    the computers are located far away from each other. I need to format all of
    these machines, and I don't want to have to go to each and every computer.
    It would take forever. How can I do this?
    Mistercmk, Jun 1, 2004

  2. Mistercmk

    Hamman Guest

    "Mistercmk" <>
    wrote in message news:vT2vc.26691$3x.3495@attbi_s54...
    > I am the IT manager for a company with computers running Windows XP, and

    all
    > the computers are located far away from each other. I need to format all

    of
    > these machines, and I don't want to have to go to each and every computer.
    > It would take forever. How can I do this?

    You need to create a boot server, and a set of network boot disks.
    Create the windows installation on the boot server and set the network disks
    to load from it.
    Afterwards you can connect the machines back to the domain and deploy your
    applications in the normal way.

    You might want to ask in one of the M$ server groups for more specific
    details.

    hamman
    Hamman, Jun 1, 2004

  3. Mistercmk

    Mistercmk Guest

    "Hamman" <> wrote in message

    > "Mistercmk"

    <>
    > wrote in message news:vT2vc.26691$3x.3495@attbi_s54...
    > > I am the IT manager for a company with computers running Windows XP, and

    > all
    > > the computers are located far away from each other. I need to format

    all
    > of
    > > these machines, and I don't want to have to go to each and every

    computer.
    > > It would take forever. How can I do this?
    > >

    > You need to create a boot server, and a set of network boot disks.
    > Create the windows installation on the boot server and set the network

    disks
    > to load from it.
    > Afterwards you can connect the machines back to the domain and deploy your
    > applications in the normal way.
    >
    > You might want to ask in one of the M$ server groups for more specific
    > details.
    >
    > hamman

    I just want a way to format the hard drives, and not install another OS. We
    will be upgrading machines, and just want a way to wipe them where they are
    now, and then the new machines which have been already set up will just be
    swapped in. Thanks
    Mistercmk, Jun 2, 2004
  4. Mistercmk

    Thor Guest

    "Mistercmk" <>
    wrote in message news:VN7vc.32684$eY2.25969@attbi_s02...

    > "Hamman" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Mistercmk"

    > <>
    > > wrote in message news:vT2vc.26691$3x.3495@attbi_s54...
    > > > I am the IT manager for a company with computers running Windows XP,

    and
    > > all
    > > > the computers are located far away from each other. I need to format

    > all
    > > of
    > > > these machines, and I don't want to have to go to each and every

    > computer.
    > > > It would take forever. How can I do this?
    > > >

    > > You need to create a boot server, and a set of network boot disks.
    > > Create the windows installation on the boot server and set the network

    > disks
    > > to load from it.
    > > Afterwards you can connect the machines back to the domain and deploy

    your
    > > applications in the normal way.
    > >
    > > You might want to ask in one of the M$ server groups for more specific
    > > details.
    > >
    > > hamman
    > >

    > I just want a way to format the hard drives, and not install another OS.

    We
    > will be upgrading machines, and just want a way to wipe them where they

    are
    > now, and then the new machines which have been already set up will just be
    > swapped in. Thanks

    So you want to format them for security reasons? Hate to tell you this, but
    merely formatting them is not permanently erasing the data. You need
    something like a zero-fill utility to do an effective job of erasing the
    drives.
    Thor, Jun 2, 2004
  5. Mistercmk

    Mistercmk Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > "Mistercmk"

    <>
    > wrote in message news:VN7vc.32684$eY2.25969@attbi_s02...
    > >
    > > "Hamman" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Mistercmk"

    > > <>

    > and
    > > > all

    format
    > > all
    > > > of

    > > computer.
    > > > >

    > > > You need to create a boot server, and a set of network boot disks.
    > > > Create the windows installation on the boot server and set the network

    > > disks
    > > > to load from it.
    > > > Afterwards you can connect the machines back to the domain and deploy

    > your
    > > > applications in the normal way.
    > > >
    > > > You might want to ask in one of the M$ server groups for more specific
    > > > details.
    > > >
    > > > hamman
    > > >

    > > I just want a way to format the hard drives, and not install another OS.

    > We
    > > will be upgrading machines, and just want a way to wipe them where they

    > are
    > > now, and then the new machines which have been already set up will just

    be
    > > swapped in. Thanks

    > So you want to format them for security reasons? Hate to tell you this,

    but
    > merely formatting them is not permanently erasing the data. You need
    > something like a zero-fill utility to do an effective job of erasing the
    > drives.

    I just want to format them so we can re-use the machines for something else,
    and thought it would be easier to do before they are swapped out for the new
    machines. That way we don't need to worry about whats on the hard drive in
    the future.
    Mistercmk, Jun 2, 2004