remote operation

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by clutch@lycos.com, Mar 20, 2005.

  1. Guest

    My uncle asked me if there was a way to set his camera up near his
    bird feeder and watch out his back window and trip his camera from his
    position.

    Well, that got me thinking. He has a Minolta Z1, I have a Sony P32
    and V1.

    I looked at my P32 and it doesn't look like anything other than a
    solenoid or air cylinder would work w/o cutting into it.

    My V3 can accept a wired remote that snaps picture, runs zoom, ect so
    I think that interface is a bit more than making a contact.

    I have no idea on what the Z1 can do.

    My co-workers Canon S230 IIRC, can be triggered from usb port though
    running usb 100 feet would not work.

    So does anyone have some clues on how to trip a camera remotely? I am
    fairly handy at electronics if I know what it is I am connecting to.

    TIA,

    Wes
    --
    Reply to:
    Lycos address is a spam trap.

  2. Pete D Guest

    Get a USB extender, they use CAT 5 cable and will go 150 feet.

    Pete D, Mar 20, 2005

  3. Guest

    "Pete D" <> wrote:

    >Get a USB extender, they use CAT 5 cable and will go 150 feet.

    That would work with my co-workers camera. I didn't know these things
    existed.

    Now I have learned that my v3 uses Lanc protocal so I am trying to
    learn about that one.

    thanks,

    Wes

    --
    Reply to:
    Lycos address is a spam trap.
  4. Pete D Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > "Pete D" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Get a USB extender, they use CAT 5 cable and will go 150 feet.

    > That would work with my co-workers camera. I didn't know these things
    > existed.
    >
    > Now I have learned that my v3 uses Lanc protocal so I am trying to
    > learn about that one.

    Sony Lanc is the Sony version of Firewire or 1394, the distance will be
    less.
    Pete D, Mar 21, 2005
  5. writes:

    > My uncle asked me if there was a way to set his camera up near his
    > bird feeder and watch out his back window and trip his camera from his
    > position.
    >
    > Well, that got me thinking. He has a Minolta Z1, I have a Sony P32
    > and V1.
    >
    > I looked at my P32 and it doesn't look like anything other than a
    > solenoid or air cylinder would work w/o cutting into it.
    >
    > My V3 can accept a wired remote that snaps picture, runs zoom, ect so
    > I think that interface is a bit more than making a contact.
    >
    > I have no idea on what the Z1 can do.
    >
    > My co-workers Canon S230 IIRC, can be triggered from usb port though
    > running usb 100 feet would not work.
    >
    > So does anyone have some clues on how to trip a camera remotely? I am
    > fairly handy at electronics if I know what it is I am connecting to.

    Some cameras have a infrared remote control (for example my Olympus cameras use
    a RM-1 control). I've seen where people use a fiber optic cable to pipe the
    light from the control to the camera. You probably will need to disable the
    camera from going to sleep, and with most cameras there is a 2-10 second delay
    to allow for self portraits.

    If your camera uses USB controls, you could always investigate putting a cheap
    computer near the camera (such as an old laptop), and use 802.11 wireless to
    talk to the computer from your main computer.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, Mar 23, 2005