11. This does not include the labor for the
    brackets and the PCB which was mine. I am in the process of patenting
    and marketing this device, so I'd rather not provide detailed building
    instructions at the moment. If anyone is interested in buying it,
    please contact me directly via e-mail.

    Thanks for all the good comments and advice.

    ---
    Victor
    victor, Mar 23, 2006
  13. victor

    Ralph Guest

    Please excuse my ignorance, but what do you use a shutter release for?
    My understanding is that a shutter release is different to a shutter
    operation.
    TIA

    Ralph, Mar 24, 2006
  14. victor

    Guest

    Hi Victor,

    Before going through too much trouble with patents, take a look at
    this:

    http://freepatentsonline.com/4707127.html

    It describes pretty much the same thing except that the solenoid
    presses the cable plunger instead of the shutter button on the camera.
    Is that a big enough difference, who knows??
    , Mar 24, 2006