Remote Home Security & Surveillance

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, Sep 17, 2004.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Remote Home Security & Surveillance

    Hello.

    I am interested in having the ability to capture motion stills to the
    internet from a webcam in my home, for security.

    I am also interested in being able to go on the internet from anywhere
    in the world and connect to the webcam and see what's happening in my
    home.

    I currently have one regular security camera that I bought which isn't
    a webcam type, but is the type that connects to a VCR and tells the
    VCR when to start and stop recording (when it detects motion).

    Can I use this camera also for the internet captures and remote
    Surveillance? That one I have is actually a wired camera, but I was
    just interested if I could also connect it to my system for that
    purpose, besides, or in addition to it being connected to a VCR?

    I would like to have a small wireless webcam in one room in my house
    to start with, and to then expand the system to have more later. Is
    it possible to have more than one?

    I also, wondered whether it was possible to have a set up where I
    don't actually need to have my home computer system switched on for
    the cameras to work? Is it possible for the camera to work without
    the computer being on, and to capture from them to the web when motion
    is detected, and to dial into them? Or would the system need to be on
    the whole time I was away?

    Is there also anything that can send a text message alert to a mobile
    phone as well?

    Finally, what things should I be looking at in order to do any of the
    above (if possible) at the lowest cost, without sacrificing quality,
    or getting a product that needs avoiding?

    I have not researched into this sort of stuff for a while so all I
    really know a tiny bit about is the X10 stuff.

    Cheers very much for any help

    John

    My System:
    Win Xp Pro, Ati 9600 Aiw, AMD Barton 2500, 1GB Memory, 168GB/3 HDDs.

    John, Sep 17, 2004

  2. John

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Remote Home Security & Surveillance
    >
    > Hello.
    >
    > I am interested in having the ability to capture motion stills to the
    > internet from a webcam in my home, for security.
    >
    > I am also interested in being able to go on the internet from anywhere
    > in the world and connect to the webcam and see what's happening in my
    > home.
    >
    > I currently have one regular security camera that I bought which isn't
    > a webcam type, but is the type that connects to a VCR and tells the
    > VCR when to start and stop recording (when it detects motion).
    >
    > Can I use this camera also for the internet captures and remote
    > Surveillance? That one I have is actually a wired camera, but I was
    > just interested if I could also connect it to my system for that
    > purpose, besides, or in addition to it being connected to a VCR?
    >
    > I would like to have a small wireless webcam in one room in my house
    > to start with, and to then expand the system to have more later. Is
    > it possible to have more than one?
    >
    > I also, wondered whether it was possible to have a set up where I
    > don't actually need to have my home computer system switched on for
    > the cameras to work? Is it possible for the camera to work without
    > the computer being on, and to capture from them to the web when motion
    > is detected, and to dial into them? Or would the system need to be on
    > the whole time I was away?
    >
    > Is there also anything that can send a text message alert to a mobile
    > phone as well?
    >
    > Finally, what things should I be looking at in order to do any of the
    > above (if possible) at the lowest cost, without sacrificing quality,
    > or getting a product that needs avoiding?
    >
    > I have not researched into this sort of stuff for a while so all I
    > really know a tiny bit about is the X10 stuff.
    >
    > Cheers very much for any help

    Checkout the X10 stuff, I know people using it to watch their homes and
    kids while at work.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Leythos, Sep 17, 2004

  3. John

    BruceR Guest

    Don't use any of the X10 stuff that purports to do this - it's all junk.
    What you want is a video server/DVR. Search ebay for "video server" for
    lot's of options. I currently use a Sanyo unit that I picked up on
    ebay. It supports 4 cameras and has a built in motion detector and has a
    video loop out to a VCR or monitor. You can use your existing cameras.
    It records to a Compact Flash card and can send emails when motion is
    detected on any camera. It plugs into my router and is accessible over
    the internet.
    The CF card has limited capacity and is slow so I just ordered a new
    unit that does all the same things but has a hard drive instead of the
    CF card. I haven't received it yet so I can't tell you how I like it.
    While you could buy a card for your PC that does the same thing, the
    beauty of these units is that they don't use a PC at all, don't rely on
    Windows, and you can leave it off when you're away. That being said, you
    could use an older PC that may be in the closet, add the video server
    card which you can find on ebay cheap, and save some money.
    The Sanyo unit is rock solid and their customer service is superb.
    However, given that the price for the unit I just bought with the hard
    drive is less than the Sanyo and other similar units you should check it
    out at:
    http://tinyurl.com/4xvnq

    From:John

    BruceR, Sep 17, 2004
  4. John

    Si Ballenger Guest

    On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 19:51:26 +0100, John <> wrote:

    >Remote Home Security & Surveillance
    >
    >Hello.
    >
    >I am interested in having the ability to capture motion stills to the
    >internet from a webcam in my home, for security.
    >
    >I am also interested in being able to go on the internet from anywhere
    >in the world and connect to the webcam and see what's happening in my
    >home.
    >
    >I currently have one regular security camera that I bought which isn't
    >a webcam type, but is the type that connects to a VCR and tells the
    >VCR when to start and stop recording (when it detects motion).
    >
    >Can I use this camera also for the internet captures and remote
    >Surveillance? That one I have is actually a wired camera, but I was
    >just interested if I could also connect it to my system for that
    >purpose, besides, or in addition to it being connected to a VCR?
    >
    >I would like to have a small wireless webcam in one room in my house
    >to start with, and to then expand the system to have more later. Is
    >it possible to have more than one?
    >
    >I also, wondered whether it was possible to have a set up where I
    >don't actually need to have my home computer system switched on for
    >the cameras to work? Is it possible for the camera to work without
    >the computer being on, and to capture from them to the web when motion
    >is detected, and to dial into them? Or would the system need to be on
    >the whole time I was away?
    >
    >Is there also anything that can send a text message alert to a mobile
    >phone as well?
    >
    >Finally, what things should I be looking at in order to do any of the
    >above (if possible) at the lowest cost, without sacrificing quality,
    >or getting a product that needs avoiding?
    >
    >I have not researched into this sort of stuff for a while so all I
    >really know a tiny bit about is the X10 stuff.
    >
    >Cheers very much for any help

    You can use your wired cam with a capture card in your computer
    to do some of what you want. I've got a page below that shows a
    simple setup for a webcam that can capture pix to the hard drive.
    If you don't want to use a computer, then you should check into
    the new IP cams.

    http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/webcamsetup.htm

    Si Ballenger, Sep 18, 2004
  5. On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 23:03:28 GMT, shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net (Si
    Ballenger) wrote:

    >You can use your wired cam with a capture card in your computer
    >to do some of what you want. I've got a page below that shows a
    >simple setup for a webcam that can capture pix to the hard drive.
    >If you don't want to use a computer, then you should check into
    >the new IP cams.
    >
    >http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/webcamsetup.htm

    Nice stuff..will have a decent look later.

    In the meantime, I can recommend a freeware cam app called Pryme -
    which features motion detection and ftp capabilities.
    Don't know if it's what's required - but might be worth a look.
    It's widely available out there.

    Regards,

    www.shwoodwind.co.uk

    Stephen Howard, Sep 18, 2004
  6. John

    Bob Guest

    Checkout this little application: http://www.supervisioncam.com/

    Some of the features:
    FTP images
    Email images
    Motion detection
    Scheduling
    Can monitor multiple cameras
    Video, stills and audio capture (all at the same time if you want)
    External trigger can be used to start recording (via joystick port)
    Run programs or audio file when motion detected
    Use cheap wbcams and/or analogue camera with capture card

    And all of this works in the free version (you just get a name stamp on the
    capture images).

    If anyone knows of something better please post here.

    Bob

    Bob, Sep 19, 2004
  7. Maybe not quite as flexible but I use this one at my home... thanks for the
    other link none-the-less!

    http://www.visiongs.com/

    I currently use VisionGS PE V1.21, not the most recent version.

    Rossco in Oshawa, Sep 19, 2004
  8. John

    Eagletron Guest

    Our CamPanel oftware should do most of what you need:

    http://www.trackercam.com/campanel

    Currently it works only with wired cameras and also you DO need to
    keep your home computer on - a webcam works only while a computer is
    on. However, you can tell the software to upload images to an ftp site
    when motion is detected.

    Hope this helps.

    Eagletron, Sep 20, 2004
  9. John

    John Guest

    I think I'm looking for a Video server so I don't have to have my
    system on all the time. I often spend a lot of weeks out of the UK,
    so it isn't good to leave the system switched on. Also, if there is a
    power cut there is no way to get the system back up and running when
    I'm not there.

    I think I'm just going to try and find a cheapish video server for 2
    or 4 cameras.

    Cheers

    John

    John, Sep 21, 2004
  10. Greetings John - You might want to check out the following demo sites and I
    can help you further if they are of any interest to you.
    http://43.244.37.129 , http://66.0.165.110

    Regards,

    Kevin

    Elza Dontcheva, Sep 21, 2004
  11. John

    G. Morgan Guest

    Someone named "Elza Dontcheva" <> Proclaimed on Tue,
    21 Sep 2004 18:12:44 GMT,

    >Greetings John - You might want to check out the following demo sites and I
    >can help you further if they are of any interest to you.
    >http://43.244.37.129 , http://66.0.165.110

    Major software error when installing the mutiview .cab's

    Is this software compatible with Windows XP?

    G. Morgan, Sep 21, 2004
  12. John

    rory Guest

    http://www.cctvtime.com/shopexd.asp?id=10215

    Very good stable and strong DVR, plug it in a closet connect cameras,
    power it up and leave it. Connect to a cable or dsl modem and you can
    view remotely from anywhere, powerful remote software, remote
    configuration of the DVR, and you can watch video from up to 16 of
    these DVRs in one multi window, 64 camera view total. Built in video
    server for direct internet access using browser also.

    I have these all over the island here in the Bahamas. There is another
    version with audio and 60pps, or another with 120pps and DVD instead
    of CD. All use Embedded Nucleous OS, stable.

    Now that is what I would suggest if you have the dollars, if not,
    check out this one: Great just for home use or cheap retail installs:
    http://www.spytown.com/iksd4chdivir.html

    rory, Sep 24, 2004